• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fair play Daniel Levy

Craig_J

Eidur Gudjohnsen
With the transfer close, whether it be a world record fee or not, I think we have to say fair play to Daniel Levy for the way he has conduicted this window. We haven't had any Berbatov style fiasco's chasing Larson and Heskey on deadline day then settling for some little kid from United on loan. He's handled it with class, and has brought in Capoue, Soldado, Paulinhio and Chadli. That's four players to strengthen up (with one who I won't name hopefully arriving for £30m, a bit of ITK for you their) our squad more and he has invested it all into the club.

We may have lost a world class player, and the best I've ever seen in a Spurs shot, but our squad has been vastly improved.

AND we haven't done an Arsenal and sold our best player for a fee which we can't realistically strengthen our squad up with. That's how you negotiate!

Here here. I've criticised him plenty but I doff my cap to him for how he has handled this summer's transfer dealings. Seems to have learnt from his mistakes regarding leaving it to the last minute.

Doesn't mean 4th is ours by any means, but he can only supply AVB with as much ammunition as possible. It's up to AVB and the players now.

generally agree with this however Levy still has much to do....and I don't think Baldini can be ignored with potential praise...

Still I say lets see where we are after deadline day and then we can proper analyse this window.....the 4 deals thus far I am very pleased with.

generally agree with this however Levy still has much to do....and I don't think Baldini can be ignored with potential praise...

Still I say lets see where we are after deadline day and then we can proper analyse this window.....the 4 deals thus far I am very pleased with.

4 ??? chicheres and lamela done tomorrow too, 6 quality signings all for the price of one bale, thanks GB

No question give credit to Baldini, but Levy and AVB were behind his appointment.

The DoF is a controversial position in England, but I think the key is there is a proper balanced relationship between the board and manager (or head coach). The exact role are unimportant as long as everyone knows their role and cooperates. Arnsen and Jol looked to be working with Levy, but Comolli and Jol were never on the same page. When Arnesen left he wasn't replaced with someone who had the confidence of both Levy and Jol.

The new setup seems stronger. AVB and Baldini seem in tune and can be a united front against Levy, which is easier because Levy trusts both (in contrast Comolli seemed Levy's yes man in dealing with Jol). If AVB was to leave I hope Levy has learnt that it is essential to bring in a new manager compatible with both him and Baldini. Likewise, if Baldini left, Levy should pay more attention to the manager (which he didn't with Jol and Comolli). The way baldini was appointed suggest this lesson has been learnt. The balance of the three in charge seems better. If Levy was to leave on a takeover, one would hope any new owners would see the potential of keeping the other two in the managerial triumvirate. What I am struggling to say clearly and succinctly is that we have a management structure with three individuals working together and replacement of one of three will be better than replacing an all-powerful manager, DoF or Chairman.

He has signed a Welsh international (albeit probs top 3 in their history) for 7 million...

and leveraged that into:

A Spanish international,
Brazilian international,
French international,
Argentine international,
Belgium international,
and potentially a Danish and Romanian international.

I don't know who was genuinely responsible for his signing and I know a lot of it is luck, but its pretty amazing what Levy and co. have done to go out and strengthen hugely after losing a superstar like Gareth.. Especially amazing considering all but 1 are young enough to potentially recoup all of our spending on them in the first place. Lamela and Eriksen (if we go for him) could potentially have HUGE sell on values.

Well whatever happens now it has certainly beaten my staring at a blank computer screen at 11.59pm on transfer deadline night whilst the club phone Readings training ground only to find everyone has gone home. Well Done Daniel Levy and co, when you compare our team to that of ten years ago the job he has done is amazing.

He has signed a Welsh international (albeit probs top 3 in their history) for 7 million...

and leveraged that into:

A Spanish international,
Brazilian international,
French international,
Argentine international,
Belgium international,

I don't know who was genuinely responsible for his signing and I know a lot of it is luck, but its pretty amazing what Levy and co. have done to go out and strengthen hugely after losing a superstar like Gareth.. Especially amazing considering all but 1 are young enough to potentially recoup all of our spending on them in the first place. Lamela and Eriksen (if we go for him) could potentially have HUGE sell on values.

don't forget AVB and Baldini from Redknapp :)

I suspect that the deal for Bale was discussed/agreed before Baldini came on board, and that due to the size of the valuation, all these buying was not so difficult to do.

The brilliant part about Levy has to belong to his early years with us, the mistakes he made with structures and appointments, his persistent scrimping and saving and tweaking to ensure that we get best bang for buck, so that we can accumulate all our monies for a time like today. That is both a great display of character and genius.

Will be looking forward to his autobiography if he eventually gets to it.

don't forget AVB and Baldini from Redknapp :)

I suspect that the deal for Bale was discussed/agreed before Baldini came on board, and that due to the size of the valuation, all these buying was not so difficult to do.

The brilliant part about Levy has to belong to his early years with us, the mistakes he made with structures and appointments, his persistent scrimping and saving and tweaking to ensure that we get best bang for buck, so that we can accumulate all our monies for a time like today. That is both a great display of character and genius.

Will be looking forward to his autobiography if he eventually gets to it.
He has been doing a deal to write his autobiography , but he is driving a real hard bargin with penguin to publish it :-"

and leveraged that into:

A Spanish international,
Brazilian international,
French international,
Argentine international,
Belgium international,

Looking at the numbers here: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tottenham-hotspur/transfers/verein_148.html

....I reckon that once Bale leaves and assuming Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches are completed, we'll be c. break-even for almost a whole new team. So we could still go and blow £25m on one or two players and have a net spend not far above the new Sky money. That is crazy.

If we imagine Bale did his ACL at Selhurst Park on the opening day and was out for the season anyway, it'd be the equivalent of getting all those players...for free!

Looking at the numbers here: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tottenham-hotspur/transfers/verein_148.html

....I reckon that once Bale leaves and assuming Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches are completed, we'll be c. break-even for almost a whole new team. So we could still go and blow £25m on one or two players and have a net spend not far above the new Sky money. That is crazy.

If we imagine Bale did his ACL at Selhurst Park on the opening day and was out for the season anyway, it'd be the equivalent of getting all those players...for free!

That is the part the people that talk about us being a selling club don't get

- Yes, Bale could have been worth even more next season, or massively less.
- Any club can say no to 20/30 even 40M, but when you get to world record numbers, fiscal responsibility says you got to take it.

Look at Pool, they need Suarez, only real class (skill only) player left, but if someone offered 55M, they would take it, and they are in a better position re income and a worse position on pitch.

Great work over the last decade. Hopefully this summer will prove to be the most fruitful in terms of results on the pitch too. Every forum out there is comparing our squad with them, saying we're still average. That's fine, I'm quite happy to be seen as an unknown quantity, tbh, even we know there is uncertainty as to how we will play and gel this season.

What I do know is people are looking at us and we've got them a little nervous

Acquisition fees yes. Wages will have gone up though

With the tv revenue increase id imagine that our wage bill will have dropped quite a bit in terms of % of turnover even if it it has risen purely in terms of cost - although with the out going players this summer id be surprised if it's even risen at all tbh

Back