• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Dier cut a very frustrated figure in the first half yesterday.
I'm not sure if he can keep having these types of games and remain in the first team reckoning.
He is quite fortunate that all the midfielders have fitness issues.
He is not being spacegoated he has been and is playing poorly.

He's a player capable of sublime passes, so I'm not surprised he is getting phucked off with himself for messing up the easy stuff. And it doesn't seem like anyone else in centre midfield is any better at the moment, so we just have to hope he plays himself into good form. When none of our centre midfield options are really standing out as "must start" then it is probably time to sign someone in there, which would hopefully make the others raise their game. I'd think it would be Dembele replaced in the summer due to a combination of age/fitness/desire to play in the Premier League (whether his body can take much more of it).

I do feel Dier has been coasting slowly into his current malaise over the past year or so. So my honest opinion is he could be on the chopping block. If he raises his game up and stays in the team as a result, then I'd be delighted, we all would.

Dier has to knuckle down and put some work in to get through this poor patch.
No one said it would be a easy at this level.
If his current form continues he is toast.

Last edited:
Sometimes when things aren’t going well you can overthink it, causing the simplest natural actions to go wrong. Dier strikes me as potentially his own harshest critic and I always felt his ascent from concerted to DM to England captain was a little too quick. I’m sure he will come good again, maybe some rotation as Winks and Wanyama return for a mental and physical rest as he’d been involved a lot over the last couple of years and he’ll also benefit from a collective improvement around him.

To me Dier's strength used to be anticipating in front of the back four -- he'd often mop up and be in the right place at the right time.

Seems he's a yard or two behind the past few game. However, as he's over achieved the past year a dip in form isn't too alarming yet.

I don't know why people bother following Spurs when City and Liverpool have 20 to 30 players who never make a mistake and play brilliantly each game instead of bunch of crap players like Dier, Davies, Sisokko, Sanchez, Vorm, Kane, Son, etc. My real interest now is not our results but what player has been singled out for abuse by our "fans", some people on here laugh at WoolwichTV without realising the irony.

Its one of the things about football in todays game, fans always have to have a whipping boy and such a lot of them are choosing Dier as that player at the moment. As you say when he returns to his best ( and he will) they will find another of our players to abuse.

Its one of the things about football in todays game, fans always have to have a whipping boy and such a lot of them are choosing Dier as that player at the moment. As you say when he returns to his best ( and he will) they will find another of our players to abuse.

Maybe some need a whipping boy. For me, if a player is consistently under par, then he's got to up his game or get dropped/replaced. I think, over the past year or so, Dier has had more poor games than good ones and he has started this season in very poor form imo. I hope he improves and becomes a rock of our midfield. And if he doesn't, then I hope he gets replaced.

We worry about Kane being jaded BUT we have called on Dier more than any the last couple of seasons. We (he) could do with one of Winks or Wanyama to really start showing some form so he can maybe step aside for a bit. Dont forget he stands up for this team, and he is, i agree, in a dip of form right now but he will come out of it and once again play and help out wherever and whenever asked.

The worst thing is, at the back-end of the season before last, Dier and Wanyama lined up in centre-midfield together and were excellent. Did everything, dominated opponents, controlled games, passed the ball brilliantly. Wanyama has gone to sh1t because of injury and he ahsn't been able to put a run of games together. No idea if he can get his form back. Dier just seems to have slowly coasted downhill. He needs to up his game.

Last season he spent half the time covering for a new CB and a promoted RB on the cover, not to mention compensating for no Wanyama. This season he is once again having to cover areas around and behind him. He has not been at his excellent best but has still been far better than you or several others here think IMO, especially when put into context.

Maybe some need a whipping boy. For me, if a player is consistently under par, then he's got to up his game or get dropped/replaced. I think, over the past year or so, Dier has had more poor games than good ones and he has started this season in very poor form imo. I hope he improves and becomes a rock of our midfield. And if he doesn't, then I hope he gets replaced.
Kane's been off his game for a while. Not seen any call from you for us to sell him in January.

Kane's been off his game for a while. Not seen any call from you for us to sell him in January.

Kane is a different kettle of fish - off-form Kane still scores goals, which is his primary job. On form, Kane is one of the best number 9s in the world. So it's a stupid comparison.

Last season he spent half the time covering for a new CB and a promoted RB on the cover, not to mention compensating for no Wanyama. This season he is once again having to cover areas around and behind him. He has not been at his excellent best but has still been far better than you or several others here think IMO, especially when put into context.

He's a defensive midfielder, his job is to cover the players around him. I hope he gets better because it will benefit the team. But if he doesn't and he has a mediocre season, then I hope it's a position where Poch and Levy will look for an upgrade.

Off form Dier still makes interceptions passes and tackles.
He also makes poor decisions when under no pressure, goes missing when we are under the cosh and fails time and time again to properly defend set pieces. Do I think he can improve- definately. Do I like him and want him to succeed - for sure. However, I think he has been massively hyped and he hasn’t made either the Central Midfield or Centre back positions his own yet.

Off form Dier still makes interceptions passes and tackles.

If he was the Harry Kane of midfield, I wouldn't criticise him. But he isn't.

In our best ever season under Poch, Dier wasn't first choice in midfield, Wanyama and Dembele were. Dier played in the back 3. The following summer, Poch spent £40m on a centre-back who could/would take Dier's place in the back 3. Wanyama got crocked and Toby too, so that put paid to whatever plans Poch may have had. IMO, he's far from secure in his place in the team as a midfielder at his current level of performance.

I actually thought he played better in the 2nd half v Huddersfield as part of the back 3. And one of his best games last season was, imo, part of a back 3 against Real Madrid. With Toby's future not certain and Vertonghen getting older, this might be the future for Dier. His long-range passing can be very good and that's an important tool for our centre-backs.

If he was the Harry Kane of midfield, I wouldn't criticise him. But he isn't.

In our best ever season under Poch, Dier wasn't first choice in midfield, Wanyama and Dembele were. Dier played in the back 3. The following summer, Poch spent £40m on a centre-back who could/would take Dier's place in the back 3. Wanyama got crocked and Toby too, so that put paid to whatever plans Poch may have had. IMO, he's far from secure in his place in the team as a midfielder at his current level of performance.

I actually thought he played better in the 2nd half v Huddersfield as part of the back 3. And one of his best games last season was, imo, part of a back 3 against Real Madrid. With Toby's future not certain and Vertonghen getting older, this might be the future for Dier. His long-range passing can be very good and that's an important tool for our centre-backs.
That's starting to sound a bit more like the "I never rated him and think Wanyama is better" that I suspected the initial post was masking ;)

That's starting to sound a bit more like the "I never rated him and think Wanyama is better" that I suspected the initial post was masking ;)

I think Dier has played much better for us. I also think Wanyama at his best was better for us than Dier, we had our best season with him and Dembele as the midfield 2. But he's been poor since coming back from injury. Hopefully he gets back to somewhere near his best if he can stay fit for a time. If he can't, then he'll get replaced. At the moment, neither of them are playing well enough. Which is a shame, because we had a few games where they played together in midfield where they looked outstanding (see a post of mine in this thread a few posts back).

Poch is the one who picked Wanyama in midfield and Poch is the one who bought a £40m centre-back the season after Dier was used in a back 3. It wasn't the plan for Wanyama and Toby to get long-term injuries, so we can speculate who would have stayed in the first XI had they stayed fit. If Dier doesn't improve, imo he will become a squad player for us the way he has become one for England.

I think Dier has played much better for us. I also think Wanyama at his best was better for us than Dier, we had our best season with him and Dembele as the midfield 2. But he's been poor since coming back from injury. Hopefully he gets back to somewhere near his best if he can stay fit for a time. If he can't, then he'll get replaced. At the moment, neither of them are playing well enough. Which is a shame, because we had a few games where they played together in midfield where they looked outstanding (see a post of mine in this thread a few posts back).

Poch is the one who picked Wanyama in midfield and Poch is the one who bought a £40m centre-back the season after Dier was used in a back 3. It wasn't the plan for Wanyama and Toby to get long-term injuries, so we can speculate who would have stayed in the first XI had they stayed fit. If Dier doesn't improve, imo he will become a squad player for us the way he has become one for England.
I don't think that Dier and Wanyama is the kind of midfield a progressive team should be playing. In fact, the whole reason the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 was developed was so that a team could play two players like Dier or Dembele and didn't need a Wanyama.

Using the choice of someone who picks Jordan Henderson for their midfield is fighting a losing battle from the start - you need to do better than that.

Back