• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

@mixedknuts: Eric Dier is pretty interesting so far. Credit to Spurs for finding him - he's fit in very well to start.
ByeKT8KIMAAbxcT.png

re those graphics, how do they determine the highest value for each category - is it the highest scored by a player in the league/club?

re those graphics, how do they determine the highest value for each category - is it the highest scored by a player in the league/club?

It used to be the highest scoring players in Europe but he changed the radar template a few months ago...

Introducing and Explaining Fullback Radars. Sagna, Debuchy, Lahm, Alves and More | StatsBomb

The boundaries themselves represent the top 5% and bottom 5% of statistical production, across five seasons of the big 5 European leagues at that position. Statistically, this represents two standard deviations away from the mean, which is usually a set of outliers we should be very interested in.

My initial radars actually used the individual peak season of output for any player in the same population sample. At first this sounded interesting, but what happened was Lionel Messi made average players look terrible statistically. (You can see it in the link in the link here. Messi, Ronaldo, and Ribery look good, but not awesome, which means normal players look terribad.)

At the end of the day, the current methodology feels much better to me. It orients the charts and your brain to immediately understand whether players are doing really well or really poorly in certain areas. It’s not quite as precise as the pure max output templates, but it is better for the larger population.

Why is he still playing right back when the likes of Kaboul, Fazio and Chiriches have started ahead of him?

Is this a serious question? He's our only available right back, unless you consider Kaboul an option there (which I do not unless it's last resort)

Why is he still playing right back when the likes of Kaboul, Fazio and Chiriches have started ahead of him?

Possibly because a) Naughton is a bit of a mystery, and b) the familiarity he's built up playing at RB would have to be replaced should we move another one of the CBs or Stambouli there.

He has come from the portuguese league. A league full of tricky little strikers who dive a lot. You can see when he is close to a man he is watching the ball not watching the man. He is much better technically at tackling than Kaboul. He needs to get his position in my mind as Youness is a liability.

He was all at sea for the first goal. But what annoyed me the most was he didn't close down or charge Aguerro, instead half turned his back on the shot.
Contrast this with Daws performance against **** today and I honestly fear about who makes the decisions at our Club.
I am sure he will improve as he has been bought as a CB, but to buy Fazio and release Daws due to lack of pace seems daft.
Dier has some learning to do but he has potential.

Re: Welcome Eric Dier!

I really feel sorry for the lad, because the more I see him play I realise despite his positive start to the season the more I see him play at right back the more I realise he is a centre back.

I really feel sorry for the lad, because the more I see him play I realise despite his positive start to the season the more I see him play at right back the more I realise he is a centre back.

He looked like a cb from the start to me, should have always been Naughton ahead of him. For you to not see that is fine, but would have thought Poch would have worked that out early on....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

He looked like a cb from the start to me, should have always been Naughton ahead of him. For you to not see that is fine, but would have thought Poch would have worked that out early on....

Naughton has always been ahead of him when he's been fit or not suspended though..

Naughton has always been ahead of him when he's been fit or not suspended though..

He definitely hasn't mate, I remember posting on here earlier in the season I can't believe Dier is being selected ahead of Naughton and it wasn't a minor EL game or anything. But of late Naughton has definitely been ahead of him yes...

He is not a right back.
So why does POCH not change the system to one which doesn't require him to be Cafu?
I.e defend then run the length of the pitch beat the opposition FB with Stanley Matthews dribbling skill and deliver the goal scoring assist.
He needs help as our RBs are injured not that any FB can be expected to achieve this. Chadli in front him today would have helped, or Lennon. But a 4-4-2 where the FBs are not expected to be wingers and just do their defensive work first might help him the most. Surely, PoCH needs to find a more effective system?

He's not a right-back, he's young, he'll make mistakes and all that -- but the equaliser was just poor professionalism from the lad. He came out sloppy, looked like he was half asleep when Saudi Sportswashing Machine kicked off and got caught out as a result. I hope he learns from it, and gets a rocket up his **** just incase one is needed.

He's not a right-back, he's young, he'll make mistakes and all that -- but the equaliser was just poor professionalism from the lad. He came out sloppy, looked like he was half asleep when Saudi Sportswashing Machine kicked off and got caught out as a result. I hope he learns from it, and gets a rocket up his **** just incase one is needed.

Maybe he had a word with Vertonghen about not liking playing full back. And Vertonghen give him some advise.

It wasn't totally his fault for the goal, at at angle I'd expect the cb to reach there first. Kaboul gave up the run , never got back to block despite having a shorter distance to run.

I said it about 8 weeks ago.... He plays square on any winger so is easier to beat and it doesn't help him read the game
Personally with the injuries we have there I'd play him central and Kaboul right back. Kaboul has always looked solid there for me and looks more comfortable going forward

I really don't want Diers rep to be tarnished being played out of position

Agree, but I think dier relishes the opportunity and learns from his mistake. He's looking better and better at rb though I agree a proper rb he is not .

Back