• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

But why should we continue to carry a player who obviously needs everyone around him to put in world class performances to be able to look even half decent? Surely replacing that player with someone decent is a better option!
The "it's not his job" is gonad*s. A decent player is able to do more than one thing. A decent player is able to contribute both offensively and defensively. Kante does, Kovacic does, Moutinho does, Neves does, Mctominay does, Ndombele does, just to name a few. But Dier does not....
They do, but significantly more so in a functional midfield partnership with different players making up for each other's weaknesses, in a functional team unit as a whole.

But why should we continue to carry a player who obviously needs everyone around him to put in world class performances to be able to look even half decent? Surely replacing that player with someone decent is a better option!
The "it's not his job" is gonad*s. A decent player is able to do more than one thing. A decent player is able to contribute both offensively and defensively. Kante does, Kovacic does, Moutinho does, Neves does, Mctominay does, Ndombele does, just to name a few. But Dier does not....
Nobody has claimed that. They've simply said that he needs to be paired with someone who doesn't completely vacate the midfield and leave him having to deal with 2/3 players by himself all match.

Take a look at the average position chart from the end of the first half in the match thread for a good example.

Last edited:

Hate to say it but Ndombele has directly cost us goals, not least against Bayern at a key moment. Kante? Different class. Kovacic? Nah. Moutinho? Decent. I like McTomimay for sure.

Hate to say it but Ndombele has directly cost us goals, not least against Bayern at a key moment. Kante? Different class. Kovacic? Nah. Moutinho? Decent. I like McTomimay for sure.
Ndombele doesn’t really have a defensive nature in him
McTominay has been decent he got subbed vs Watford as they were chasing a game (sound familiar). Him and Fred were great vs us but they were up against one man

Ndombele doesn’t really have a defensive nature in him
McTominay has been decent he got subbed vs Watford as they were chasing a game (sound familiar). Him and Fred were great vs us but they were up against one man
It's not about one off games. Every player will make mistakes. It's about how they generally do. These players generally contribute in both halves of the pitch. That's the point. Dier in the current state does neither. He's not mobile enough to be an effective defensive shield, and his lack of passing and creativity makes him very ineffective in the offensive play.

So who plays instead? His role? Tell you what, I’ll even take Aurier out of the starting 11 and replace him with Foyth, giving anyone in there 50% more opportunity to have a partner.

That's the problem. We don't have any options for a DM. Dier is currently dire, Wanyama is patently knackered, Winks and Sissoko are not DMs and none of our five latest purchases can defend - Aurier, Moura, NDombele, LoCelso and Sess. Who's fault is that?

That's the problem. We don't have any options for a DM. Dier is currently dire, Wanyama is patently knackered, Winks and Sissoko are not DMs and none of our five latest purchases can defend - Aurier, Moura, NDombele, LoCelso and Sess. Who's fault is that?

You won’t like my answer;)

We will never really know who's fault it is, but I expect it's more than one person's.

Do we assume that he's out of favour now given the lack of appearances over xmas?

I used to like him but his appearances over the last couple months suggest the fight has gone out of him so I'd flog him for whatever we can get and reinvest the proceeds

Do we assume that he's out of favour now given the lack of appearances over xmas?

I used to like him but his appearances over the last couple months suggest the fight has gone out of him so I'd flog him for whatever we can get and reinvest the proceeds
He was ill today

Marmite player for a lot of fans, personally I like him. Another game where he didn't play and we got beat. Until we get a better DM he's our best option and when not ill or injured needs to play in front of the back 4 as we're too lightweight and far too open when we give away possession....something by the way we excelled at today!

Marmite player for a lot of fans, personally I like him. Another game where he didn't play and we got beat. Until we get a better DM he's our best option and when not ill or injured needs to play in front of the back 4 as we're too lightweight and far too open when we give away possession....something by the way we excelled at today!
Sadly we don't look any less lightweight or open when he plays (in midfield). Wouldn't mind trying out a Dier Sanchez Centre back partnership.I thought it worked quite well in the Champs League.

Back