• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

He has always been an erratic finisher but has good hold up and link play. I still think he has done well for us, ran the channels well today etc

The thing is imo i'm not seeing a lot of that. especially from someone with immense physical dimensions

Arsenal fans said it, City fans said it - once he gets house warm and a nice soft contract, his form will drop, his attitude will change and he will perform totally as he pleases on that particular day. We were warned.

Worryingly that looks the case so far

How about giving him, as a Spurs player, the benefit of the doubt?

Because of his injuries he's only actually started around 7 league matches this season in stops and starts because of injuries and the suspension, far from unheard of for strikers to go without a goal for that amount of time. Actually I think you would struggle to find any striker in the world who doesn't have dry spells like that apart from the absolute very best. And he's even scored once in those games.

I don't see how you guys can blame his attitude, he keeps running, keeps trying and keeps his head up and seems to be in a good mood and happy. The other lads also seem very happy to be playing alongside of him, hugs, smiles and celebrations all round from what I can see.

There were similar speculations when he was injured and missed a few EL matches, that stopped when he got fit and started in the EL for us. Now this.

just looks like he's not bothered really. Today he just jogged around a bit, didn't hold up play particularly well, and gave the ball away a fair few times. It's sad because when he's up for it, he can put in some unplayable performances. I just question his effort, which is pathetic because that should be the last thing lacking with someone of his ability.

Everyone was moan about his performance at Villa, but I thought he stretched their backline and allowed Defoe and Bale to do the rest

Fair enough if those are his instructions, but I don't think we need a player of Ade's abilities (or wages) to do that if that is what he brings to the party. I don't think his link up play is that good either. He is too slow on decisions, needs too many touches for someone as good on the ball as he is, passes too much backwards unnecessarily and generally slows down our attack instead of contributing to it. A bit like Robbie Keane did at the end.

He is a good player though, and would absolutely flourish being the kingpin in a "lesser" team. Question is, can a team pushing for CL participation afford to rely on a player who mostly plays for himself and seldom has a remotely continously good period of form?

Because of his injuries he's only actually started around 7 league matches this season in stops and starts because of injuries and the suspension, far from unheard of for strikers to go without a goal for that amount of time. Actually I think you would struggle to find any striker in the world who doesn't have dry spells like that apart from the absolute very best. And he's even scored once in those games.

I don't see how you guys can blame his attitude, he keeps running, keeps trying and keeps his head up and seems to be in a good mood and happy. The other lads also seem very happy to be playing alongside of him, hugs, smiles and celebrations all round from what I can see.

There were similar speculations when he was injured and missed a few EL matches, that stopped when he got fit and started in the EL for us. Now this.

Even if we give him a chance and forget his play at other clubs, that won't change the fact that he's a bad finisher and he has days where he looks like he can't be bothered.

I said months ago that he doesnt get on with Avb, probably upset to be on the bench when he came back from injury but that doesnt explain everything.

He looks half as fit as last season. Thats the main problem. Why is that, I dont know.

Because of that physical problem, he is now totally out of confidence. Team mates are not even playing with him..

just looks like he's not bothered really. Today he just jogged around a bit, didn't hold up play particularly well, and gave the ball away a fair few times. It's sad because when he's up for it, he can put in some unplayable performances. I just question his effort, which is pathetic because that should be the last thing lacking with someone of his ability.

He just jogged around a bit? Today?

Wow how I wish there were distance covered stats around somewhere public to settle these kinds of discussions.

He's been an important part of our very good pressing play in recent matches, seems to me that he's doing his job very well when the opponents have the ball. He is constantly working the channels and popping up wide (especially on the left), he is also dropping deep at times to receive the ball. He is also pretty good at getting himself into the box when needed.

Had he scored 2-3 more goals this season I don't think many people would be questioning his effort.

I would and I have, I was thrilled when he first joined, and over the moon over his first games for us. But slowly the feeling kept creeping in that he wasn't a Spurs player, just a football player. I mean, as long as you show effort and has a minimum of skillset, I don't demand much. But when you (as I've said I might misread) clearly show that you aren't too bothered about how you ply your trade, still demanding ridiculous wages but time and time again shows with your whole body that you don't care, I'm not impressed. This is nothing new, I've made this assumption at this time last season.

Remember how Ian Walker got slated for laughing off silly goals, well Ade is worse in my book. Of course he moves around and is included in the game somehow, but it shows that he isn't too bothered about how things are going along. Once again, this isn't about the game today or even this season, it's about his whole spell for us. In my opinion, of course.

Even if we give him a chance and forget his play at other clubs, that won't change the fact that he's a bad finisher and he has days where he looks like he can't be bothered.

I think bad finisher is a bit harsh, he's not a top class finisher for sure though, I accept that. We're not really a truly top class club and top class strikers aren't lining up to sign for us. I would be delighted to see us sign someoen better than him, just like I would be delighted to see us sign someone better than any of our current first choice players.

What games this season do you think he's looked like he can't be bothered?

I thought it was telling that today when AVB was subbing one of the strikers to make sure we stayed solid defensively he subbed Defoe. Would he really have done that if Ade was showing the bad attitude and workrate people are attributing him with?

No confidence. He is a confidence player. Redknapp commented last year on him that he's very down on myself and needs an arm round his shoulder.

I think bad finisher is a bit harsh, he's not a top class finisher for sure though, I accept that. We're not really a truly top class club and top class strikers aren't lining up to sign for us. I would be delighted to see us sign someoen better than him, just like I would be delighted to see us sign someone better than any of our current first choice players.

What games this season do you think he's looked like he can't be bothered?

I thought it was telling that today when AVB was subbing one of the strikers to make sure we stayed solid defensively he subbed Defoe. Would he really have done that if Ade was showing the bad attitude and workrate people are attributing him with?

Sadly you may be right. But I think we could possibly get Llorente or Huntelaar if we went for them. We should at least try to.

I would have left Defoe on and taken Ade off, but part of me thinks AVB did because he knows Ade is desperate for a goal.

As for his poor work rate, today for a start. He has some games where he looks up for it, some where he is too up for it see Arsenal away and some where he's kind of in between.

Wow how I wish there were distance covered stats around somewhere public to settle these kinds of discussions.

He's been an important part of our very good pressing play in recent matches, seems to me that he's doing his job very well when the opponents have the ball. He is constantly working the channels and popping up wide (especially on the left), he is also dropping deep at times to receive the ball. He is also pretty good at getting himself into the box when needed.

Had he scored 2-3 more goals this season I don't think many people would be questioning his effort.

You really have to look at the whole picture though. He hasn't scored those 2-3 goals (should have scored 2 today alone) and isn't playing up to his extremely high standards in regards to link-up play and defensive pressure. We all know he's not the clinical finisher Defoe is, but he has the potential to offer so much more. The only reason I question his effort is because we've seen soooo much more out of him. He has the ability to absolutely boss games. I just don't think we're getting 100 percent from him every time.

I would and I have, I was thrilled when he first joined, and over the moon over his first games for us. But slowly the feeling kept creeping in that he wasn't a Spurs player, just a football player. I mean, as long as you show effort and has a minimum of skillset, I don't demand much. But when you (as I've said I might misread) clearly show that you aren't too bothered about how you ply your trade, still demanding ridiculous wages but time and time again shows with your whole body that you don't care, I'm not impressed. This is nothing new, I've made this assumption at this time last season.

Remember how Ian Walker got slated for laughing off silly goals, well Ade is worse in my book. Of course he moves around and is included in the game somehow, but it shows that he isn't too bothered about how things are going along. Once again, this isn't about the game today or even this season, it's about his whole spell for us. In my opinion, of course.

I think you overrate your own ability to read body language, I also think you overestimate how much impact this percevied attitude problem has on performance. Finally I think you underestimate how many of our players are "just football players".

We have seen varying performances from just about all our players.

Sadly you may be right. But I think we could possibly get Llorente or Huntelaar if we went for them. We should at least try to.

I would have left Defoe on and taken Ade off, but part of me thinks AVB did because he knows Ade is desperate for a goal.

As for his poor work rate, today for a start. He has some games where he looks up for it, some where he is too up for it see Arsenal away and some where he's kind of in between.

Huntelaar just signed a new contract. We might get Llorent and I think we might be in for him. I agree that we should try, that's a completely different issue though.

Once again I would like to see some distance covered stats as we've obviously seen the same game in completely different ways.

Was definitely involved today, a matter of inches and we would be praising him for his 2 goals ...

Still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, glad to see he looked as effective, if not more with Duece, so we have options.

You really have to look at the whole picture though. He hasn't scored those 2-3 goals (should have scored 2 today alone) and isn't playing up to his extremely high standards in regards to link-up play and defensive pressure. We all know he's not the clinical finisher Defoe is, but he has the potential to offer so much more. The only reason I question his effort is because we've seen soooo much more out of him. He has the ability to absolutely boss games. I just don't think we're getting 100 percent from him every time.

Like I said above, we've seen every single player vary in performance, this goes for every player in the world actually. Seemingly because of his running style or body language this gets written down to attitude and effort for Adebayor while for players like Defoe or Parker varying performance is explained some other way. I see it differently.

Like I said above, we've seen every single player vary in performance, this goes for every player in the world actually. Seemingly because of his running style or body language this gets written down to attitude and effort for Adebayor while for players like Defoe or Parker varying performance is explained some other way. I see it differently.

You dont exactly have to look at running style or body language to tell if a player is jogging around out there.

And its understandable to have good and bad performances technically, they're not machines out there, but effort (holding off defenders, working to get to the ball first, going in for headers, going in strong for 50-50s, and actually working hard to win the ball back after losing it) should never be lacking. It's a shame too because Ade has the physical gifts to dominate all those pointed out above.

I don't think he tries hard. That's my biggest issue. When he puts the effort in he can be immense. Just look at city and arse away fro examples of what he can do.

He is still running lots every game (I think). Wish stats companies didn't keep running stats for professional usage, but you always see Ade peeling off to the wing and dropping deep. What evidence is there for him not trying hard? I think it's a myth perpetuated by his reputation more than anything he actually does on the pitch.

Haha didn't see this post when I made mine, you're absolutely spot on mate.

Back