• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

I think both of you guys need to give less of a sh*t about things, in a good way though!!!
I.e. if you get hit by a bus tomorrow and need 2 weeks off work to recover, the world will keep spinning, all of your projects will continue onwards, other people will find solutions and get things done. They won't be done right or perfectly, but they will happen.

You are not superman.
You are playing the role of 'hero' saving the day but you need to realise that is not beneficial for anyone long term.
Don't be a hero, don't work too hard. The company could fold or downturn or lay you off at any moment for no good reason. Just do a job to a decent standard and go home.
There is ALWAYS more that can be done. You can ALWAYS stay late and do more.
I did it myself for 20 years and got lots of promotions and money but really, looking back I should have held back a bit for my own sanity / relaxation / enjoyment rather than being the hero.

As MarkySimmo says above, he just does a job from 8-4 and stops.

My boss always says to me, if anyone is working later than 5PM, what the hell are they playing at, they should be delegating or getting resource or working more efficiently or SOMETHING to get the job done by 5, or just leave it til tomorrow.

Nobody outside of your tiny bubble cares. Before you were born and after you die, everything will still be there, chugging away.

I suffered from the same stress overnight, worrying what MIGHT go wrong and dealing with 1000 issues per day, but looking back, the company were using me and I was doing too much.
100% this. I walked away from a top job in a tech company - bleeding edge, high profile position, etc - because of the stress. Halved my wages and my stress levels and never looked back. Time became more important to me than money.

Does anyone else get stressed out by work and get anxious over it? I dread starting work most mornings as I’m worried about what emails I might have received overnight or about something I might have done wrong. That’s the same whether I WFH or go into the office. I’m a project manager, it pays pretty well and PM’s are always in demand but I do wonder if I would be happier in a less stressful, less high-pressure job but I would have to weigh it up against the possibility of taking a lower paid job and having less disposable income and less earning/saving potential. I do find it’s worse in the mornings and I get less stressed as the day/week goes on.

Always. 9-17 work is the devil. No wonder people are crumbling all over the place. Oh well! Time to do something about it. :p

Sounds all to familiar.
My problem is that I worry about issues that I can't control.
I spend at least 50%, of my time sorting out everyone else problems or fixing their mistakes. I'm very good at it.
My position in the company is unique and no one totally understands what I do or how I do it, so no one can help me.
It's a lot responsibility and pressure that is really starting to have an effect on me.
I've got six and a half years to retirement and I'm literally counting down the weeks.

fudge man. You're going to go under unless you pull the emergency brakes. You're on a highway to hell going on like this. Seriously. Go see a psychiatric and ask for a sick leave for at least a couple of months. Then send me a pm why don't you, I'm gonna need you in my company. ;)

Had my formal ADHD assessment today
I have been diagnosed with it am working out whether to go down the medication or CBT therapy route

100% this. I walked away from a top job in a tech company - bleeding edge, high profile position, etc - because of the stress. Halved my wages and my stress levels and never looked back. Time became more important to me than money.

Ditto. Stepped back a year ago from being Assistant Head in a school. Feel so much better and have a decent work/life balance now. Have started to actually enjoy teaching again. Should have done it a couple of years earlier.

I’ve been through a long period of anxiety, ie years. It’s been compounded by working from home for decades, apart from customer visits. the visits became more uncomfortable and I went into avoidance, which only makes it worse. I masked it in the evening by having 2 or 3 pints every night at home.
Went on holiday in July and when I came back my anxiety was through the roof. Literally had to get out of supermarkets real quick/the gym, anywhere where I felt trapped. Was at rock bottom about 10 days ago and went to the Docs. He prescribed me Setraline. I didn’t take it for a few days as was apprehensive. I DM’d someone on here who encouraged me to try it based on their experiences (massive thanks to him, he knows who he is) I’m 6 days in and noticing the benefits, even though it’s meant to take 3-4 weeks to fully kick in.
I tried things like Chamile tea etc, which helped when things were mild but I was beyond that when I went to the docs.

Had my formal ADHD assessment today
I have been diagnosed with it am working out whether to go down the medication or CBT therapy route

Lobotomy :)

Still quite a bit of debate around adhd. It used to only exist in the west coast of the US. But it is spreading! I wouldn't medicate for it, but might find some value in talking with people about how you work/live etc. You are also probably eligable for the access to work scheme now - as is anyone with a diagnosed mental health condition.

I’ve been through a long period of anxiety, ie years. It’s been compounded by working from home for decades, apart from customer visits. the visits became more uncomfortable and I went into avoidance, which only makes it worse. I masked it in the evening by having 2 or 3 pints every night at home.
Went on holiday in July and when I came back my anxiety was through the roof. Literally had to get out of supermarkets real quick/the gym, anywhere where I felt trapped. Was at rock bottom about 10 days ago and went to the Docs. He prescribed me Setraline. I didn’t take it for a few days as was apprehensive. I DM’d someone on here who encouraged me to try it based on their experiences (massive thanks to him, he knows who he is) I’m 6 days in and noticing the benefits, even though it’s meant to take 3-4 weeks to fully kick in.
I tried things like Chamile tea etc, which helped when things were mild but I was beyond that when I went to the docs.

Really glad to hear that you took action and that it’s helping!

Still quite a bit of debate around adhd. It used to only exist in the west coast of the US. But it is spreading! I wouldn't medicate for it, but might find some value in talking with people about how you work/live etc. You are also probably eligable for the access to work scheme now - as is anyone with a diagnosed mental health condition.

Access to work is an interesting one. A lot of the mental health organizations seem to be focused on getting people back to "work", but what if it is work in it's current form that is causing the mental health problems? It's a never ending cycle of going to work, the work making you unwell, taking a break, going to work etc

There's also the massive issue of diagnosis in mental health, if you look at an x-ray of a broken bone every competent practitioner will asses that the bone is broken. Mental health being based on actions / behaviors / emotions means that it's subjective and two experienced mental health professionals will see one thing differently.

I can't find it to link it as I cba but I saw an article on the beeb where a lot of the private diagnostician companies would effectively give you the diagnosis what you wanted if you paid the right money.

Without wanting to sound too @diasuk (or whatever his username is, maybe if we could just improve everyone's lives as one rather than trying to normalize everything being brick but tolerable with the right level of medication...Once you're on it, if there's ever an issue they'll just up the dosage.

I've been incarcerated in the loony bin for a month now. Finally they've moved me on. My psychopath ex of almost 14 years have moved out finally, she was cheating on me all those years haha, and I thought we were a good couple. fudge it. At least I'm not living with a lie anymore, but getting out and home feels a bit lonely. Thankfully I've got tons of friends supporting me. Had my first real manic episode (I've been diagnosed bipolar, but have only ever been depressed), holy crap I've been writing a lot of stuff. I still stand by the philosophy and politics, but I wrote a lot of personal stuff as well that shouldn't have been published obviously, but i doubt anyone really read it anyways. Anyways. Good to be back at GG. I know a lot of you think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. But just trying to build up my life from scratch now. 0 cash in my account. Still hoping to make money from my art, but no one seems interested. Oh well. The past year has been utterly insane, and I've documented it all, so hopefully I can get a sort of sick leave for a few months. I'm honestly just eager to start a new life without liars in my life. So although I'm at rock bottom right now, it can only go one way from here I hope! Up and at them! And feeling so much love from the lovely team we have now. We're gonna be fighting for the title this season I reckon! :)

I've been incarcerated in the loony bin for a month now. Finally they've moved me on. My psychopath ex of almost 14 years have moved out finally, she was cheating on me all those years haha, and I thought we were a good couple. fudge it. At least I'm not living with a lie anymore, but getting out and home feels a bit lonely. Thankfully I've got tons of friends supporting me. Had my first real manic episode, holy crap I've been writing a lot of stuff. I still stand by the philosophy and politics, but I wrote a lot of personal stuff as well that shouldn't have been published obviously, but i doubt anyone really read it anyways. Anyways. Good to be back at GG. I know a lot of you think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. But just trying to build up my life from scratch now. 0 cash in my account. Still hoping to make money from my art, but no one seems interested. Oh well. The past year has been utterly insane, and I've documented it all, so hopefully I can get a sort of sick leave for a few months. I'm honestly just eager to start a new life without liars in my life. So although I'm at rock bottom right now, it can only go one way from here I hope! Up and at them! And feeling so much love from the lovely team we have now. We're gonna be fighting for the title this season I reckon! :)

Good luck mate, onwards and upwards. Plenty of positives in there and a new chapter begins !

I've been incarcerated in the loony bin for a month now. Finally they've moved me on. My psychopath ex of almost 14 years have moved out finally, she was cheating on me all those years haha, and I thought we were a good couple. fudge it. At least I'm not living with a lie anymore, but getting out and home feels a bit lonely. Thankfully I've got tons of friends supporting me. Had my first real manic episode (I've been diagnosed bipolar, but have only ever been depressed), holy crap I've been writing a lot of stuff. I still stand by the philosophy and politics, but I wrote a lot of personal stuff as well that shouldn't have been published obviously, but i doubt anyone really read it anyways. Anyways. Good to be back at GG. I know a lot of you think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. But just trying to build up my life from scratch now. 0 cash in my account. Still hoping to make money from my art, but no one seems interested. Oh well. The past year has been utterly insane, and I've documented it all, so hopefully I can get a sort of sick leave for a few months. I'm honestly just eager to start a new life without liars in my life. So although I'm at rock bottom right now, it can only go one way from here I hope! Up and at them! And feeling so much love from the lovely team we have now. We're gonna be fighting for the title this season I reckon! :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate ( been there done that), the great Spike said " is it sane to be mad or is it mad to be sane" he also said that "at times it is better to be at the bottom of the ladder then the top, at the top you can only go down, if you are at he bottom of the ladder you can only go up" . It worked for me.

From your writing, seems you are extremely intelligent and capable, when focused on the right things.

It is, indeed, a growing mental health issue. I think there are legitimate reasons for that being the case. My daughter has a double diagnosis of BPD and ADHD. Her docs believe that the BPD might've been a mis-diagnosis and that the ADHD is more on point. All I can say is after many years of therapy, and some meds, the distances between several mental health disorders become 'ven diagram'esque. Depression and anxiety (from what I can see) underscore many of them. @markysimmo very best of luck in navigating the path which works for you, whatever that might entail.

Anyone who writes as openly, honestly, and viscerally as you do is going to be OK IMO. Your friends will reassure you on that. FWIW I don't think you sound any 'crazier' in your posts here than anyone else, and want to wish you the absolute fudging BEST in your surge forth...

It is, indeed, a growing mental health issue. I think there are legitimate reasons for that being the case. My daughter has a double diagnosis of BPD and ADHD. Her docs believe that the BPD might've been a mis-diagnosis and that the ADHD is more on point. All I can say is after many years of therapy, and some meds, the distances between several mental health disorders become 'ven diagram'esque. Depression and anxiety (from what I can see) underscore many of them. @markysimmo very best of luck in navigating the path which works for you, whatever that might entail.

Doctors will never admit they've made a mistake, rarely will a diagnosis be changed it's just said to be in remission which is an easy out. I feel like my bipolar diagnosis was flimflam as I don't match either type one or two in terms of timeframes of manic episodes, it was a 10 minute research online to see that it doesn't add up so how can it have been given in the first place?

My last meeting has two concerned looking people with clipboards and the details on the following letter were so far from what I'd said it was bordering slander / libel.

Always in two minds of criticizing a service so deliberately run down but there seems to be very little accountability given how important what they do is. Unless you're someone who happens to have the money for actual therapy I'd advise seeking help from friends / family / actual information but it's damaging to have hope that the mental health service in this country will do you good if your poor.

@Daisuk Glad to hear you're out and well mate, but anymore talk about us and the title and you're risking them locking you up again ;)

It's only my experience as my recent posts have suggested but the antipsychotics have real side effects like making you fat but don't actually help (and will really fudge up the vibe if you return to using weed / mushrooms, although I wouldn't recommend doing any of that for a while

I hope you do okay, buddy. Your honesty shows the right approach. Be kind to yourself. I’ve always enjoyed your posts.

Had my assessment via private healthcare but they won’t pay for treatment so will need to speak to my NHS GP for further help, not holding out much hope so reckon I’ll be paying for my own therapy costs at £100 a session

Had my assessment via private healthcare but they won’t pay for treatment so will need to speak to my NHS GP for further help, not holding out much hope so reckon I’ll be paying for my own therapy costs at £100 a session

What? Your private care won't cover? tossers. Here's hoping the NHS will find a way to help. Make sure you check for sliding scale if you have to go out of pocket. Disgraceful you have to do that BTW...

Back