• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

If the right player is gettable then i hope we go out full guns blazing to buy him... if not, dont buy. It should be that simple

I dont know who were looking at and I'm glad as id rather its kept quiet for a long a possible as it give us more chance to acquire the players we want.

If we keep on our undefeated run and overall good performances perhaps some of the more moany posters will continue to stay away even in January ;)

giphy.gif

Tottenham ready for former US agent to show the money
Former agent that inspired Jerry Maguire character may buy stake in Spurs
Daniel_Levy_3505423b.jpg

Box-office draw: Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is seeking investment for the club’s £400m new stadium Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent

10:00PM GMT 19 Nov 2015

Daniel Levy’s attempts to finance Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium have attracted the interest of a former American sports agent who could even try to buy a stake in the club.

Jeff Moorad was partly the inspiration behind the character Tom Cruise played in the film Jerry Maguire and served as a technical consultant for the 1996 Oscar-winning production, in which he made a cameo appearance.

In the most famous scene, Maguire is forced to shout “show me the money” to his client down the telephone and that is exactly what Tottenham chairman Levy will be keen for Moorad to do.

Although neither party would confirm meetings had taken place, Telegraph Sport understands that Levy has spoken with Moorad in America.

Levy is still searching for investment to finance Tottenham’s £400 million stadium and is demanding £150 million for naming rights to the 61,000-seat arena, which could host NFL games.
Spurs last year released a statement on the attempts to raise funds that read: “This substantial construction project requires discussions with multiple providers of finance so that the optimum financing package can be achieved. To this end, we have appointed Rothschild to advise us on those options.”

Moorad, who is the former minority owner of both the Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres Major League Baseball clubs, is not thought to have the personal wealth to launch a full takeover bid for Tottenham, who are valued at around £800 million by owner Joe Lewis.

But the 60-year-old is understood to be looking at various ways of putting money into Spurs, including buying a stake. It is believed that Moorad is already working with a UK-based adviser over his interest in the club.

In 2013, he founded Moorad Sports Partners, a private investment firm that invests in and manages sports-related businesses, including professional teams.

Spurs last year received a preliminary takeover approach from private investment company Cain Hoy, but the group was unwilling to meet the asking price.

Moorad made his name as one of the leading American sports agents in partnership with Leigh Steinberg, the other inspiration behind the Maguire character, in the 1980s and negotiated over $3 billion in athletes’ contracts.

Tottenham hope their revised stadium plans will be passed by Haringey Council on Dec 8.

Interesting especially the fee for the naming rights. The fact that the stadium would be used for NFL can only help with this. Whoever does take up the naming rights will have exposure through football, american football and the number of other things planned for the stadium meaning that it will have exposure in more markets.

Interesting especially the fee for the naming rights. The fact that the stadium would be used for NFL can only help with this. Whoever does take up the naming rights will have exposure through football, american football and the number of other things planned for the stadium meaning that it will have exposure in more markets.

Very interesting .. I think one of the concerns re the stadium was we had left it too late, taken too long to get it approved.

Yet if you look at the financials of it

£400 million total cost
£150 million in naming rights
£? million already spent in land acquisition and initial buildings (Lillywhite house, etc.)
TV income going to be significantly higher than would have been accounted for in initial plans
Last year profit I believe was close to £50 million? (before new tv money)
New stadium would have additional revenue streams (NFL, Events, Corporate)

You could be looking at the club having to finance less than £150 million for the stadium, that's a really small amount relatively and would be an amazing job from Levy.

Very interesting .. I think one of the concerns re the stadium was we had left it too late, taken too long to get it approved.

£400 million total cost
£? million already spent in land acquisition and initial buildings (Lillywhite house, etc.)
TV income going to be significantly higher than would have been accounted for in initial plans

You could be looking at the club having to finance less than £150 million for the stadium, that's a really small amount relatively and would be an amazing job from Levy.

Completely agree. We've made the most of the delay (!!) and actually it has played into our hands. The more we get from this innovative project in terms of naming rights and TV money etc.... the less number of years we will have to pay it back and so the quicker we can get our return.

£400 million total cost

I think that figure is about £150m

I think this came from the simple cost to build new WHL at Stratford being £250m vs that + the land acquisition and groundworks in Tottenham totalling £400m.

Our transfer budget has also dropped from c.£30m pa prior to 2009, to £0 since 2009, which suggests c.£180m has been diverted away.

Basically, if we keep our zero net spend for the next 3 years, we might even KO at new WHL mortgage free. We'll have frontloaded our decade of austerity vs Arsenal's post-opening one.

I do wonder if that's undervaluing the exposure any potential commercial sponsor would get at the ground, though. Our benchmark seems to be Arsenal's 150 million quid deal with Emirates in 2012, but the PL's only grown in popularity since then, we'll have the NFL deal increasing our visibility in the States, where we've already captured quite a large market share relative to our size: and we might make CL this year. Apart from the barriers posed by the general dinginess of Tottenham relative to Islington and our smaller fanbase, I think we could put up a reasonable argument for requesting a larger fee for those naming rights.

Plus, Arsenal's 2012 Emirates deal was only a five-year thing that extended the the sponsorship from 2014 to 2019: I wonder how long our own deal will run for, if 150 million's really our asking price.

I do wonder if that's undervaluing the exposure any potential commercial sponsor would get at the ground, though. Our benchmark seems to be Arsenal's 150 million quid deal with Emirates in 2012, but the PL's only grown in popularity since then, we'll have the NFL deal increasing our visibility in the States, where we've already captured quite a large market share relative to our size: and we might make CL this year. Apart from the barriers posed by the general dinginess of Tottenham relative to Islington and our smaller fanbase, I think we could put up a reasonable argument for requesting a larger fee for those naming rights.

Plus, Arsenal's 2012 Emirates deal was only a five-year thing that extended the the sponsorship from 2014 to 2019: I wonder how long our own deal will run for, if 150 million's really our asking price.

Really not worried about Levy getting the right value, think we can all feel confident we will get a competitive deal (we know what Levy is good at).

Really not worried about Levy getting the right value, think we can all feel confident we will get a competitive deal (we know what Levy is good at).
I think it is reasonably likely that we will see a combined kit and stadium sponsorship like Arsenal had with Emirates. With the whole 'extreme sports centre' thing I couldn't help but wonder whether Red Bull would want in on the act. From what I can see of that brand, growth in the US and Asia seems to be the priority and Spurs would offer a great opportunity to do that with the NFL deal and our popularity as a football team in the US, along with the PL's massive popularity across Asia. The slide out football pitch would also offer the possibility for the XGames BMX, skate, supercross, etc events.

How much do Red Bull pump into Formula 1 at the moment? That money could perhaps be better spent sponsoring us when looking at it from a marketing/brand awareness perspective.

Like Raz, I'm not overly worried about Levy undervaluing the naming rights. I don't think he has undervalued anything that he has sold. But one thing to consider is that Levy may accept £150m immediately as one upfront cash sum (so that it can directly finance the stadium) rather than say £170m spread over 5 years. I would imagine that there would be performance related enhancements put in if we were to get CL etc... as well. I would imagine that we would get close if not more than Arsenal's figure on the basis that:

1. We're in the same league; and
2. Our stadium is going to be the first purpose built American Football stadium built outside of the USA or at least certainly in Europe.

If in the not to distant future, an NFL team were to be based at WHL then I can only see those naming rights being worth even more.

I will caveat that we struggled with our shirt sponsor and kit manufacturer to come close to what Arsenal are getting.

Like Raz, I'm not overly worried about Levy undervaluing the naming rights. I don't think he has undervalued anything that he has sold. But one thing to consider is that Levy may accept £150m immediately as one upfront cash sum (so that it can directly finance the stadium) rather than say £170m spread over 5 years. I would imagine that there would be performance related enhancements put in if we were to get CL etc... as well. I would imagine that we would get close if not more than Arsenal's figure on the basis that:

1. We're in the same league; and
2. Our stadium is going to be the first purpose built American Football stadium built outside of the USA or at least certainly in Europe.

If in the not to distant future, an NFL team were to be based at WHL then I can only see those naming rights being worth even more.

I will caveat that we struggled with our shirt sponsor and kit manufacturer to come close to what Arsenal are getting.
I'm not sure that there are too many (any?) companies that could pay £150 million as an up front lump sum? I think we'd be relying on one of the brands directly owned by one of the Sovereign Wealth funds to bring in such an amount.

I'm not sure that there are too many (any?) companies that could pay £150 million as an up front lump sum? I think we'd be relying on one of the brands directly owned by one of the Sovereign Wealth funds to bring in such an amount.

I think you are right, I was using it as an extreme example of why we would accept lower. If I remember correctly, Emirates paid a lump of the initial £100m up front for the scum's stadium which went a long way to reducing the amount of finance that they then needed to get.

Having said that, Apple have billions in cash............................

Back