• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Emirates Marketing Project Vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR *** OMT

Interesting idea to swap Dier and Kaboul around.

After Kaboul had given a penalty away against Silva, Dier was clearly talking to him and saying "I was right there, why did you do it, I was just waiting in his path, there was no need, if you go in like that for the ball you have to reach out full steam and get the ball, you are une baguette" etc.

Pretty much all of City's play came down Dier's side on Saturday, so I am not sure that he is the answer at this stage.

He's been injured for the last two years and has understandably taken a while to find his feet.

He's been back for a while now Milo, I don't think we can honestly excuse him any more the reason you mentioned.

EDIT: He made ****ups before the injury too and still is now.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of City's play came down Dier's side on Saturday, so I am not sure that he is the answer at this stage.

Agreed.

Dier is obviously talented, but I'm not sure we should keep piling the pressure on him and rely too heavily on him at this stage. I thought it was a solid decision by Poch to go for Naughton at right back up until his injury.

Dier has made several mistakes this season too, doesn't get highlighted as much as Kaboul's mistakes though. Just look at the first goal. Had that been Kaboul first failing to get closer to Aguero to provide cover for the first defender for the rather obvious cut in and shoot move, then turning his side to the ball instead of powering in for a proper block I think it would have gotten a lot more attention.

Two out of Fazio, Kaboul and Vertonghen for me. Fazio did well up until the red card situation against City I thought, including when he got isolated up against Navas. Has looked useful in the EL too and after his suspension I would like to see him get a run of games alongside Kaboul or Vertonghen.

He's been back for a while now Milo, I don't think we can honestly excuse him any more the reason you mentioned.

He made 14 appearances in two years and suffered 2 serious injuries in that time. It is not uncommon for players who spend a long time out to take a while to recover their form and regain their confidence.

Less about excusing him and more about if we can expect him to keep improving or not.

Absolutely. It is also worth remembering that recovering form is not a constant. There will be good and bad days even if the overall trend is upwards.

He made 14 appearances in two years and suffered 2 serious injuries in that time. It is not uncommon for players who spend a long time out to take a while to recover their form and regain their confidence.

Well he's made 21 appearances in the league alone since the injury. Like I said before, he was making mistakes long before the injury, he only really looked good playing alongside King, a common theme amongst our centre halves.

Less about excusing him and more about if we can expect him to keep improving or not.

I don't think the injury has anything to do with the mistakes he makes or will possibly make in the future. He looks fit from the looks of it, doesn't look particularly slow. Poor decision making doesn't have much to do with injuries.

Well he's made 21 appearances in the league alone since the injury. Like I said before, he was making mistakes long before the injury, he only really looked good playing alongside King, a common theme amongst our centre halves.

How many of those 21 appearances have been in a settled team?

I've always thought that it was more of a case of him looking poor alongside Dawson than just great alongside Ledley (everybody looks better alongside King). Both Dawson and Kaboul look very uncomfortable when played on the left of defence and it was Kaboul who was normally moved left to accommodate Daws.

This season is his first extended run since his injuries started, and the first time he's looked fit since his injuries started.

He also played well alongside Gallas I thought.

How many of those 21 appearances have been in a settled team?

I've always thought that it was more of a case of him looking poor alongside Dawson than just great alongside Ledley (everybody looks better alongside King). Both Dawson and Kaboul look very uncomfortable when played on the left of defence and it was Kaboul who was normally moved left to accommodate Daws.

Agreed. Look at the back 4 and deep midfield 2 against Emirates Marketing Project. Dier, Fazio, Rose, Mason and Capoue to surround him. Not exactly a settled team and whilst still implementing a new style under Poch too.

It didn't really. A awful lot came down Roses's flank too. They targeted both fullbacks all game and though they didn't play badly they were isolated and overworked.

Kabouls best year with us was when he was partnered alongside Gallas. Basically when he had experience next to him.

Kabouls best year with us was when he was partnered alongside Gallas. Basically when he had experience next to him.

It was also a partnership where he was played on the right which is where he is far stronger

Would be lovely if Fazio or Verts could have a similar effect on Kaboul.

But Kaboul is older than them and supposed to be our captain. He shouldn't need leading and experience when that's exactly what he is supposed to offer to who ever partners him.

But Kaboul is older than them and supposed to be our captain. He shouldn't need leading and experience when that's exactly what he is supposed to offer to who ever partners him.

Being a leader and organising the back 4 are two different things.

Kaboul plays with heart but he can go from looking like a world beater one week to a drunken sunday morning player the next...

I did read that he was made captain because Poch asked the players who they thought/wanted....

If so, this is absolutely ridiculous.. I have run teams and when I appointed the captain it was because I wanted him to lead the team on the pitch the way I wanted and so he became part of the management team. His first loyalty was to me and team... By doing it this way Kaboul will know he has the support of the players and that will undermine the manager's authority. Just crazy.

Would Ferguson have done it this way? Not in a million years.

was a world beater only in the arsenal game was he perpetually on the edge of the 6 yard box reacting to incoming shots.

give him a little more space to own and he gets confused.

Being a leader and organising the back 4 are two different things.

Agreed. And getting older doesn't automatically make you good at organizing at the back.

Kaboul plays with heart but he can go from looking like a world beater one week to a drunken sunday morning player the next...

I did read that he was made captain because Poch asked the players who they thought/wanted....

If so, this is absolutely ridiculous.. I have run teams and when I appointed the captain it was because I wanted him to lead the team on the pitch the way I wanted and so he became part of the management team. His first loyalty was to me and team... By doing it this way Kaboul will know he has the support of the players and that will undermine the manager's authority. Just crazy.

Would Ferguson have done it this way? Not in a million years.

You're reading way too much into unconfirmed reports.

Poch reportedly asked at least some players who they wanted as their captain and looked at how the players reacted during the early weeks/months of his time in charge to see who responded well and helped others to the same. He used information from the players about who they wanted. That's not the same as making him captain because the players wanted him. He used that as one factor in his decision making.

There was an article floating around on the importance of the players trusting their captain to look out for them, seemed pretty important.

daws was captain whence it was widely known that he would be sold. since then i've not thought much about the tottenham captain... we had the club captain (king) and pitch captain (daws, defoe to speak to the refs) btu I don't think we have a in-game leader type captain other than the coach himself.

i maybe cynical but when i see our newly installed captains, i get the sense that they will go the way of daws. (verts bucks the trend i know, but its possible he just didn't want it)

Back