• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

yeah but one is illegal and morally dubious but the other is reprehensible on all levels.

There are levels to everything including crimes.

I think you are not seeing the bigger picture here mate, do you know how many people lose their money due to insider trading? How many people have lost their hard earned pensions, savings, homes, business' due to unscrupulous banks and fund managers? Both are terrible and unpalatable for their own reasons.

I get some will not get the comparison as one is in your face and very relatable and the other has a massive under current of disgust.

I think you are not seeing the bigger picture here mate, do you know how many people lose their money due to insider trading? How many people have lost their hard earned pensions, savings, homes, business' due to unscrupulous banks and fund managers? Both are terrible and unpalatable for their own reasons.

I get some will not get the comparison as one is in your face and very relatable and the other has a massive under current of disgust.
Insider trading just puts people ahead of the curve. It just means that everyone buying or selling makes fractionally less.

It's not right, but it's commonplace. A bit like speeding.

Insider trading just puts people ahead of the curve. It just means that everyone buying or selling makes fractionally less.

It's not right, but it's commonplace. A bit like speeding.

Again I don't think you get the implications being ahead of the curve is one thing but then lumping mass amounts of money can wipe out stops which were targeted and reasonable. It can cause market crashes and spikes taking millions off innocent people. The market is not for the feint hearted but when you can see a trend you can make sensible decisions... but when there is a wild whipsaw then there is nothing you can do when the retail market is skewed.

Again I don't think you get the implications being ahead of the curve is one thing but then lumping mass amounts of money can wipe out stops which were targeted and reasonable. It can cause market crashes and spikes taking millions off innocent people. The market is not for the feint hearted but when you can see a trend you can make sensible decisions... but when there is a wild whipsaw then there is nothing you can do when the retail market is skewed.
Do you think this is what Lewis has done here?

So Lewis has nothing to do with the club?

Right you are.

Indeed, right he is.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-joe-lewis-latest-premier-league-b1097099.html

"Tottenham will face no Premier League punishment should Joe Lewis be found guilty after facing insider trading charges in the US. Premier League chiefs are understood to be satisfied that Lewis is no longer linked directly to Tottenham, having relinquished ownership of Spurs in October."

So all this is of vague interest about a figure who used to be connected to the club. I can understand as news develops that opposition fans would want to hype up some fake equivalence with the other dodgy clubs out there and confect some moral outrage. But hopefully Spurs fans wouldn't fall like suckers for this - unless they are especially susceptible due to confirmation bias.

Do you think this is what Lewis has done here?

I'm not privy to the case but on face value it looks like he has chums in high places and related some sensitive information which has seen the market skewed ... they are talking in the hundreds of millions being profited ....

I'm not privy to the case but on face value it looks like he has chums in high places and related some sensitive information which has seen the market skewed ... they are talking in the hundreds of millions being profited ....
So not even a fraction of a blip in the markets then?

Not sure this is going to have caused too many crashes or spikes in the market doing anything much of anything.

Reactions: DTA

Not sure this is going to have caused too many crashes or spikes in the market doing anything much of anything.

Depends on the liquidity of the assets and which markets their listed on.
100 trades on the Nasdaq with £1m profit each time isn't going to make much difference imo - however, I know someone who had a mining company on the AIM market and they did something similar that drastically influenced the price (years ago now)

yeah but one is illegal and morally dubious but the other is reprehensible on all levels.

There are levels to everything including crimes.

It doesn't come down to people here having bias or a wonky moral compass because ultimately if he is guilty he gets sent down and rightly so. I doubt anyone will be defending him if guilty I certainly won't.

It all works both ways if he had ploughed a billion into the club you would ha fans turning up to games with mock 1980s mobiles and metal affect briefcases in solidarity with him ala Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans in headscarves.

It doesn't come down to people here having bias or a wonky moral compass because ultimately if he is guilty he gets sent down and rightly so. I doubt anyone will be defending him if guilty I certainly won't.

It all works both ways if he had ploughed a billion into the club you would ha fans turning up to games with mock 1980s mobiles and metal affect briefcases in solidarity with him ala Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans in headscarves.

Despite my post above I agree with this. You've made billions from trading/investments, you know the rules, don't break them. Same for everyone.

Depends on the liquidity of the assets and which markets their listed on.
100 trades on the Nasdaq with £1m profit each time isn't going to make much difference imo - however, I know someone who had a mining company on the AIM market and they did something similar that drastically influenced the price (years ago now)
This was over the course of about 8 years - not all in one transaction.

This was over the course of about 8 years - not all in one transaction.

Not sure this comes down to whether these actions were large enough to distort the market.

More to do with that people simply financially benefited from the alleged insider information Lewis provided.

Even the prosecutors are scammers though. Nancy Pelosi did the same for years passing off information to her husband who made 10s of millions.

But nothing done because of who she is. So Lewis may be a crook but in reality they are all crooks.

Ha how did you find up with that conclusion from what I said? Those are extreme instant shifts which happen in seconds I give you that ... but retail traders don't day trade and usually have their stops well measured. Those stops can easily be taken out with false market sentiment that snowballs ...

Back