• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

I don't think Harry did a whole lot wrong in the Europa League, despite the early exit. The result that cost us was the home game against PAOK, and the team we put out should have been more than capable of beating them (especially as they were reduced to ten men after 35 minutes):
Code:
Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2):					PAOK (4-2-3-1):
--------------------------					---------------
Gomes								Chalkias (C)
Ćorluka								Etto
Gallas								Contreras (Cirillo 81)
Bassong (C)							Malezas
Rose (Bale 63)							Stafylidis
Lennon								Garc?¡a
Livermore							Lazăr (Arias 84)
Modrić								Salpigidis
Pienaar (Walker 68)						Fotakis
Defoe								Georgiadis (Sznaucner 63)
Kane (Falqu?® 72)						Athanasiadis
And in playing mostly fringe/youth players in the group stages he protected our first team for league games played three days later. Our results in them? We beat Arsenal (H), Liverpool at (H), Blackburn (A), Fulham (A), Bolton (H) and Sunderland (H). Six games, six wins. The one thing I disliked was Harry's overt disdain for the competition in not even registering Friedel, VDV & Ade for it, and having an embarrassing four subs on the bench in the Shamrock Rovers away game.

I'd agree that the EL team selection enabled us to get better PL results, but Adebayor was registered in the squad.

Not just a matter of what players he selected,
it was also the way we prepared and what attitude we had to the games.
As many have said (BAE, Pav etc.), "it's only Europa League", "no one cares about that tournament",
+ general attitude that if you played you're a back up player (almost like being told to play with the youth/reserve team. The manager should want to win this thing, rotation is fine, but it must be done with some finess, not just dump everyone who haven't played into a side. Wonder how team preparation was for the games, looked like the players hadn't played with eachother before.

i cant beilive they dont give the winners of the europa league a place in next years champions league.

it would make it so much more attractive to the clubs in it & therefore would make the competition more exciting

it only further highlights the greed of uefa , pandering to the so called biggest clubs ...

how can teams be relegated into it from UCL ( 3rd in the group ) but not be promoted from it , absolutey crazy rule !

i would say this even if spurs wernt in it this year !

Fair enough that would be 9.5-10.5m from the groups and another 6m to get to the semi final.

The TV rights are centralised through Uefa. Its included in the TV Market pool portion of the prize money.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Liverpool and ourselves will be sharing out 9-10m. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Liverpool somehow don't make it into the Groups we'd get the lot.

Distribution of the EL market pool doesn't work in quite the same way as for the CL. In the EL the pool for each country depends partly on the latest round reached by a team from that country. In 2010/11 Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project both reached the last 16 and the total English market pool was €8.1m. I would estimate around €6m of that was for participating in the group stage but yes, if we're the only English team, we'll get it all.

Here are some of the teams who would be competing in next year's competition (starting at different qualification stages of course)

- FC Internazionale Milano
- FC Liverpool
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd
- SS Lazio
- Napoli SSC
- VfB Stuttgart
- Bayer Leverkusen
- Hannover 96
- Atletico Madrid
- Athletic Bilbao
- Sporting CP
- Besiktas

I sincerely hope Arry takes it a little more seriously next season and most importanlty - so do our players (looking at you, BAE).

some amazing teams there, most will take it seriously, to be the best amongst that lot would be quite an achievement...if Redknapp doesnt want to take it seriously, then id like a new young ambitious manager who will

some amazing teams there, most will take it seriously, to be the best amongst that lot would be quite an achievement...if Redknapp doesnt want to take it seriously, then id like a new young ambitious manager who will
Juande Ramos maybe?!? :D

I think Harry will pick teams that should be good enough to get us out of our group and then where we go from there will probably depend on how we are doing in the league and perhaps the FA Cup. Is it telling that neither of last year's finalists managed to qualify for the CL via their league positions in Spain - despite (IMO) them seeming to be better teams than the two that finished 3rd and 4th?

has it been mentioned the final is in Amsterdam next year ?

how great would that be

Excellent news.

Despite the obvious disappointment of missing out on CL, I'm still looking forward to a few European nights at the Lane.
There are some tasty names in it again, moreso than last season even. Getting back towards the quality of the old Uefa Cup, which took some winning in its heyday.

A final in Amsterdam would be amazing for any fans, let alone Spurs

i really hope we make a go of it next year, we basically fudged off the group stages last season and still managed to come within a point or so of going through - one or two extra first team players this time round and we could possibly advance without too much of a strain on league form then we can add in a lot more first team players and take the knock outs more seriously.

there was some good quality on show this year and the final was a fantastic advert for football - id be delighted if we could get there and i think it would give the whole club a lift

i really hope we make a go of it next year, we basically fudged off the group stages last season and still managed to come within a point or so of going through - one or two extra first team players this time round and we could possibly advance without too much of a strain on league form then we can add in a lot more first team players and take the knock outs more seriously.

there was some good quality on show this year and the final was a fantastic advert for football - id be delighted if we could get there and i think it would give the whole club a lift

100% agree

Here are some of the teams who would be competing in next year's competition (starting at different qualification stages of course)

- FC Internazionale Milano
- FC Liverpool
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd
- SS Lazio
- Napoli SSC
- VfB Stuttgart
- Bayer Leverkusen
- Hannover 96
- Atletico Madrid
- Athletic Bilbao
- Sporting CP
- Besiktas

I sincerely hope Arry takes it a little more seriously next season and most importanlty - so do our players (looking at you, BAE).

Cracking set of teams although most of them will be top seeds just like us which is unfortunate. However some of teams that we could draw could leave us with a tidy couple of games in the group stage:

Stuttgart
Napoli
Rosenberg
AZ Alkmaar
Sparta Prague

Really hope we draw a scottish team again given the lack of travel issues a tie like that provides. Hearts, Dundee United and probably Motherwell should all make the qualifier for the group stage.

Pretty tasty line up that. Would love to see us go for it.

Dont mind the stiffs playing the group games as long as we qualify but once in the knock outs we should really go for it.

would love a trip to Napoli :lol:

You Know! Propa Nawtey innit?!

I actually like the look of us drawing Academica de Coimbra. Its an hour from Porto on the train or an hour and a half from Lisbon on the train. Nice options if we drew them for when they ramp up the prices. Lowest seeds as well, lovely stadium redone for Euro 2004......First game in the group stage on a warm September night?! Yes please!

Back