• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Emirates Marketing Project Vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR *** OMT

Has this excellent article been posted elsewhere on this site?

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/10/21/talking-thfc-tactics-man-city-dismantled-sorry-spurs/

It is well worth a read, it highlights our 4141 formation against City
It highlights our narrow defence (to reduce gaps for Aguero and Silva to exploit) which led to Milner and Navas having space.
It highlights what infuriated me during the penalty Aguero missed, all of our players were standing on their heels, hands on hips, apart from Rose and Dier.

man-city-penalty.png

It is a good article

Boom:
With the 2nd best Goalkeeper in the world in Hugo Lloris, with the score still at only 2-1, having conceded an idiotic penalty…6 Spurs players along the edge of the box have their hands on their hips! They’ve already accepted that Sergio Aguero has scored (which he didn’t!).

Lloris does brilliantly to parry away Aguero’s initial attempt and none of those Spurs players could care less. Even after the initial shot was saved, Aguero had all the time in the world to leap 5 feet into the air and strike an unchallenged acrobatic shot which thankfully went over the bar. There is no belief, no fight, and no heart in those Spurs players. They all stood on the edge of the box, watching… not a single one of them took up a good starting position to sprint into the box to clear away the second ball. None of them had any faith either that their goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, could stop Aguero from scoring.

Boom
Though for me the game was over after Bobby’s miserable penalty and we forsook trying to pass through City’s midfield by bringing on the brainless pairing of Dembele and Townsend. I call them brainless because they’ve scored 3 Premier League goals between them in 2 seasons amongst thousands of examples of wayward shooting, pointless dribbling and a severe lack of intelligent passing.

Has this excellent article been posted elsewhere on this site?

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/10/21/talking-thfc-tactics-man-city-dismantled-sorry-spurs/

It is well worth a read, it highlights our 4141 formation against City
It highlights our narrow defence (to reduce gaps for Aguero and Silva to exploit) which led to Milner and Navas having space.
It highlights what infuriated me during the penalty Aguero missed, all of our players were standing on their heels, hands on hips, apart from Rose and Dier.

man-city-penalty.png

The article does stray into hyperbole a bit but I agree on the two points you have highlighted, and coincidentally I made similar observations in the match thread. The City wingers and overlapping full backs outnumbered our full backs all game. The support for Rose and Dier was rare or late, and the Spurs fullbacks starting positions was narrow giving City the option to fire long passes to their wingers all game. Those passing diagrams show how often. It gave City an immediate foothold in our final third rather easily.

The lack of follow up on the penalty by our players was a joke. I know sometimes these images can mislead, but the hands on hip image in this case tells it exactly how it was. I scared my son with the choice comments I made right after that peno!!!

I disagree with the article on Dembele and Townsend both who showed good energy and fight at least, and I could see the managers thinking in bringing those two on in particular. That fight was something which had deserted Eirksen, Chadli and a deflated Soldado for the last 15-20mins or so.

Thanks RorrschahachcchRawsack

Thinking about it again and to be fair to our stressed players, at 2-1 they were right to give up and just stand around, hands on hips. After all, why try when you might fail?

i don't think the formation is at fault, but when attacking we don't get the balance of risking too much forwards.

for one of the goals capoue went too far forward, he should not have done that unless he was sure that mason who was mostly further ahead of him would be covering him.

when we're pushing forwards we shouldn't be committing both full backs in attack, one of them must be on the halfway line ready to run back to help out. this means covering for someone who is covering for someone who is on his way to get the attacker with the ball. we didn't have that chainlink defence understanding going on.

navas and aguerro will just respond to the formation we set up, and its up to the players to counteract as a team.

Disagree with that article. The players fought back from an early goal after missing a couple of good chances of their own. After equalising they fall behind from a dodgy pen and still don't give up and were unlucky not to equalise. Our penalty miss and their 3rd were so close together it's difficult to tell which was the cause of the heads going down. His frustration is well merited, it's a very spurs thing to do, have one of your best games against the champions and still get pumped!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Thanks RorrschahachcchRawsack

Thinking about it again and to be fair to our stressed players, at 2-1 they were right to give up and just stand around, hands on hips. After all, why try when you might fail?
That's like something Homer Simpson would say :)

Back