• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

Should have done better with the header, but the volley was extremely difficult, executed well, and just the wrong side of the post.
And the header wasn't that easy either, as it was from an angle and not exactly close to the goal. @harr1984 (who I typically agree with) said that he failed to hit the target. But hitting the target would have made for an easy save by the keeper, due to the angle. So he tried to place it and missed wide. Harry has missed worse and he plays all the time and you expect Llorente to have a 100% conversion rate coming in for 5-10 mins as a sub and getting the odd start. Give the geezer a break.

I'm not saying he's tearing it up, but his lay-off play is very good and he brings others into the game nicely. Given we have other goal threats, him occupying defenders and opening space for others and bringing them into the game is a very good contribution. People would argue Vinny did much of the same, but what Llorente brings is that extra bit of experience that is sorely lacking in our team (and boy did that show at the Bernabeu). Once we gain that, I see no reason why Vinny couldn't come back and Llorente put out to pasture.

And the header wasn't that easy either, as it was from an angle and not exactly close to the goal. @harr1984 (who I typically agree with) said that he failed to hit the target. But hitting the target would have made for an easy save by the keeper, due to the angle. So he tried to place it and missed wide. Harry has missed worse and he plays all the time and you expect Llorente to have a 400% conversion rate coming in for 5-10 mins as a sub and getting the odd start. Give the geezer a break.

I'm not saying he's tearing it up, but his lay-off play is very good and he brings others into the game nicely. Given we have other goal threats, him occupying defenders and opening space for others and bringing them into the game is a very good contribution. People would argue Vinny did much of the same, but what Llorente brings is that extra bit of experience that is sorely lacking in our team (and boy did that show at the Bernabeu). Once we gain that, I see no reason why Vinny couldn't come back and Llorente put out to pasture.
I thought he connected very well with that volley, maybe too well - but I wouldnt of branded him 'unfortunate' because you cant not hit the target and be unlucky. Perhaps if he'd not caught it so well might of had a better chance of going in. I thought he was poor early on, but grew into the game - Im still not convinced, and would prefer Janssen but I guess for the amount of game time he gets its always going to be tough for him.....

It' funny how not doing what he's supposed to some pick out the good things he does, even if they are few and far between.
Yet, some players do what they'e asked to do and get they're mistakes highlighted, even if those mistakes are less frequent to llorentes good bits.

I thought he connected very well with that volley, maybe too well - but I wouldnt of branded him 'unfortunate' because you cant not hit the target and be unlucky. Perhaps if he'd not caught it so well might of had a better chance of going in. I thought he was poor early on, but grew into the game - Im still not convinced, and would prefer Janssen but I guess for the amount of game time he gets its always going to be tough for him.....

Llorente, Janssen, Soldado all struggle for the same reason, they only really work with a limited type of service, i.e. one way.

Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen all look a lot better in a box than any of those, simply because they can adapt, left foot, right foot, header, off the shoulder of defender, making run, beating a defender then shooting, any option. Poch's teams are built around flexible players.

What does concern me with Llorente is, as a team we don't seem to have the intelligence to say - we need at least 5 balls per half into the box, in the air that we are expecting Llorente to attack. It was noticeable that Llorente looked better when Eriksen came on and put a few balls where you would expect Llorente to attack.

More than welcome to stay in Turin... Rest assured nobody will be crying when you leave our (far superior) training centre - hopefully on the 1 July!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/toby-alderweireld-set-miss-out-12010349

Juventus play Spurs tomorrow in the Champions League and Llorente - who quit the club in 2015 - admitted: “Juve is a difficult place to leave. I left the Vinovo training ground crying.

“It’s also true what David Trezeguet said: “It’s only when you leave Juventus that you realise what you had. I miss it like crazy and would love to return.

Juventus-v-Real-Madrid-UEFA-Champions-League.jpg

“It’s a special club because, despite being an enormous club, it’s like a family inside.

“There is a fine image of Juventus here and I raise it even more: I always speak very highly of the Bianconeri and give them a good rep.”

The amount of disrespect coming from this guy is ridiculous.

"Tottenham is Pochettino" https://www.football-italia.net/117028/llorente-tottenham-pochettino

fudge off. Tottenham is bigger than Poch. The club will be win things long after he is gone.

And the above stuff about a club he was at for 2 fudging seasons is ridiculous.

That's a really strange reading of all the nice things that Llorente is saying about Spurs and the manager. The Spurs team, right now, is definitely a Pochettino team, and all the better for it.

“Tottenham is Pochettino. Kane is phenomenal, but he needs his teammates. Our Coach, however, had a decisive role for the growth of the club. Now we are among the big sides and there is a harmonious atmosphere, it feels like a family.

“For example, I’m not playing very much, but I am happy and I have fun here. I am aware that I am second in the pecking order, but I also know that 11 players are not enough to win a title. We need everyone and I work to ensure I am ready when called upon.

“Mauricio is not just a Coach, but also a manager, and his greatest strength is intelligence. If he asks me about Juventus, I’ll be able to tell him a few things, as I know the club and most of the players. Mind you, Pochettino focuses more on our own style than that of our opponents.

How could anyone see "ridiculous disrespect" in all that?

That's a really strange reading of all the nice things that Llorente is saying about Spurs and the manager. The Spurs team, right now, is definitely a Pochettino team, and all the better for it.

How could anyone see "ridiculous disrespect" in all that?
Agreed. What the hell. I don't see a thing wrong with what llorente said. Basically just paying respect to his old club while talking us up as well.

Agreed. What the hell. I don't see a thing wrong with what llorente said. Basically just paying respect to his old club while talking us up as well.

Wonder what would have been the forum reaction if we had come up against Toulouse and those very same words would have been said by Sissoko???

This. Llorente being respectful to both clubs, as far as I can see. I take no offence from us being "The Pochettino Club", in the same way the ManU were "The Ferguson Club" for a couple of decades -- I really hope that we'll be even half as successful.

Interesting quote at the end of the article:

“Tottenham have two nutritionists and there are similar approaches to food that you’d find at Juve. It’s rare that I have an English style breakfast, but don’t imagine Kane starts the day with fries either. At Swansea, where I was last season, it did happen: they are still fairly British in their habits there.”

Really? In this day and age I find it very surprising that a reasonably established Premier League club* isn't more on the ball nutritionally, esp. one that had two forward-thinking modern managers in Martinez and Rodgers.

* yes, really -- this is their seventh season in the top flight.

What exactly about what he said did you find so offensive ?

Maybe... " I miss it (Juve) like crazy and would love to return."

Wouldn't want him to go crazy, would we - though it would be nice payback for his driving me crazy with his incompetent displays!

Wouldn't want him to go crazy, would we - though it would be nice payback for his driving me crazy with his incompetent displays!

Well, it's not so hard to imagine that he's missing playing at Juve. He was in his prime when he was there, relatively close to his home in Spain, and if the club was as well run and cosy as he says, no wonder he misses it! I don't see how that's disrespectful to us. I would've gotten the anger if he was first team regular for us clearly angling for a move, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Even if he is angling for a move, so what? Let him, it's not like he's made much of a difference for us. Same with Sissoko, by the way, I'd let him fish for moves elsewhere by being as disrespectful as he wishes to be, to be honest. :p

Italians use 'pazzesco' all the time for a variety of superlatives; the interview with football-italia was probably given in Italian

It is a very normal way to describe something in Italian. Very effusive folk

this really is so bizarre, u know what they say,
Once Is Chance, Twice is Coincidence, Third Time Is A Pattern

- Soldado was bought to play on the end on of Bale's crosses (I think we really expected 1 more season out of Bale, similar to what we got with Modric)
- Janssen was young striker with promise
- Llorente is an old head brought it to do a bit part role and add experience

The pattern is our team is built around Kane (as a mobile CF with two feet & clinical finishing), with Son, Dele, Eriksen providing a dizzying amount of energy, movement and either the assist or direct goal threat behind him.

Spurs is a system team, we are easily the best drilled, most system specific team in the PL. It's one of the reasons players take almost 2 seasons to settle in, fitness and knowing the system (the no look passes and flicks from Dele & Eriksen demand the player is making exactly the right run). It's also the reason players like Trippier & Davies can have amazing days (discipline makes up for raw talent in the system).

The one downside to the system is we don't seem to have a lot of flexibility in type of play (formation = yes, width/narrow = yes), we play short triangle passes at tempo to runs, something neither Janssen or Llorente are particularly good at. Both players also never got integrated into system, even in Llorente's last game, he went left to a pass right, just not in sync. IT's very frustrating to watch because with all 3 of them you felt they were just a yard or two off the pace, and if they could adapt or we could adapt, they would all have been successful.

My view is the next striker needs to be an intelligent player more than anything else, he's got to adapt to the system, otherwise he will fail.

Back