• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

Had a call with my GP today and she suggested I take an ADHD test
Did the test and looks like I have a high likelhood of having it
Certainly explains some of the shall we say quirks haha
Anybody on here been diagnosed with it and how do they treat/cope/live with it better

Amazing how bad our media can be

CNN basically decided to target Ren, an independent artist who has a history of mental struggles and sings about how to deal with it, and use him as proof point on how TikTok is driving bad messaging to kids, and that effectively we should have kids be able to talk about mental health issues.

I took 17 weeks leave from work, On my return I was presented with All the work across ALL my classes in the expectation that I will mark it on top of the work that I have to mark for my classes this term. No time in lieu and no extra money to do it. Someone has already been paid to do it.

I took 17 weeks leave from work, On my return I was presented with All the work across ALL my classes in the expectation that I will mark it on top of the work that I have to mark for my classes this term. No time in lieu and no extra money to do it. Someone has already been paid to do it.
Do you mean the supply teacher(s) covering your leave?

Did you not have a back to work interview where expectations on both sides were aired.

When I came back from China in January, B&Q did a full interview with me. Good company can't rate them high enough.

Whomever it was. Some staff who upped their time fraction and some supply, but none of the work was marked. I have returned and they have lumbered me with it. No extra time, no extra pay, just do it and after the way I have been treated by the leadership after teaching classes that had no teacher and setting work gratis and then getting thrown under the bus last year by the admin, I have no interest in bailing them out this time.

Did you not have a back to work interview where expectations on both sides were aired.

When I came back from China in January, B&Q did a full interview with me. Good company can't rate them high enough.

No leave is leave. They are meant to hire a REPLACEMENT, that is for the prep, the teaching and the assessment.

Yeah I get leave is leave bit surely the was a back to work interview. You are in a highly unionised industry, surely you can ask your shop steward to help you.
Good advice to talk to the teaching union. And given the thread Gilzeantoscore chose to post in, I suspect he is looking for sympathy and reassurance; to me it doesn't sound fair at all that he is being asked to do all that extra work. He should be slightly helpful upon his return, but not THAT helpful!
Know your worth GTS. Lots of schools are crying out for good teachers.
I know a teacher who moved to a cushy private school; far better mannered kids, lovely buildings/environment, less work.

Good advice to talk to the teaching union. And given the thread Gilzeantoscore chose to post in, I suspect he is looking for sympathy and reassurance; to me it doesn't sound fair at all that he is being asked to do all that extra work. He should be slightly helpful upon his return, but not THAT helpful!
Know your worth GTS. Lots of schools are crying out for good teachers.
I know a teacher who moved to a cushy private school; far better mannered kids, lovely buildings/environment, less work.
Yeah your right. Sorry.

This will probably just be some rambling of random words, but I feel I just got to get this of my chest.

I've been struggling with depression for probably the last 3 years, but haven't really admitted it until this year. There are probably lots of reasons, and that's probably one of the things I need help with.
Last week I finally managed to seek help. I went to my doctor for help with an inflammation. As usual, my doctor that I've had for 30 years, wasn't there, so I got the appointment with a another one, who's only there for a short period. Turned out that she was a really lovely (and very attractive) person, originally from Afghanistan, and she was really easy to talk to.
So after my initial problem was dealt with, I just let go and gave her a long speech of how I felt.

She immediately booked me in for a session with my regular doctor, and said that if I was her patient, she'd start with some tests right away. She was really helpful, and took me seriously. I'd been delaying contacting my doctor for months, out of fear of not being taken seriously.
After leaving, it felt like I'd left 100kg behind. It was really good, and when I entered my car to drive away, I started crying. I couldn't stop it, and I probably sat there crying for 15-20 minutes.

The day after, I got a message that my appointment with my doctor had been cancelled, and I had to book a new appointment via their app. I immediately did, but have got no response since, and that made me feel quite down again, and I'm fearing I'm back to square one again.

Anyway, dealing with depression and mental problems is really hard. I was previously one of those that kind of thought that you just have to pull yourself together and deal with it. Well, I've learned that it's fuxking hard, and it gets worse the longer it goes. Hopefully I'll get some help, because I know myself that I am not able to sort it out on my own.

Sorry about this long rambling, but it felt good typing it out.
Hope everyone else is in good health, and wish you the best!

This will probably just be some rambling of random words, but I feel I just got to get this of my chest.

I've been struggling with depression for probably the last 3 years, but haven't really admitted it until this year. There are probably lots of reasons, and that's probably one of the things I need help with.
Last week I finally managed to seek help. I went to my doctor for help with an inflammation. As usual, my doctor that I've had for 30 years, wasn't there, so I got the appointment with a another one, who's only there for a short period. Turned out that she was a really lovely (and very attractive) person, originally from Afghanistan, and she was really easy to talk to.
So after my initial problem was dealt with, I just let go and gave her a long speech of how I felt.

She immediately booked me in for a session with my regular doctor, and said that if I was her patient, she'd start with some tests right away. She was really helpful, and took me seriously. I'd been delaying contacting my doctor for months, out of fear of not being taken seriously.
After leaving, it felt like I'd left 100kg behind. It was really good, and when I entered my car to drive away, I started crying. I couldn't stop it, and I probably sat there crying for 15-20 minutes.

The day after, I got a message that my appointment with my doctor had been cancelled, and I had to book a new appointment via their app. I immediately did, but have got no response since, and that made me feel quite down again, and I'm fearing I'm back to square one again.

Anyway, dealing with depression and mental problems is really hard. I was previously one of those that kind of thought that you just have to pull yourself together and deal with it. Well, I've learned that it's fuxking hard, and it gets worse the longer it goes. Hopefully I'll get some help, because I know myself that I am not able to sort it out on my own.

Keep on, as best you can, taking care of yourself. My wife has been a therapist for a decade or so now and taking the necessary steps to deal with mental health requires high amounts of resilience and bravery.

Keep going and also be persistent with your own doctor, don't let them fob you off.
I had an in going physical health problem that i was pretty sure was being aggravated by my mental health.
Despite repeated doctor appointments and no positive diagnosis one day i raised the issue that i thought i might be depressed.
She couldn't get me out of the office quick enough.
Two years later my physical health blew up big style, my gp was off (never been back in the surgery since first lockdown) and I got a temp who rushed me through the system to see a consultant.
Turns out my physical issue is hereditary and tge trigger is stress, anxiety and depression, issues I've always been prone to.
If my gp had listened that day i may not be having the problems i have now.
Keep at them, the right support can work wonders and sometimes that support can be as simple as having an opportunity to get it off your chest.
Always take that opportunity.
Even if its on here, anyone who has been through what you're going through well know, we're here to listen.
Good luck.

Don't be sorry. This sounds to me like you have taken the first step to a better future for yourself. The hardest one to take is always the first.

Is the locum you saw still at the practice? You said she was only there for a short period but if she's still there, maybe she can help push behind the scenes for you to get to see your usual GP. Wherever you are at now, it's definitely not back at square one - square one was suffering in silence and you've taken a huge step by opening up to a medical professional, who did treat you seriously. As said above, stick with it and don't be fobbed off. It's a bad/sad thing that "getting help" so often becomes a battle.
Remember also that as well as the cathartic impact of posting on here, there are also other avenues of help such as mental health charities and helplines which whilst not a solution, might provide some support whilst you wait for a full medical assessment.
Good Luck and never apologise for opening up, rambling (it wasn't) or not.

Back