• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Not pertinent to the case, but I noticed in an old article, that Joe Lewis does/did watch Spurs games from afar, according to Michael Dawson:

His 220ft superyacht turned up on the Thames near Tower Bridge after he was given permission to moor in the heart of London, and even had his own moor built there. In May 2013, the Spurs players were welcomed aboard the Aviva III during a post-season tour of the Bahamas.

Then skipper Michael Dawson said: "I had never met him before, so it was nice to go over there and a great experience. What a really nice guy. And that yacht is unreal! But he’s just a normal guy. You could chat to him about anything. He tunes into all the games, he loves it. We just sat there chatting. He made us feel so welcome over there. It was relaxed. A lot of team-bonding together. It helps to be able to put a face to the person investing so much in this club he wants to be successful. He’s always watching. He knows what goes on. He would remember every game, every little thing."

So where are the moral police now?

Is insider trading a big deal morally? I mean in terms of corporate/financial law i get why it would be a big no no, but otherwise - not sure why anyone should care or find it morally suspect.

Is insider trading a big deal morally? I mean in terms of corporate/financial law i get why it would be a big no no, but otherwise - not sure why anyone should care or find it morally suspect.
Seriously? For every winner there is a loser. Those trading on insider information are ensuring they will be the winner. The loser will then often be pension funds and such like.

No offence I think you are out of your depth here with that comment. I'll leave it at that to avoid a long lecturing post.

Seriously? For every winner there is a loser. Those trading on insider information are ensuring they will be the winner. The loser will then often be pension funds and such like.

It's not a zero sum game. Shares generally trend upwards, especially in a world where countries print money. It is illegal though and shouldn't be done.

It's not great, but it's far more common than most people think.

In the table of bad brick done by PL club owners, we still come up way short of City and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, probably a few others too.

Corruption is corruption no matter how you dress it up. Silly to think one form of it is palatable and comparing it to others.

Never got a tip in a horse race and shared it with your mates?

Tbh i don't care what happens to lewis. Lock him up or don't. Sure some dirt will be brought up over the course of the trial.

Never got a tip in a horse race and shared it with your mates?

Tbh i don't care what happens to lewis. Lock him up or don't. Sure some dirt will be brought up over the course of the trial.

Those "tips" are usually way off and it's not the same.

Any way the man is innocent until proven otherwise

Lewis doesn't seem to be the beneficiary of the insider information. Some friends and associates made a few millions, amounts that he wouldn't even notice. Why would he do it? I suspect a significant fraction of gains made by short selling are based on inside information (rather than lucky bets) so perhaps this is like getting Al Capone on his taxes.

I think if we want to look at the morality of financial deals, his shorting of the pound before Black Wednesday is a bigger "crime" and did far more damage.

Lewis doesn't seem to be the beneficiary of the insider information. Some friends and associates made a few millions, amounts that he wouldn't even notice. Why would he do it? I suspect a significant fraction of gains made by short selling are based on inside information (rather than lucky bets) so perhaps this is like getting Al Capone on his taxes.

I think if we want to look at the morality of financial deals, his shorting of the pound before Black Wednesday is a bigger "crime" and did far more damage.
The suggestion is that he loaned investment money to them and then took some of the profits.

How stupid is that? I saw the bit about the loans but not that he was profiting. I guess he got extremely rich by always wanting more and free money is free money.

Neither are palatable ... love how you are trying to minimise the allegation
It is fairly minimal in the scheme of things.

I don't like it but not enough to care all that much. As it's not going to do anything to th club, it doesn't affect any of us in a meaningful way.

Back