• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

That Conte will not even start him against Portsmouth is just pathetic. The sooner he goes out on loan or is sold the better. The poor lad must regret signing for us. This is clearly not a footballing issue, but rather Conte trying to prove a point to Levy. Conte's treatment of the lad is just pathetic.
Not sure why you're frothing at the mouth so much. Maybe we couldn't get our main RWB target in the summer, so we've kept a future prospect around in case Doherty or Emerson get injured, and we intend to loan him out if we can get a RWB in this window?

The last time I checked Portsmouth were in League 1.

If that were true that titbit of information would have leaked out, it always does.

No, he is not playing because Conte wanted a proven wingback as opposed to "a club signing" with potential. The only reason people like me are irritated by Conte's behaviour is not because he regularly chooses Emerson ahead of Spence, a player who regularly develops a nose bleed when he crosses the half way line and who needs Kulu to hold his hand just to make him good enough to be ordinary.

If as you say he is not Premier League ready then I would suggest starting him against Portsmouth, a Division One club, would be right thing to do.
Conte clearly rates Doherty and Emerson above Spence, if Doherty is playing in the league then it only makes sense to start your second in line in the cup matches. Emerson maybe seen as trusted as he is not bad defensively, Conte constantly talks about trust, he clearly doesn’t trust spence.

That Conte will not even start him against Portsmouth is just pathetic. The sooner he goes out on loan or is sold the better. The poor lad must regret signing for us. This is clearly not a footballing issue, but rather Conte trying to prove a point to Levy. Conte's treatment of the lad is just pathetic.
How do you know that it's not a footballing issue?
It sounds exactly like when everyone was calling for Parrott to be given starts but Jose said he wasn't ready. Jose was right.
I'll trust Conte's judgement here and I'm sure he'll get more minutes when he is ready.

Conte clearly rates Doherty and Emerson above Spence, if Doherty is playing in the league then it only makes sense to start your second in line in the cup matches. Emerson maybe seen as trusted as he is not bad defensively, Conte constantly talks about trust, he clearly doesn’t trust spence.

I agree with your post.

Just to add putting him on today at 1-0 with the possibility of a replay if we conceded just one goal shows some level of trust. And Spence used the chance well I thought. Not an eye catching cameo, but doing a job, keeping it fairly simple. Not go ion dribbling runs from deep.

I think that's the kind of performance that may make Conte trust him more in the future.

I agree with your post.

Just to add putting him on today at 1-0 with the possibility of a replay if we conceded just one goal shows some level of trust. And Spence used the chance well I thought. Not an eye catching cameo, but doing a job, keeping it fairly simple. Not go ion dribbling runs from deep.

I think that's the kind of performance that may make Conte trust him more in the future.

That was noticeable in his play, got 1-1 and stopped, took stock and played safe. Maybe a case of him building trust with Conte there and doing what was asked.

Agree with all you say there

I agree with your post.

Like most of them tiday, very much a team performance, everyone doing their job and helping out where needed.

I agree with your post.

Interesting debate, he clearly played it safe.

Is that the route to showing Conte something? I'd really like to see something explosive from the kid, something we don't have from our other WBs.

Loan is probably still the best option right now for him.

Is that the route to showing Conte something? I'd really like to see something explosive from the kid, something we don't have from our other WBs.

I think it looked like an instruction, protect the ball and win and he did that

Talk is he won't be sold so a loan looks likely

Well that explains why Spence was so boring. Strict instructions to not dribble, not take a man on, just turn and lay it back. Frustrating to watch, but not his fault.
We are playing League One opposition, you’d think it would be nice to start Spence and make him feel really involved and have a little freedom to do his thing. But no, let’s start with the defensive wingback Conte doesn’t really want. And then with fifteen minutes to go bring on the attacking wing back to shore things up and play it safe:Do_O…..

I think quite strongly that playing within the system and playing professionally based on what we need in that game is exactly what is needed to gain more trust from Conte.

Had he come on, tried to do everything himself, dribbled with the ball in the middle third with safe options available that would have been the opposite.

A loan may very well still be the right option. But this may also be a sign that he can get more minutes going forward.

Well that explains why Spence was so boring. Strict instructions to not dribble, not take a man on, just turn and lay it back. Frustrating to watch, but not his fault.

No one's fault. That's what's required when 1-0 up in a cup game and mostly in control of the game. That's not the time for playing with more risk.

To me it's definitely not exciting, but not frustrating. One of his previous cameos was more exciting, but also to me more frustrating. Running at people instead of using obvious combination options.

We know he can do very useful things one on one. There's definitely room for that in a Conte system. When in the right situation in the final third. When there's a lack of good options deeper.

This is the kind of decision making that's required.

Just to be clear, don't mean to be harsh on Spence. He's probably having to adjust his game. He's probably very eager to impress and stake a claim. It's not easy then, but all the more encouraging that he did this time.

We are playing League One opposition, you’d think it would be nice to start Spence and make him feel really involved and have a little freedom to do his thing. But no, let’s start with the defensive wingback Conte doesn’t really want. And then with fifteen minutes to go bring on the attacking wing back to shore things up and play it safe:Do_O…..

Gave Spence the opportunity to show that he can do exactly that. Shows some trust from Conte, trusting him to make good decisions and shore things up.

I don't think the problem is or has been what Spence can do when he has freedom. That's fine. I'm guessing it's more about when he chooses to play with freedom and when he sticks with the system play.

This is essentially what I've been trying to say here and in other threads here.

There are managers that care a lot less about discipline. "Go out there and run around a bit" type approach. Even Mourinho wasn't particularly obsessed with discipline in possession imo. Managers that will be happy giving the players a lot of freedom and figure it out.

Conte is definitely more on the discipline side, both in and out of possession. Do the thing he wants for the system to work.

There's imo no better or worse approach with this. Many different good approaches. But this is what Conte wants and if he doesn't get what he wants he won't trust that player.

I see your points here but Conte hasn't said he "doesn't really want" Royal and often seems eager to play him, the idea that he is unwanted by Conte seems to be a media / fan driven perspective.

Back to Djed he did seem very shackles on during his appearance, if it's following specific instructions then great I suppose but it's not really his game for the long term at least from what I (and many others) saw of him at Forest. Seems like it's going to take a long term injury to Royal or Doherty for him to really get a shot anytime soon.

This was posted by Trix on that 'other' forum..

From what I've heard this morning Spence not playing is 100% nothing to do with Conte making a point or being stubborn, It's something Spence needs to sort out himself!

Conte won't pick anyone he doesn't feel are giving 100% you can't get by just doing the minimum at this level especially if you are young and trying to break in.

This doesn't mean he's a trouble maker, or he's not being professional, or trying etc, but Conte has yet to see him go the extra yard in training. He's told the club he wants the opportunity to show what he can do. Conte says when you show me what you can really do you'll get the opportunity.

This was posted by Trix on that 'other' forum..

From what I've heard this morning Spence not playing is 100% nothing to do with Conte making a point or being stubborn, It's something Spence needs to sort out himself!

Conte won't pick anyone he doesn't feel are giving 100% you can't get by just doing the minimum at this level especially if you are young and trying to break in.

This doesn't mean he's a trouble maker, or he's not being professional, or trying etc, but Conte has yet to see him go the extra yard in training. He's told the club he wants the opportunity to show what he can do. Conte says when you show me what you can really do you'll get the opportunity.
Lol…. Like Trix has any idea about Conte’s beliefs about any of our players o_O

Back