• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** FA Cup 4th Round - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project **

Not a great performance, but with our only fit regular midfielder playing out of position what did we expect.
Individually I thought we were fine with some great performances, but as a team we lacked fluidity.
Understandable without Sarr, Bissouma and Maddison and a rusty/unfit Bentancur.
Udogie, vdv, Vicario, Porro were excellent, Peh was outstanding up until his last few minutes.

I think we will be part of the conversation.

Throughout the season there has been one thing that has been nagging. And its our lack of composure/belief/quality in attack. We've scored in every game until today, so maybe having Son there has masked our lack of experience and conviction. Johnson, Kulu, Porro, Udogie, Gil all very young really (23 or under). Richarlison, Werner, Johnson not fully confident. Often we don't make a relatively simple pass in attack. There's a rush of blood and we don't get the right cross or pass to release a player for a shot on goal. Without Son this weakness is exposed.

All credit to City they stifled us. We fought back, but lacked a little bit of sharpness in our passing and belief. Can't wait for the next game to put it right now.

Sometimes we can look awe inspiring, sometimes awestruck.
It'll come, Ange has worked wonders at the club but there's a lot of scar tissue to heal.

It shouldn't. I don't blame him for the goal. It's no more his fault than it is the rest of the team failing to protect him and if the players weren't told to protect him as City were trying this on multiple occasions then that's on the coaching staff as well.

Yeah, considering we had 6 outfield players inside our 6 yard box it does seem odd that nobody was on the front post to stop de Bruyne whipping the cross to Rodrigo.

IMG_4119.jpeg

nor anyone to clear Vicario’s attempt at a punched clearance so that van de Ven didn’t end up doing a 360° spin and backheeling the ball back into a dangerous area.

IMG_4121.png

I hope Dragusin starts the next two games now. No reflection on Romero and VDV but we have a chance to start using rotation throughout the squad soon in a number of positions.

I’d put him next to Romero on Wednesday and next to VDV on Saturday.

That goal's disallowed for backing in 9 times out of 10 at Anfield, but we were never getting the decision. I'm not that bothered; there were a few little cameos but we were second best all night and never really looked like scoring, I didn't think. I wouldn't have wanted a replay and I'm content for us to concentrate on a push for top four, all things considered. Then we get on with the rebuild in the summer.

I hope Dragusin starts the next two games now. No reflection on Romero and VDV but we have a chance to start using rotation throughout the squad soon in a number of positions.

I’d put him next to Romero on Wednesday and next to VDV on Saturday.
Perhaps if when City were getting well on top as we started to flag , in the last 15-20 minutes , we could have tried to settle for the draw and had an "Enter the Dragon" moment and brought Dragusin on. I'm sure he could have squashed Diaz and kept him out of the way of vic , or indeed headed the ball away himself.

Pedro Porro’s passing accuracy last night was 61.8%. He was the second worst passer in our team last night. Johnson at 50% pass accuracy was the highest culprit of giving the ball away for us. I could see it at the time as so many passes were over hit or off. It was very much unlike him so I don’t know what was happening.

His average passing accuracy is 79.6%. He is a player that we often turn to for creative passes. He has the most assists for us this season with 7 assists. He is only behind Kulusevski and Maddison for us in terms of key passes from any player to have made 10+ starts for us this season.

Not only did that weaken our right side as both players were continually losing possession but meant that with Maddison out we lacked creativity from the source that many might have thought would be most likely.

We needed to hold possession better, play the right passes and play accurate passes. If we kept giving the ball back to City then we would always end up with the result which we did.

I’m not criticising Pedro Porro. I’m providing observation to suggest why we didn’t create as many chances and where the weaknesses were that I saw last night.

I do think Johnson can’t be starting for us at the moment. I don’t think he’s ready to. He has a lot to give in future for us but we need to give him time and using him as an impact sub could be for the best for the remainder of this season whilst the coaches work with him to help him improve his end product.

I think we need backup players for Pedro Porro and Udogie as we clearly lack the depth in those positions. Udogie was excellent last night but like Pedro Porro he will also have off days and we need the opportunity to bring a player off of the bench if required. With how little time we have left in this window I find it hard to believe that we will sign anyone to cover either of those players in the remainder of the transfer window but hopefully we will be looking at it for the summer transfer window.

We have made a lot of progress this year but we are not near being the finished article. We will finish top 4, the knee jerking around here to suggest otherwise is completely over the top simply coming to that conclusion because of one off day against the treble winners of last season. We have been more than good enough through the rest of the season to believe that we have a very strong chance of finishing top 4. So that’s now our focus, to finish as high as we possibly can. So let’s go do it!

That's the best Emirates Marketing Project can do to beat us? It's ok considering we are missing sarr, bissouma and son. Certainly shows that hojberg , skipp can be upgraded upon.

Also postecoglu needs better organisation in defence. The unmarked far.post in open play and no one guarding the posts during set plays - easy exploits waiting to be taken advantage of.

I'm not sure I expected us to win last night, but I would have hoped we would have put up more of a fight

It was all just so meh, the midfield was non existent and just looked like a Nuno/Conte/Jose team that gives the ball away under the slightest of pressure.

The subs were odd, I get taking Benty off early, he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool till he's fully fit, but I would have like to have seen him and Maddison given 5/10 minutes together, as soon as he went off we completely lost any of the little composure in the middle.

Would have kept Johnson on as well, he was starting to get into the game and that must have been Kulus worst game for us.

Didn't really learn much from last night, VDV/Romero partnership can potentially become the best in the league and our midfield options need improving as Lo Celso/Hojberg/Skipp are a massive drop off for various reasons.

I'm normally very pro FA/League cup, but going out now isn't the end of the world whilst out top 4 rivals get more fixtures, certainly didn't want a replay.

Disappointed with the result naturally but more disappointed with the performance. I didn’t expect an easy game but I thought we would hold our own more against them like we did away at Arsenal. For me, the forwards are comfortably the weakest part of the team. And it’s highlighted even more when Son isn’t there. Johnson looks timid and slightly afraid to put himself about. Richarlison has done well to bag a few goals lately but he needs quality next to him, he’s not going to create opportunities out of nowhere like Son. The defence do so well to play out from the back but we just kept losing the ball once it got to the midfield and front three. Now that we appear to have sorted the defence and midfield, the plan has to be to look at getting more cutting edge forwards in the summer.

Let’s hope we can have a good crack at top 4 and maybe push for the title if we can stay in it until our guys are back from the AFCON and Asian cup. More than anything I’m gutted it’s another year most likely without silverware.

That's the best Emirates Marketing Project can do to beat us? It's ok considering we are missing sarr, bissouma and son. Certainly shows that hojberg , skipp can be upgraded upon.

Also postecoglu needs better organisation in defence. The unmarked far.post in open play and no one guarding the posts during set plays - easy exploits waiting to be taken advantage of.

They had their two best players on the bench and injured as well. Granted we will look much better when everyone is back.

Disappointed with the result naturally but more disappointed with the performance. I didn’t expect an easy game but I thought we would hold our own more against them like we did away at Arsenal. For me, the forwards are comfortably the weakest part of the team. And it’s highlighted even more when Son isn’t there. Johnson looks timid and slightly afraid to put himself about. Richarlison has done well to bag a few goals lately but he needs quality next to him, he’s not going to create opportunities out of nowhere like Son. The defence do so well to play out from the back but we just kept losing the ball once it got to the midfield and front three. Now that we appear to have sorted the defence and midfield, the plan has to be to look at getting more cutting edge forwards in the summer.

Let’s hope we can have a good crack at top 4 and maybe push for the title if we can stay in it until our guys are back from the AFCON and Asian cup. More than anything I’m gutted it’s another year most likely without silverware.
Son and Kulusevski. When Kulusevski was moved there him and the entire team looked up be running out of steam and we didn't get in the game.

But he's so important in those games where we get pressed so much. So good at making himself available for a pass, keeping the ball and doing something useful under pressure. Richarlison did OK in duels I thought, but mostly our forwards yesterday needed the ball played in behind to be a threat. No Maddison and City pressing that well you need forwards that can receive the ball under pressure.

On to the league.

Pedro Porro’s passing accuracy last night was 61.8%. He was the second worst passer in our team last night. Johnson at 50% pass accuracy was the highest culprit of giving the ball away for us. I could see it at the time as so many passes were over hit or off. It was very much unlike him so I don’t know what was happening.

His average passing accuracy is 79.6%. He is a player that we often turn to for creative passes. He has the most assists for us this season with 7 assists. He is only behind Kulusevski and Maddison for us in terms of key passes from any player to have made 10+ starts for us this season.

Not only did that weaken our right side as both players were continually losing possession but meant that with Maddison out we lacked creativity from the source that many might have thought would be most likely.

We needed to hold possession better, play the right passes and play accurate passes. If we kept giving the ball back to City then we would always end up with the result which we did.

I’m not criticising Pedro Porro. I’m providing observation to suggest why we didn’t create as many chances and where the weaknesses were that I saw last night.

I do think Johnson can’t be starting for us at the moment. I don’t think he’s ready to. He has a lot to give in future for us but we need to give him time and using him as an impact sub could be for the best for the remainder of this season whilst the coaches work with him to help him improve his end product.

I think we need backup players for Pedro Porro and Udogie as we clearly lack the depth in those positions. Udogie was excellent last night but like Pedro Porro he will also have off days and we need the opportunity to bring a player off of the bench if required. With how little time we have left in this window I find it hard to believe that we will sign anyone to cover either of those players in the remainder of the transfer window but hopefully we will be looking at it for the summer transfer window.

We have made a lot of progress this year but we are not near being the finished article. We will finish top 4, the knee jerking around here to suggest otherwise is completely over the top simply coming to that conclusion because of one off day against the treble winners of last season. We have been more than good enough through the rest of the season to believe that we have a very strong chance of finishing top 4. So that’s now our focus, to finish as high as we possibly can. So let’s go do it!
Sanguine read, I agree with most of it. I think you can put Porro's performance down to the fact that city identified him as being the place to break through our lines. Udogie is a far better defender than Pedro, as demonstrated by the way Destiny handled Silva. Also when squeezed there is a mistake in possession in Johnson. He's either got to get better at decision making or he needs to trust his instincts better. Add those two issues together and our right side is vulnerable to the right team.

Maddison back in midfield puts kulu out right again and he's a lot less prone to losing the ball. Though oddly off colour last night, he did nothing of note.

We managed 87 minutes of organised defence to keep the best team in the world out. I'm not sure I agree with you on defensive organisation. Otherwise it would have been 6 or 7.

Back