• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I have long felt that Nike want back in big-time having lost Utd and the filth, we are an attractive option, London, NFL hook-in PLUS the perfect potential naming rights situation. I mean, it will ALWAYS be WHite Hart Lane, but if we are going to prostitute ourselves and take 150 mill upfront for naming rights, Nike Hart Lane isn't such a bad compromise...

The naming rights will surely take a hit by the fact that it's on the same site, so everyone will still refer to it as WHL (and potential sponsors will know that).

There was no way Arsenal could keep calling their new ground Highbury. Though they did submit to being Emirates over Ashburton Grove (whereas Southampton managed to keep St Mary's over Friends Providence).

I'm not sure that's much of an issue - the main thing is all newspapers/TV etc will refer to the stadium as it's official name - the actual supporters who still call it WHL will be a drop in the ocean compared to those who will be fed the official name

The naming rights will surely take a hit by the fact that it's on the same site, so everyone will still refer to it as WHL (and potential sponsors will know that).

There was no way Arsenal could keep calling their new ground Highbury. Though they did submit to being Emirates over Ashburton Grove (whereas Southampton managed to keep St Mary's over Friends Providence).
Most of the naming rights value I suspect will come from the Far East and America, they will not care that in the UK we continue to call it WHL.

I think you are right, I was using it as an extreme example of why we would accept lower. If I remember correctly, Emirates paid a lump of the initial £100m up front for the scum's stadium which went a long way to reducing the amount of finance that they then needed to get.

Having said that, Apple have billions in cash............................
The issue here though is that a brand like Apple wouldn't really get any extra brand awareness by sponsoring THFC.

The issue here though is that a brand like Apple wouldn't really get any extra brand awareness by sponsoring THFC.

That makes sense

I'd never heard of most of our sponsors before they sponsored us and I still don't know what many of them do even now - Holsten (crap beer), HP (printers rather than the sauce IIRC), Thompson (like Thomas Cook), Mansion (Playboy related?), Autonomy/Aurasma (pan pipe soundtracks?), Investec (the people in Luxembourg who arrange my company's tax fiddles), AIA (Hong Kong taxis?)

Not household names anyway

Like Raz, I'm not overly worried about Levy undervaluing the naming rights. I don't think he has undervalued anything that he has sold. But one thing to consider is that Levy may accept £150m immediately as one upfront cash sum (so that it can directly finance the stadium) rather than say £170m spread over 5 years. I would imagine that there would be performance related enhancements put in if we were to get CL etc... as well. I would imagine that we would get close if not more than Arsenal's figure on the basis that:

1. We're in the same league; and
2. Our stadium is going to be the first purpose built American Football stadium built outside of the USA or at least certainly in Europe.

If in the not to distant future, an NFL team were to be based at WHL then I can only see those naming rights being worth even more.

I will caveat that we struggled with our shirt sponsor and kit manufacturer to come close to what Arsenal are getting.

That's the thing: I know that if there's anything Levy does remotely well (grrrrr), it's selling things for far, far more than could reasonably be expected for 'em: he's in a class of his own here, definitely. However, I do wonder why we can't get more than the sum Arsenal received in 2012: is it because (As you suggested) he's looking for a lump-sum payment (or perhaps a payment spread out over a short period)? Or is it because we tend to overrate the effects the new NFL-tailored stadium will have on the marketability gap between us and Arsenal? Something to ponder, I think.

I'd fully expect an American company to be all over it but it wouldn't be on a pay per session basis rather than a lump sum.

As highlighted earlier this is a stadium purpose built with American football in mind in a different continent so they will be all over it

Would expect a minimum of £10m per annum on the basis of other types of deal and potentially more

Arses deal includes all sponsorship whereas I think we will have everything's separate still as its more flexible long term

Nike have been mentioned on more than one occasion and you can understand why, however typically most companies look for the disassociation effect as a big issue e.g. Would an arse fan buy Nike knowing their paying us?!?! It was a massive issue in Scotland which is why Rangers and Celtic had the same sponsor for years

I avoid Samsung products like the plague. Anything Emirates or Etihad related is a no go (not been an issue yet though). Never touch Carlsberg unless it's an emergency. The fact that it tastes like tinkle helps of course.

I avoid Samsung products like the plague. Anything Emirates or Etihad related is a no go (not been an issue yet though). Never touch Carlsberg unless it's an emergency. The fact that it tastes like tinkle helps of course.

In the same boat. Won't touch Nike, Puma, Emirates and Qatar with iron poles.

I'm not sure that's much of an issue - the main thing is all newspapers/TV etc will refer to the stadium as it's official name - the actual supporters who still call it WHL will be a drop in the ocean compared to those who will be fed the official name

GB is right on this one. The value of the rights will be affected by it being on the same site for the same reason that renamed stadiums normally go for less. Hopefully this will be offset by the added value of hosting NFL where the existing stadium name will be less familiar.

Very good point. I haven't seen Apple sponsoring anything outside of charitable and socially-oriented events, so don't think sponsoring a football stadium is their cup of tea.

GB is right on this one. The value of the rights will be affected by it being on the same site for the same reason that renamed stadiums normally go for less. Hopefully this will be offset by the added value of hosting NFL where the existing stadium name will be less familiar.

Are there any examples of new build stadiums similar to ours, on the same plot of land as the old one, which we could use as a comparison? I honestly don't think it's as big a deal as you think and I don't think you can use a renaming of an existing stadium as an even comparison tbh

Very good point. I haven't seen Apple sponsoring anything outside of charitable and socially-oriented events, so don't think sponsoring a football stadium is their cup of tea.

they won't its not the way they work, they advertise specific products in established channels, they don't need to raise brand awareness

The biggest most valuable companies in the world are the ones which spend the most on advertising aren't they?

Are there any examples of new build stadiums similar to ours, on the same plot of land as the old one, which we could use as a comparison? I honestly don't think it's as big a deal as you think and I don't think you can use a renaming of an existing stadium as an even comparison tbh

I read something a while back on this that I will try to find. In the meantime, this article, whilst a little old, covers some of this ground

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/25/stadium-naming-rights-liverpool-chelsea-spurs

Back