• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2014/15

I think it's bound to have an impact, half a week of prep time alone

we should prioritise it though, as it stands we need 2 sides with deeper pockets than us to have an indifferent season for us to qualify via the league

We finished in the top 4 in 11/12, a year that we had European football earlier on in the season. In 12/13 we ended up with our highest point tally ever in the premier league, a year that we also had European football. I agree that it may disrupt preparations to a degree but not to the level of severity that many make out.

Lots of myths about the EL and they are spread around as if it is bible, usually by those who believe we are above the EL after one season in the CL.

That is the way to get into the Champions League, the game is about glory and there was far more glory in winning that final tonight than finishing 4th.

Amen brother, after all the game is supposed to be about glory which means winning things not finishing among the runners up ( top four).

Lots of myths about the EL and they are spread around as if it is bible, usually by those who believe we are above the EL after one season in the CL.

What do you think those myths are?

I think that you need to be careful about putting words in people's mouths here. I have concerns about the impact that being in the Europa has on our league form (it seems to be a concern that many managers share) but that does not mean that I would not love us to win it or that I think that we are above it. Like it or not, regular Champions League participation is the be all and end all now, all I am interested in is what is our best chance of achieving that.

I think that you need to be careful about putting words in people's mouths here. I have concerns about the impact that being in the Europa has on our league form (it seems to be a concern that many managers share) but that does not mean that I would not love us to win it or that I think that we are above it. Like it or not, regular Champions League participation is the be all and end all now, all I am interested in is what is our best chance of achieving that.

Not putting words into any ones mouth, I have heard these said by many who think we are/should be above the EL.

(1) Loads more matches

(2) Its harder to play on a Thursday/ Sunday then it is to play on a Wednesday/ Saturday or Saturday/ Tuesday.

(3) Thousands of miles traveling distance

Now are you saying you have never heard these myths trotted out?

Not putting words into any ones mouth, I have heard these said by many who think we are/should be above the EL.

(1) Loads more matches

(2) Its harder to play on a Thursday/ Sunday then it is to play on a Wednesday/ Saturday or Saturday/ Tuesday.

(3) Thousands of miles traveling distance

Now are you saying you have never heard these myths trotted out?

I don't recall seeing anyone say that we are above the EL. Who do you remember saying this?

My opinion on the EL changes, I think that on balance I would probably prefer to be in it but that is mainly because I remember how long (and dull) it was when we were out of Europe and how brilliant it was when we qualified again under Jol. I do think though that it is silly to dismiss others' concerns about the impact of being in the competition especially when it seems to be a concern that is shared by many managers; here is what Pochettino had to say about it back in April:

“The Europa League is not an easy competition, it’s a very tough competition because it affects your domestic league,” Pochettino said. “It was my opinion when I was at Southampton, when I was asked a lot about this and, having had a Europa League season, I can now confirm that it is very difficult to manage the Europa League with the Premier League and both cups.”

“It’s true that the experience of last season with Liverpool and now with Manchester United – I think that is a clear example that you will have the opportunity to stay closer to the top four, if you only have to focus on the Premier League and the cups.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/23/tottenham-mauricio-pochettino-europa-league

I don't recall seeing anyone say that we are above the EL. Who do you remember saying this?

My opinion on the EL changes, I think that on balance I would probably prefer to be in it but that is mainly because I remember how long (and dull) it was when we were out of Europe and how brilliant it was when we qualified again under Jol. I do think though that it is silly to dismiss others' concerns about the impact of being in the competition especially when it seems to be a concern that is shared by many managers; here is what Pochettino had to say about it back in April:

“The Europa League is not an easy competition, it’s a very tough competition because it affects your domestic league,” Pochettino said. “It was my opinion when I was at Southampton, when I was asked a lot about this and, having had a Europa League season, I can now confirm that it is very difficult to manage the Europa League with the Premier League and both cups.”

“It’s true that the experience of last season with Liverpool and now with Manchester United – I think that is a clear example that you will have the opportunity to stay closer to the top four, if you only have to focus on the Premier League and the cups.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/23/tottenham-mauricio-pochettino-europa-league

You can hear some say it in the pubs before and after games and thankfully its not as prevalent as it used to be and that is because most of the moans that are used to slag it of have been shown to be myths.

As for what Poch has said then he will have the same problems if we make the CL, as for those who have opinions about being in it I have no problem, its when they trot out the myths as their reason then I have a problem because they are not true.

If fans really believe that it is so much harder to be in the EL then the CL because of the myths that I posted earlier then they really want to do their research and stop looking for excuses.

Last edited:

Totally agree Milo. Winning the EL would be fantastic, but it's such a hard tournament to win.

As you point out, it means we are always playing catch up with our rivals who play on Saturdays, and it messes with the players rhythms/routines of playing on Saturdays.

If UEFA themselves would stop treating the tournament like a poor man's CL (which is what it is essentially) i.e. stop allowing the CL dropouts into the knockout rounds, increase the prize money and move the games to Wednesdays, then I think a lot more people would take it more seriously.

And I absolutely agree about the Champions League being where we need to be. It's the competition that every club player wants to be in, it raises the profile of your club, plus there's the financial rewards to consider. Like it or not, football has become about money. Being in the CL would attract better players to Spurs, which ultimately increases our chances of winning trophies and dare I say it, competing for a title. There's just no way we are going to do that without the CL.

we've been in it so long I think our cycles have long since switched to thursday/sunday, we also rotated pretty well this year, I don't think it was an issue of fatigue

Back