• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Royal is a mental monster, the guy's head never drops

Coild not agree more, and when you think that he has had to endure boos and calls when he has come off from games ( by the braindeads in the crowd) you have to admire his bottle.

Most definitely agree with both of you.

Several reports of a great work rate off the pitch, investing in his own development. Obviously tries his very hardest every time he's on the pitch.

Sometimes I think "rewarding" that with game time, setting that as the explicit or implicit standard within the club. That it doesn't matter that you're a "better player" unless you also do the hard work consistently can be a very good thing long term.

Of course the players that do that are more likely to improve over time. So that in itself is a good reason to trust those players more. But it can also help set a standard that others may be influenced to reach for.

Personally I don't think a large proportion of fans think Royal is poor full-stop. I think everyone just thinks he's not good enough in the final third to be a wing-back, and everyone's been frustrated by Conte playing him there more than Doherty and Spence. I'd be fine with him as a full-back or right CB in the three.

Personally I don't think a large proportion of fans think Royal is poor full-stop. I think everyone just thinks he's not good enough in the final third to be a wing-back, and everyone's been frustrated by Conte playing him there more than Doherty and Spence. I'd be fine with him as a full-back or right CB in the three.

I think that is a fair comment because its a completely new way of playing for him, however i think he has worked at that side of his game and the last couple of games has shown that. Some have to remember he is only 24 and if he keeps showing the determination to work at that side of his game then he could be a very good player for us.

I've said all along that he is good at everything other than his final delivery into the box. That delivery can also be worked on, maybe with him just concentrating on getting balls into good areas as opposed to precision passes/crosses trying to pick out a specific player. With Kulusevski in front of him Royal's final ball weakness doesn't tend to be exposed as much anyway.

I think our crowd will probably move onto Sessegnon as the next young player who's career they want to destroy before the player has got anywhere near their peak. That will be a shame as there is no reason why he can't become one of the best attacking left backs in the premier league.

I've seen before games this sesson Royal in the prematch warm up do nothing but hit balls over in to the box - it's obviously something being worked on but in game he doesn't do it and not sure how much you can expect someone get over what appears to be a mental block - technique seems fine

I feel like I'm going against the grain a bit here but I didn't really see anything from Royale's performance on Sunday that we haven't seen before. He is a good defender, we surely all know this? The complaints he gets are from an offensive standpoint. That wasn't any different on Sunday.

I just feel when we next play a team whom we have more of the ball than and Royale plays this same way of getting into great attacking positions but being unwilling to cross the ball much of the same boos and complaints will happen again.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I feel like I'm going against the grain a bit here but I didn't really see anything from Royale's performance on Sunday that we haven't seen before. He is a good defender, we surely all know this? The complaints he gets are from an offensive standpoint. That wasn't any different on Sunday.

I just feel when we next play a team whom we have more of the ball than and Royale plays this same way of getting into great attacking positions but being unwilling to cross the ball much of the same boos and complaints will happen again.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
It was something with the attitude and determination that was turned up to eleven. Not only him, but it was very visible with him. They were doing fist and chest bumps after tackles, blocks and interceptions. It was magnificent!

The fact the he managed to wind up Grealish, just made it sweeter!

I've seen before games this sesson Royal in the prematch warm up do nothing but hit balls over in to the box - it's obviously something being worked on but in game he doesn't do it and not sure how much you can expect someone get over what appears to be a mental block - technique seems fine

Yep, every pre-game he practices with a separate member of coaching staff two things, putting crosses in and beating his man.

The cross Harry fluffed was fine, it's just got to become instinct for him, will happen if he continues to work on it.

Yep, every pre-game he practices with a separate member of coaching staff two things, putting crosses in and beating his man.

The cross Harry fluffed was fine, it's just got to become instinct for him, will happen if he continues to work on it.
Not going to matches, that's something I didn't know. Good for him.

Like many others, I have no problem with Royal, it's just that (until now, at least) he hasn't offered enough attacking threat. Much better on Sunday, however -- that ball which Kane fluffed was pretty much perfect and Kane should have done much better. He had the space to take a touch and line up a shot, but instead he went for the spectacular. On a day when he became our record goalscorer, I'll allow him that!

What have happened to Royal? Immense last two games, if he can continue to develop he will be a great player. Our left side seems like the weak side now with Davies/langlet - Sess/Peresic. A left centre back and upgrade on Sessegnon in the summer must be priority one!
Three things:
1. Time training the offensive side of his game.
2. Romero.
3. Kulusevski.

TBH, I think any RWB/RB playing behind Kulu will do better. Such an intelligent player and vital to our team now that he's fit again.

I thought the better option in that situation was to play a through-ball to Kulu, but the cross to Harry was very good. Being able to do both will keep defenders second-guessing him.

Three things:
1. Time training the offensive side of his game.
2. Romero.
3. Kulusevski.

TBH, I think any RWB/RB playing behind Kulu will do better. Such an intelligent player and vital to our team now that he's fit again.

I'm not sure, I actually think the one upside to Royal's not great offensive instincts is he's constantly looking for Kulu, if he has any set of options and pass to Kulu is one, he'll pick that. Something I don't think Doherty did enough (not picking on him, but Royal also makes himself available, finds space more than any of our other WBs). The new fit inside (and leave Kulu wide) is also an interesting ploy tactically (again, unlike Doherty he's not looking to cut inside to shoot, he's just making better use of space)

Not going to matches, that's something I didn't know. Good for him.

Like many others, I have no problem with Royal, it's just that (until now, at least) he hasn't offered enough attacking threat. Much better on Sunday, however -- that ball which Kane fluffed was pretty much perfect and Kane should have done much better. He had the space to take a touch and line up a shot, but instead he went for the spectacular. On a day when he became our record goalscorer, I'll allow him that!

Yep, every game

I'm not sure, I actually think the one upside to Royal's not great offensive instincts is he's constantly looking for Kulu, if he has any set of options and pass to Kulu is one, he'll pick that. Something I don't think Doherty did enough (not picking on him, but Royal also makes himself available, finds space more than any of our other WBs). The new fit inside (and leave Kulu wide) is also an interesting ploy tactically (again, unlike Doherty he's not looking to cut inside to shoot, he's just making better use of space)
Like a certain Croatian playing behind Aaron Lennon, perhaps? ;-)

Back