• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

I'm not sure there's much that could be done to make Perez significantly less brick. He'd be doing better if the car was designed in any way to suit him though.

The car doesn't build itself but I don't think most of Red Bull's engineers have shown us anything Mercedes or McLaren engineers haven't. Take Adrian Newey and put him in any of the rest of the top 4 teams and that team wins the championship.
It took Newey 4 years at RB to get his first constructors championship and 15 years to get the first drivers championship.
The above synergy I stated is essential.
Newey is clearly brilliant. But without the other components parts, they don't win. He doesn't design the car all on his own. He doesn't maintain the car. He doesn't get the extra few tenths at pit stops. He doesn't design and implement pit wall strategy. He doesn't create the platform for the car to exist. Nor does he drive it.

RB have hit a sweet spot with Newey, Verstappen, Lambiasse etc. Mercedes had that sweet spot for a long time with Hamilton. But right now, you can't see anyone toppling the RB-Vestapen set up. Fingers crossed someone does soon.

And coming back to the Hamilton/Ferrari position - you could give Ferrari the current RB, and they'd fudge it up with pit wall decisions.

Newey is brilliant, he could put wheels on a bathtub and make it fast. It took so long at Red Bull because they have muppet of a team manager and have always had flawed drivers.

It took Newey 4 years at RB to get his first constructors championship and 15 years to get the first drivers championship.
The above synergy I stated is essential.
Newey is clearly brilliant. But without the other components parts, they don't win. He doesn't design the car all on his own. He doesn't maintain the car. He doesn't get the extra few tenths at pit stops. He doesn't design and implement pit wall strategy. He doesn't create the platform for the car to exist. Nor does he drive it.

RB have hit a sweet spot with Newey, Verstappen, Lambiasse etc. Mercedes had that sweet spot for a long time with Hamilton. But right now, you can't see anyone toppling the RB-Vestapen set up. Fingers crossed someone does soon.

And coming back to the Hamilton/Ferrari position - you could give Ferrari the current RB, and they'd fudge it up with pit wall decisions.
Swap Verstappen for Hamilton or (probably) any of the rest of the top drivers and they still win the title. Swap the pit crew for anyone else's or the strategists for anyone but Ferrari's and they still win the title.

Swap the car designer and they don't get near the title.

Edit:

Actually that car probably still wins with Ferrari's strategists. The car is over a pit stop per race faster than the competition - they can afford to fudge up the strategy and still win.

Swap Verstappen for Hamilton or (probably) any of the rest of the top drivers and they still win the title. Swap the pit crew for anyone else's or the strategists for anyone but Ferrari's and they still win the title.

Swap the car designer and they don't get near the title.

Edit:

Actually that car probably still wins with Ferrari's strategists. The car is over a pit stop per race faster than the competition - they can afford to fudge up the strategy and still win.
Maybe. Not a guarantee. Perez's results show that. Hamilton aside, I don't think any other driver guarantees it.
Maybe the driver Norris is going into 2024, he grew so much in 2023 and 2022.
Newey has been at RB for 17 years. If your hypothesis stood up to scrutiny, RB would have won a lot more.

Maybe. Not a guarantee. Perez's results show that. Hamilton aside, I don't think any other driver guarantees it.
Maybe the driver Norris is going into 2024, he grew so much in 2023 and 2022.
Newey has been at RB for 17 years. If your hypothesis stood up to scrutiny, RB would have won a lot more.
Perez is just your typical pay driver - there's an absolute gulf in talent between those with the skill and those with the funding.

People like Newey come to the fore when regulations change - that's when they can redesign a car. In every other year it's incremental changes. He'll have a head start on the others again this season but it'll be closer - possibly close enough for Verstappen's petulance to lose it for them. In 2026 his team will almost certainly win again.

Edit:
And no, not a guarantee - nothing in sport is. But the car design at Red Bull is absolutely what has them out in front.

All of the other parts can maybe add up to a tenth or so a lap. It's the car that makes them seconds per lap faster.

Anyone got the details!?
Rumoured to be sexual conduct towards a female employee.

This is an internal RB investigation so it's unusual it's leaked. Only reasons for it being leaked that I can think of don't look good for Karen Halliwell.

AP are reporting that it's "just" about his aggressive mgmt style.

I'd be surprised if RB were leaking about it if that's the basis.

If they sacked him tomorrow, he'd be flooded with offers to take on all sorts of projects. Some within racing, some in a media project, some in private business. Whatever the outcome, he's nicely enough established to never have to worry about finding work. Not that he actually needs it.

Up to me in his shoes, I'd be taking Geri out for long rides on - and off - horseback.

BTW, Netflix has a nice, tidy 5-episode series call Full Speed on this past season's NASCAR series. As a NASCAR fan, gotta say it's pretty decent and let's a casual racing fan gain a perspective to some of the top racers and racing issues of the day.

Also offers insight into the sports perceived villains - Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano. Hamlin, easily the best driver never to win a drivers title, does much to rehab his image. Logano remains one of the biggest phonies in all of motorsports. Even Hamlin, captured over the car radio, nails him in an on-track outburst after a near collision: “Fcuking Joey, he's a fcuking piece-of-brick human.”

Back