• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

Lucky to be on the pitch yesterday in place of Dempsey but it doesn't look like he realised it.

He hasn't been utterly dreadful but everything he does is just lacking a bit of self belief, he seems to finish in slow motion this season, so frustrating.

He's clearly going through a crisis of confidence (macarons cheering him off is absolutely disgusting and stupid IMO) and maybe the ACN will help rejuvenate him. I think confidence a lot of times comes from stability, and a lack of confidence can come from uncertainty. He hasn't known whether he was coming or going to the tournament this month, and that's a kind of instability that means you can't really focus. When everything is settled in your head, it's easier to concentrate. I wouldn't be surprised if once he comes back we see a better player.

Also, he seems to be a bit of an 'up and down' kind of person, not really balanced. For instance he's massively hyped up against Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project and that probably leads to down moments in other games, and in other times in his life in general. I find people who control their emotions aren't prone to these swings and the consequences that come from them. He was giving stick to Arsenal fans before the start of the season on Twitter as if he actually cares what they think and if the abuse meant something to him...I can't help feeling a more balanced person would let it go.

So we just need him to get that stability back in his life and I think we'll see a much better player. But I also can't help thinking he may not suit our squad even though he does seem to get on with our players. AVB seems to like balanced, consistent folk that can focus. Ade was much more of a Harry style player, capable of great things with an arm round the shoulder.

Hard to disagree with that...

P0155.png

... 10 Spurs players have a better average vital goal contribution per minutes played than Adebayor this season.

A truly shocking stat. Especially for a main striker in a successful side.

Lack of effort is unforgivable. I can forgive a player struggling for form or confidence, but yesterday's flat footed and lacklustre performance was awful.
When Dempsey was struggling earlier in the season and people were slating him, i don't believe anyone questioned his effort, because he is a professional.
We will only miss him whilst he's gone if Defoe and/or Dempsey pick up a knock, ideally Mr Levy will pull a striker out of the bag.

You seriously think he performed well last year? He missed ten sitters a clinical striker would have buried.

I totally agree. Like I said in summer - I think we brought him cos he was the 'cheaper' option and the more 'convenient' option. He has good all round play WHEN he can be fudged but at present he is playin like a fudgein pansy. I do disagree tho in that I thought he played fairly well last season but missed SO many chances - I still remember that Villa home game where he fudged up a couple of one on ones.

Yesterdays chance was a chance that a lot of strikers with any clinical quality would have scored. He was all over the place with that shot like falling over n brick. It was a good save but a striker should be scoring that.

You seriously think he performed well last year? He missed ten sitters a clinical striker would have buried.

he got into those positions though, he also helped us build attacks pretty well. most hold up players are not prolific scorers seeing as they are used as pivots for waves of attacks to overlap....

and he did have quite a few assists last season.

he wwas never a clinical guy...he was always going to be our hold up man

I totally agree. Like I said in summer - I think we brought him cos he was the 'cheaper' option and the more 'convenient' option. He has good all round play WHEN he can be fudged but at present he is playin like a fudgein pansy. I do disagree tho in that I thought he played fairly well last season but missed SO many chances - I still remember that Villa home game where he fudged up a couple of one on ones.

Yesterdays chance was a chance that a lot of strikers with any clinical quality would have scored. He was all over the place with that shot like falling over n brick. It was a good save but a striker should be scoring that.

at least you said it it was a good save...giving some kind of factor to goal keeping. and ALOT of strikers miss one on one opportunities ALL the time.

torres cant even get into those kind of positions anymore. let alone compose himself and dummy a defender to get open

It must be the loan jinx. Has any player ever done well for us after signing permanently from loan deal ? I remember Mido doing badly after signing for us.

He contributed to over 30 goals last season.

If that is not performing well then you seriously have unrealistic expectations about getting a striker in.

Last edited:

at least you said it it was a good save...giving some kind of factor to goal keeping. and ALOT of strikers miss one on one opportunities ALL the time.

torres cant even get into those kind of positions anymore. let alone compose himself and dummy a defender to get open

I acknowledge that ALOT of strikers miss one on on opportunities but NOT ALOT of them miss them as routine. Adebayor does and has done.

For me, adebayor kan stay in africa after the ACN.

After he has lost his touch, what can he offer? Shooting? Aerial threat? Work rate?

None of the above.

Had he scored what he SHOULD have scored last year...then we would have finished 3rd.

Wasted money and space

Lack of effort is unforgivable. I can forgive a player struggling for form or confidence, but yesterday's flat footed and lacklustre performance was awful.
When Dempsey was struggling earlier in the season and people were slating him, i don't believe anyone questioned his effort, because he is a professional.
We will only miss him whilst he's gone if Defoe and/or Dempsey pick up a knock, ideally Mr Levy will pull a striker out of the bag.

Interesting comparison. Some quotes from the Dempsey thread:

Awful awful player.

I hope he trips getting off the bus and falls on AVB

Quite simply not a "Spurs" player.

Maybe we can get our money back come january and sell him to Liverpool then invest that cash on someone else. I'm pretty sure Liverpool will still want him.

Goodbye Dempsey.
Dont let your spurs career hit your arse on the way out.
In language that you would understand: youre a wasteman.

are we allowed to boo him yet?
not directed at you mumorn but i do wonder why so many people take so long to reach the conclusion that a player is not good enough, think it was obvious with dempsey very early on.

Is toss. That is all

No direct quotes here about his effort, but I'm quite sure I was involved in a discussion about him and "going hiding" at some point.

Long story short though, "get rid" seemed to be the attitude.

A truly shocking stat. Especially for a main striker in a successful side.

Only really shocking if you're expecting consistency from strikers. Very few strikers in the world deliver goals consistently and I can't think of any we can realistically sign.

5-6 games without a goal and 9-10 games with a fairly poor return seems to happen to a lot of strikers from time to time. Ade has never been a clinical finisher so I don't really see why people are so surprised.

He contributed to over 30 goals last season.

If that is not performing well then you seriously have unrealistic expectations about getting a striker in.

His goal tally should have been at least 50% higher when the sitters he missed are taken into account, that isn't performing well nor is it an unrealistic expectation to expect a £170000 a week striker to bury sitters. For that sort of money I expect him to perform in front of goal with the same clinical touch as Henry, van Persie, van Nistleroy, Shearer and the like all demonstated and in RVP case still is.

Only really shocking if you're expecting consistency from strikers. Very few strikers in the world deliver goals consistently and I can't think of any we can realistically sign.

5-6 games without a goal and 9-10 games with a fairly poor return seems to happen to a lot of strikers from time to time. Ade has never been a clinical finisher so I don't really see why people are so surprised.

No, not only really shocking - just absolutely shocking. Let me re-itterate it for you so maybe you can grasp it a second time:

1169 minutes played this season
3 goals
0 assists

Average minute per goal assist - 390 (ie over 4.3 games) .

Plus he has missed a hatful of golden chances.

That statistic is just an absolute shocker. Especially for a main striker in a successful side. No qualification necessary. Full stop.

His goal tally should have been at least 50% higher when the sitters he missed are taken into account, that isn't performing well nor is it an unrealistic expectation to expect a £170000 a week striker to bury sitters. For that sort of money I expect him to perform in front of goal with the same clinical touch as Henry, van Persie, van Nistleroy, Shearer and the like all demonstated and in RVP case still is.

We bought him for £5m, and there is no way in hell we are paying him 170,000. Just because Emirates Marketing Project inflate a players wages doesn't mean they should suddenly be in that wage bracket.

THe Ade of last year was the difference between us finishing 4th and us finishing about 7th. He was quality. If he can regain that confidence and form he will be a key player for us in the run in.

We bought him for £5m, and there is no way in hell we are paying him 170,000. Just because Emirates Marketing Project inflate a players wages doesn't mean they should suddenly be in that wage bracket.

THe Ade of last year was the difference between us finishing 4th and us finishing about 7th. He was quality. If he can regain that confidence and form he will be a key player for us in the run in.

A big IF imo. He is just not applying himself this year. Maybe after the ACN he will come back rejuvinated. I hope so - but I just am not that optimistic.

In any event, we still need another striker.

A big IF imo. He is just not applying himself this year. Maybe after the ACN he will come back rejuvinated. I hope so - but I just am not that optimistic.

In any event, we still need another striker.

It was also a big IF that Dempsey would turn out to regain his confidence/form. Look just how that turned out.

Back