• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fair play Daniel Levy

IMO Levy is the Don! I think you have to grade him by comparing where we were when he took over compared with now.

Backtrack 10 years and the idea of being in the CL and some of the performances, results and players we have seen was a complete daydream, so you have to hand it to him for that, he's certainly turned the club around.

The problem now is that the final 10% is almost harder than the first 90%, to compete with the big guns and their almost unlimited budgets is not as easy task.

However, that said, I think his next decision on manager and what happens with the Stadium will be key....one of his main strengths is being decisive (which he has been with this sacking) but it's pointless unless its followed up with further decisiveness to resolve the problems...

we get rid of the chairman because he can't deliver the title?

us, a club who have won it twice in our history? up against 4 clubs with turnovers more than double ours?

the Chairmans role is long term and over his time here we have improved, set backs along the way of course but an overall progress.

Yes

Levy is pure class, yeh he makes a few chops but he expects results.

Levy worked for over 10 years now to provide the club with the resources to compete in the transfer market and he in turn expects delivery on the pitch.

Levy's done brilliantly for us, one of the best chairmen in the league - if not the best - but I think the decision to get rid of AVB was a massive mistake.

I think the way he handles our finances is nothing short of remarkable. Maybe he did a mistake in appointing AVB in the first place, but not a lot of people thought so at the time. I, for one, don't think he has taken the wrong decision in sacking him.

sound logic

Someone has to win the league. Why not us? I think Levy wants to win the league as well, but that desire is not as strong as his want to be seen as much more clever than every other club chairman, whether that's squeezing every last penny out of a transfer deal, or bringing in a management structure which sounds good in theory but has already led to at least 3 managerial disasters, and the only time things turned out okay was when he was desperate and brought in the anti-DoF/Contintental option in Harry.

Decision to appoint AVB: A risk, but a bold one that I think would be very unfair to criticise in hindsight. Levy punted, but lost. That's a definition of Audere est Facere, so no complaints from me.

Decision to sack AVB: I'd have given him the Christmas period because a) There's no ready-made replacement, b) Incredibly, we're only 8 pts off top, c) In for a penny - might as well give him till the very, very last moment before moving. But I suppose Levy knows what the rumblings are behind the scenes, and maybe he knows the situation wasn't retrievable. Certainly I don't know how you play 15 games playing one way and then suddenly turn around to the players and give them a whole new bunch of instructions. That sounds impossible. So maybe Levy did leave it as late as possible and today is that day.

I think Levy has done more than what has been expected when looking back to where we once were. It was worse than 2 point from 8. It has been a mammoth joirney so far but overall there is only so much Levy can do behind his boardroom table, he has done more than his part and now we need a manager to take this team over the line into regular CL territory.

Levy, shrewd business man, but not shrewd hiring managers.

Hoddle: Poor appointment
Santini: Poor appointment
Jol: Did very well.
Ramos: Poor appointment but won a league cup.
Harry: Did an excellent job.
AVB: Poor but not a complete disaster

So he's made some bad decisions but he's made a couple of good ones too. And when he's made bad ones, he hasn't let sentimentality get in the way of doing what he thinks is right for the club.

So he's made some bad decisions but he's made a couple of good ones too. And when he's made bad ones, he hasn't let sentimentality get in the way of doing what he thinks is right for the club.

yep, didn't initially appoint Jol as manager though did he, and Harry was brought in to keep us up, in both cases we got lucky that they achieved far more than was expected or hoped of them

Which part do you dispute? Note I was very pro-Levy & pro-AVB right up until the City/Wham results when I was a bit '****, this ain't good'.

sounds like a knee jerk to me if that's the case although i seem to have the image of you being quite negative on Levy in general, for some reason?

i dispute your conclusion that the DoF structure is directly responsible for the failings whilst anti DoF saw the successes. Hoddle was not a success, Graham was not a success, Jol was a relative success, Ramos was a failure (although won a trophy) Arnesen was a success, Comoli was 50/50 in my book, Redknapp was a relative success, AVB has been a failure (now that he has been sacked and we have to judge him on the time he was here)

we have generally been on an upward curve for Levys time here - that cannot be disputed, can he deliver the title? i don't see why not - i thought we had a squad/team in place in 11/12 that was not far from it so no reason to think we won't get there again.

So the Martin Jol with an overall win percentage of 44,97 did "very well", while AVB with a win percentage of 55 was "poor, but not a complete disaster"? To me, that doesn't make sense.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html

sounds like a knee jerk to me if that's the case although i seem to have the image of you being quite negative on Levy in general, for some reason?

i dispute your conclusion that the DoF structure is directly responsible for the failings whilst anti DoF saw the successes. Hoddle was not a success, Graham was not a success, Jol was a relative success, Ramos was a failure (although won a trophy) Arnesen was a success, Comoli was 50/50 in my book, Redknapp was a relative success, AVB has been a failure (now that he has been sacked and we have to judge him on the time he was here)

we have generally been on an upward curve for Levys time here - that cannot be disputed, can he deliver the title? i don't see why not - i thought we had a squad/team in place in 11/12 that was not far from it so no reason to think we won't get there again.

One man's knee jerk is another man's considered view of overwhelming evidence in contrary to his original beliefs. I was very strong Levy, pro-AVB and anti-Harry. My AVB stance was that in yr 1, I didn't really care too much about results (within reason) as long as it was evident that he had a style of play that would get us results and you could see it coming to fruition. We have regressed. Yes, losing Bale certainly didn't help but it's clear that Bale covered up massive cracks in our game play. We couldn't be a one-man team forever.

Hoddle was not a success in the context of what? Today's standards?

No money to spend and kept the team in the region of 9th and 10th which was improvements on 14th and 13th at the time under GG.

We are talking two totally different eras

One man's knee jerk is another man's considered view of overwhelming evidence in contrary to his original beliefs. I was very strong Levy, pro-AVB and anti-Harry. My AVB stance was that in yr 1, I didn't really care too much about results (within reason) as long as it was evident that he had a style of play that would get us results and you could see it coming to fruition. We have regressed. Yes, losing Bale certainly didn't help but it's clear that Bale covered up massive cracks in our game play. We couldn't be a one-man team forever.

Knee jerk in the sense that you claimed to be very pro Levy until 2 results. That's not what id call a considered opinion

Not sure how a chairman can be held accountable for two drubbings either.

Back