• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Official - Adebayor

Ok let me get this straight;

Adebayor is crap = AVB's fault
Adebayor wasn't sold = AVB's fault
Adebayor wasn't played because of the above = AVB's fault

It seems to me, that as far as some Spurs fans are concerned, any negatives during AVB's tenure can be laid firmly at his door and I think that's just not right, especially with regard to Adebayor.

I think these Spurs fans have to ask themselves that if the 2012-13 season had been Ade's first with us and on loan with a view to a transfer, would we really have seen the poor effort from him and **** poor attitude?

He had got his new contract and ideally he would've have liked it with Harry being his boss.

He talks of the club , I think he's meaning AVB, of disrespecting him. This, after so many poor performances last season and after not returning from the ACN tournament at the agreed time, to be ready for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game when due to injuries, we had no other recognised striker available.

The Southampton post match BBC interview gave it away when he said , "no man can judge me but GHod"

It's not 'nonsense'…it's an opinion that holds at least the opportunity to be shown some respect when you see how the team shaped up against Chelski. Bale played more as a wide man and Ade was distinctly higher and more central in that match and a couple of others as the season wound down. You don't have to agree, but 'nonsense' is a bit harsh matey...

The fact that Ade were utilised by AVB in ways that many of us disagreed with, is fine with me . I'm just pouring scorn of the notion that Ade's poor form can be attributed to sacrificing his game so that Bale's contributions could be maximised . Poor effort from Ade is how I saw it .
Why can a center forward with his talents not pick up the ball as he did against Chelsea , run at the defenders and have a pop at goal more often ? Of all his games bar the away game to Chelsea can we recall anything of note from him? Lesser players like Dempsey and Sigurdson scored and contributed more as far as I'm concerned.

If this were true, you would have been able to see AVBs weaknesses too. Instead you have come across on here as a one man crusade to point out his virtues and ( to some of us) his hidden talents as a master tactician/coach. I am glad to see, at last, you too are adopting a more equivocal position.

I am also pleased to see that you haven't pre- judged TS ( unlike some others I could mention!). Lets give him a fair crack of the whip and hope for the best for the team.

COYS

I've always backed up my points on AVB with something though, I've never just said 'AVB is great' and left it at that. I'm happy to engage in debate about him, I just don't believe in 'blame' towards managers, or weaknesses per se. Or rather, what we perceive as weakness is actually just a choice he could make, which some agree with and some don't. And that's the same with Harry and will be with Sherwood.

Management is a lot about choices, and it's the short blanket theory as Benitez has discussed before and Paul Clement did recently. Whatever choice you make, it will always mean you can't do something else. So you will always leave another part of the team exposed if it's tactically we are talking, or you may get benefits from excluding a certain player from the squad but you also may annoy the player in question. The short blanket theory is that you will always leave something exposed. It's impossible to come up with a perfect, unbeatable system or make decisions that don't have negative consequences or risks attached to them.

So most of my debate on AVB has been coming from this perspective. Most people see it as 'he does X, which means is bad.' 'He does Y, which means he is clueless' and it just isn't like that at all. He didn't want Ade in the squad, it's not a purely 'bad' decision for example even if he performs well for Sherwood, which I am sure he will continue to do.

The fact that Ade were utilised by AVB in ways that many of us disagreed with, is fine with me . I'm just pouring scorn of the notion that Ade's poor form can be attributed to sacrificing his game so that Bale's contributions could be maximised . Poor effort from Ade is how I saw it .
Why can a center forward with his talents not pick up the ball as he did against Chelsea , run at the defenders and have a pop at goal more often ? Of all his games bar the away game to Chelsea can we recall anything of note from him? Lesser players like Dempsey and Sigurdson scored and contributed more as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest I think Ade was asked to play as any striker was in the AVB system, he just wasn't ideally suited to it and therefore that's why AVB didn't really want him in the first place, it's just an Ade less effective in that role is still slightly more effective than lesser quality strikers that we could have signed last year that would have preferred to play in that system. I guess that was how the situation was judged. Ade didn't perform well, but I think he did perform as tasked. It wasn't a special arrangement for him to make room for Bale though, because Defoe would be asked to play the same way, and Soldado this season. And since he didn't play well last season plus the other baggage, AVB clearly preferred Soldado and Defoe as more suited to how he wanted to play.

Absolutely correct. Many of us were crying out for one. Whether it was Levy or AVB I am not sure. I recall AVB saying that he was happy with his striking options - Ade , Defoe, Dempsey and Bale. Was he just towing the party line or did he really believe this?

I thought this at the time as I believed he just wanted to keep his head down after the Chelsea failure, but it's come out recently that his relationship with Levy had deteriorated even before that so now I don't know what to believe.

such a frustrating player to watch, on his day almost unplayable, genuinely top class and on other days barely touches the ball and cant even trap it.

he had a large part to play in causing the mayhem that resulted in WBA's equalizer. A header or a chest would have been a safer option but he opted for a high kick.

Could someone please teach him and Defoe the offside rule? Thanks.

that's the part where laziness or selfishness comes in. soldado is excellent in this regard, keeping himself onside sometimes at the expense of his own positioning so that the team can go on to attack. not sure why this excessive offside has been tolerated by spurs for the longest time. for a while I'd AVB had weeded it out.

Plus ça change... ](*,)

@OptaJoe: 277 - Since August 2006, Emmanuel Adebayor has been caught offside more than any other player in the Premier League. Creepy.
[tweet]395932562482135040[/tweet]
@OptaJoe: Jermain Defoe has been caught offside most in the last 10 seasons (365 times), followed by Anelka (346).
[tweet]6928024712[/tweet]

Thought he was immense against United. Worked his socks off, tracked back, won headers at the back for set pieces, but also did a good job holding the ball up, linking up play, running at defenders. And to top it off he finished his chance really well.

Hope the injury was a small one and the stretcher was just time wasting. We need him back on the pitch sooner rather than later.

Thought he was immense against United. Worked his socks off, tracked back, won headers at the back for set pieces, but also did a good job holding the ball up, linking up play, running at defenders. And to top it off he finished his chance really well.

Hope the injury was a small one and the stretcher was just time wasting. We need him back on the pitch sooner rather than later.

Thought he was amazing in the role where he drifts around and link up with midfield. He had a passing accuracy of 93% which is very rare for strikers given the little time and space they have.

Just a few weeks ago a new striker was IMO the main priority to get level with the top teams, however with his recent performances this is no longer the case. Unfortunately with Adebayor you never know when he hits a poor run of form but fingers crossed he can continue this level until may.

Thought he was amazing in the role where he drifts around and link up with midfield. He had a passing accuracy of 93% which is very rare for strikers given the little time and space they have.

Just a few weeks ago a new striker was IMO the main priority to get level with the top teams, however with his recent performances this is no longer the case. Unfortunately with Adebayor you never know when he hits a poor run of form but fingers crossed he can continue this level until may.

Imagine if Sherwood, the much maligned, dim new guy was the manager who, above Wenger, Mancini, Redkanpp and AVB, could get consistency out of Ade?

We can all dream...

What showed last night is what type of striker we should be targeting, nearest I have seen to that in playing deep and joining the defence into attack is Michu. Whatever has lit the torch paper under Adebayor these last 4-5 games needs to be bottled. I dunno, is he playing for a future elsewhere, playing for himself to prove something to AVB or simply he has got the message and is playing for the badge on his shirt. I really do not want to get sucked into loving this guy again, right now I am more than anything enjoying his defensive abilities more than his attacking. He looked great in the set pieces for us in defence, when he went off everyone seemed to go into panic mode.

As a person I don't think I will ever be convinced about Adebayor, but on the pitch maybe he is realising your along time dead when football stops.

What showed last night is what type of striker we should be targeting, nearest I have seen to that in playing deep and joining the defence into attack is Michu. Whatever has lit the torch paper under Adebayor these last 4-5 games needs to be bottled. I dunno, is he playing for a future elsewhere, playing for himself to prove something to AVB or simply he has got the message and is playing for the badge on his shirt. I really do not want to get sucked into loving this guy again, right now I am more than anything enjoying his defensive abilities more than his attacking. He looked great in the set pieces for us in defence, when he went off everyone seemed to go into panic mode.

As a person I don't think I will ever be convinced about Adebayor, but on the pitch maybe he is realising your along time dead when football stops.

I do feel this time he is playing well for a few reasons. Firstly he has a point to prove to AVB, and in turn all doubters. Secondly, he is the main focus of the attack. He hasn't had that anywhere else in his career (or at least his career in the Prem) Henry was ahead of him Arsenal, Tevez at Emirates Marketing Project. His ego will be getting massaged by Sherwood's attention.

But if it works, it works

I do feel this time he is playing well for a few reasons. Firstly he has a point to prove to AVB, and in turn all doubters. Secondly, he is the main focus of the attack. He hasn't had that anywhere else in his career (or at least his career in the Prem) Henry was ahead of him Arsenal, Tevez at Emirates Marketing Project. His ego will be getting massaged by Sherwood's attention.

But if it works, it works

Adebayor can really be very frustrating at times.

If he isn't arsed, he simply looks like dead weight.

But when he's in the mood, he's one of the finest strikers in the Premier League.

Let's all hope he remains fired-up for the remainder of the season.

Back