• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Round of 16: Inter (ITA)

I'd rather avoid Chelsea, I want to play European opponents in a European competition not our domestic rivals

All getting slightly ahead of ourselves here aren't we?

Shouldn't we wait until we have the necessary result in Milan before we start selecting our final opposition or how high up the CL co-efficient table we are going to get?!

All getting slightly ahead of ourselves here aren't we?

Shouldn't we wait until we have the necessary result in Milan before we start selecting our final opposition or how high up the CL co-efficient table we are going to get?!

Very true but I don't think any harm can be done discussing preferences. Tbh, if we somehow contrive to not get through after last night then we will have deserved to fail.

Looking at the way the results fell, I think I would like a crack at either Basle or Fenerbahce in the quarters provided we do the job over in Milan. Got a feeling that Lazio are going to get at least to the Semis, they look a tough side to break down as we found ourselves. If I could pick a dream final now then it would be against Benfica, that is a tie that has history, glamour and quality in spades.

There's an interesting scenario beginning to look around the corner, especially if United beat Chelsea at the weekend.

That would mean our game at the Bridge stays on April 14th. Should we both progress in the CL you just know we are going to get Chelsea in the quarters, which are played April 4th and 11th.
What odds we might be paying 2 visits to Chelsea in 4 days?

Although I actually dont mind Chelsea beating United in the FA Cup, after a replay naturally (extra game for them), although it would mean a mdiweek fixture at Chelsea, it would also mean, (again, should we progress next Thursday), a free weekend after the 2nd leg, meaning we could play a full team.

All pie in the sky of course

Assuming we get through, I'd rather not play any of the English teams. We have a poor record against Chelsea in the last few years and we never win at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

I hope Lazio get knocked out too, A) because of their scummy fans; and B) they can defend and are one of the better teams left in the competition.

Benfica
Chelsea
Lazio
Anzhi
Fenerbache
Levante/Rubin
Basel

These are the ones I think will go through

Tottenham - Basel
Benfica - Chelsea
Lazio - Anzhi
Levante - Fenerbache

Tottenham - Benfica final? [-o<

Tottenham - Nazio for me.

Let's see them try some anti semitic brick in Amsterdam, among the massed ranks of Tottenham and Ajax!

Geez, are the Mossad lurking in the wings? Maybe organizing a little pre-emptive action?

Tottenham - Nazio for me.

Let's see them try some anti semitic brick in Amsterdam, among the massed ranks of Tottenham and Ajax!

I'd be more worried about losing, personally - knowing our luck :)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the QF
Benfica in the Semi
Lazio in Amsterdam.

would equal one happy Billyiddo

I may be jumping the gun a bit here but i've been researching the Europa League final. Travel wise. I'd definately be going if we get there so thought I would have a look early.

Easyjet are a great option for flying to Amsterdam.
They operate 5 flights a day from Gatwick, 3 from Stansted, 2 from Southend, and 4 from Luton.
All pretty cheap, I think about £60-100 (Without a suitcase) return. But as you know, they will definately rise the nearer we get to the final.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Booking.mvc

Ryanair do not operate direct flights to Amsterdam, they fly to Eindhoven & Maastricht but as you know Holland is a fairly small country. So, if the Amsterdam flights are a bit too rich then try this option. Eindhoven is nearer to Amsterdam than Maastricht so do this one first. (Its approximately an hour or so on the train..)

Ryanair operate two flights daily from Stansted to Eindhoven. Very cheap aswell, £60 return.
They also do one flight daily from Stansted to Maastricht (Except on friday) which is about the same price. But Maastricht is near the German/Belgian border and is on the opposite side of the country, so more travel involved.

https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/booking.aspx?culture=en-gb&lc=en-gb&cmpid2=Google#Select

If you cannot get a flight though because they are all sold out / expensive then try getting the ferry from Harwich which drops you off at the "Hook of Holland"
BEWARE THOUGH - The ferry somehow takes about 8 hours! It departs at 09:00 and arrives at 16:45.
I've been to Holland before and the transport links are so good im sure you'll be able to get a train from there to Amsterdam.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/pib/efp....0:00&cmsUrl=http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/

Last edited:

Im extremely excited. I've spent all morning contemplating whether or not to book it up now, but the thought entered my head that if Chelsea got to the final and we didnt, i'd be sharing a plane with them. Would not be able to do it, suicidal would be an understatement.

On another note, I read somewhere that we'd only be getting 10,000 tickets for the final in an 52,960 capacity stadium. Joke!

Im extremely excited. I've spent all morning contemplating whether or not to book it up now, but the thought entered my head that if Chelsea got to the final and we didnt, i'd be sharing a plane with them. Would not be able to do it, suicidal would be an understatement.

On another note, I read somewhere that we'd only be getting 10,000 tickets for the final in an 52,960 capacity stadium. Joke!

The nearer we get hotels will defo be at a premium, I reckon there will be 30k plus Spurs fan go out to the dam...

Flights people wont book until we actually win the SF as they are non-cancellable

The nearer we get hotels will defo be at a premium, I reckon there will be 30k plus Spurs fan go out to the dam...

Flights people wont book until we actually win the SF as they are non-cancellable

Definately. This is the problem though, i've did the maths and worked out that the planes that do the usual route from London-Amsterdam only carry about 150 people. If you factor that 30% are just normal travellers, that leaves 105 spurs fans per flight.
There are only 14 flights a day out of London to Amsterdam, which is only 1470 people. I'd assume that people will travel a couple of days before too, but thats still only 3,000..

As you can see, demand for flights is going to outweigh supply hugely. Thats why I was thinking of booking now...

Phew, too much maths!

Amsterdam is the most car unfriendly city in the world bar none! Cyclists are treated like gods above motor vehicles
Plus you cant get proper on the tinkle, and your worrying all the time about your motor, etc...

Not even contemplating a semi-final, let alone a final yet. And to be honest, until around the 60/70min mark next Thursday night I doubt I'll even be thinking we are in the quarters.

History tells us, if there is one team that is has the capacity to blow a 3-0 lead...its us. First 20/30 mins are crucial in Milan, We are in a great position no doubt,but its only halfway

Amsterdam is the most car unfriendly city in the world bar none! Cyclists are treated like gods above motor vehicles
Plus you cant get proper on the tinkle, and your worrying all the time about your motor, etc...

270 miles from dover. Any city hates cars, just as you wouldn't drive into central london but you may park at ashford, ebbsfleet, croydon etc and do the last bit by train. Must be similar places just outside Amsterdam, you're not gonna be needing the car while in the city and you'll still be able to get on the lash (unless you're gonna tell me you're going for one day:ross:) then just pop back to the motor after the last night (of mayhem).

Infinitely more options (ferry/eurotunnel) even right up to the date of the final, and fill the car up with four of you and divvy it up, supercheap. Even hire one so no worries about sh*t happening.

Not even contemplating a semi-final, let alone a final yet. And to be honest, until around the 60/70min mark next Thursday night I doubt I'll even be thinking we are in the quarters.

History tells us, if there is one team that is has the capacity to blow a 3-0 lead...its us. First 20/30 mins are crucial in Milan, We are in a great position no doubt,but its only halfway

Goal to Inter within 5mins, nailed on

Back