• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

This is where I am too. It would be good to see Spence, Skipp, Gil and Sarr all start on Saturday given we're playing a league 1 team though

Hopefully then we sign Pedro Porro in Jan, loan our Royal to someone in Spain and probably Spence to a low PL or high Championship team

Agreed. Saturday he should start in the cup.

Pochettino said you get paid to train, not to play.

Conte is showing that if he trusts you there will be chances. May take time to get them, may have to wait until other options aren't available, but you will get them.

Although getting time on the pitch can be very helpful and valuable for a player I'm not convinced getting that time sooner is always the best step.

Or in another way, if the reward of game time comes as a result both of hard work and development towards what's needed for the role on the pitch that's better than just getting game time because game time.

I have no more information about what goes on behind the scenes than anyone else. But I think people jump to conclusions about Conte's decisions. Could it be that he's still waiting to see more of the right steps from Spence on the training ground before he gets more game time?

For 6 minutes, at the end of a dead rubber?

I get that. I can’t stand Royal myself.
There’s a lot of talk about why he’s not playing and some saying it’s not a Conte signing etc. maybe not. But my point was maybe he’s just not good enough or ready.

Royal plays infront of him and he’s brick so does not say a lot for Spence.

I get that. I can’t stand Royal myself.
There’s a lot of talk about why he’s not playing and some saying it’s not a Conte signing etc. maybe not. But my point was maybe he’s just not good enough or ready.

Royal plays infront of him and he’s brick so does not say a lot for Spence.

Royal isn't brick. He's dependable and has taken some positive steps in his development on the ball.

He's still limited. But he's clearly doing everything he can to be as useful for Conte and the team as he possibly can. While being defensively solid.

That gets rewarded with game time. That's the standard Conte wants to set imo.

Not saying Spence isn't doing that, impossible for us to know. He may be doing everything he can, but still not being ready in Conte's eyes. Conte may be just stubborn or weird or mean, impossible to know.

One thing Conte won't do imo is reward a player with game time because the player is talented or young. Getting with the programme, taking enough steps in the right direction, that will get you game time under Conte. In my eyes that's a very good standard to set.

Conte is very much a system manager. Learning to play within that system may go quickly, may take time, but for Conte to play you that's what has to happen.

There are downsides and upsides to that approach like with every approach.

Maybe it's not a lack of talent, mentality, application or physical strength, maybe he is just struggling to fit into contes system. I think that's a lot sons problem, some players take longer to adapt, it will come.

Royal isn't brick. He's dependable and has taken some positive steps in his development on the ball.

He's still limited. But he's clearly doing everything he can to be as useful for Conte and the team as he possibly can. While being defensively solid.

That gets rewarded with game time. That's the standard Conte wants to set imo.

Not saying Spence isn't doing that, impossible for us to know. He may be doing everything he can, but still not being ready in Conte's eyes. Conte may be just stubborn or weird or mean, impossible to know.

One thing Conte won't do imo is reward a player with game time because the player is talented or young. Getting with the programme, taking enough steps in the right direction, that will get you game time under Conte. In my eyes that's a very good standard to set.

Conte is very much a system manager. Learning to play within that system may go quickly, may take time, but for Conte to play you that's what has to happen.

There are downsides and upsides to that approach like with every approach.

It's amazing (but unfortunately unsurprising) that Spurs fans have a spacegoat, and said spacegoat is "incapable of playing football"

Royal is not the right player for Conte's system, he's a FB, not a WB and everyone knows that. What people miss is
- His positional discipline, he plays where Conte tells him
- His engine, he runs up and down all game and as a bonus never gets injured (most of our other FBs seem made of glass)
- He always makes himself open for a pass (something it was noticeable Doherty was better at last night than previously)

Yes his crossing and finishing is abysmal

I personally hope Spence gets a chance on the week-end and takes it, or at least shows some hints of what he is capable of.

For Royal, I hope he gets a team in Spain/Italy where he can play his natural position, I think he will do just fine.

I’m still surprised that Conte’s never given Royal a go at RCB, like our other defensive full-back Davies. Maybe it feels too much like a risk / longer-term project.

It's amazing (but unfortunately unsurprising) that Spurs fans have a spacegoat, and said spacegoat is "incapable of playing football"

Royal is not the right player for Conte's system, he's a FB, not a WB and everyone knows that. What people miss is
- His positional discipline, he plays where Conte tells him
- His engine, he runs up and down all game and as a bonus never gets injured (most of our other FBs seem made of glass)
- He always makes himself open for a pass (something it was noticeable Doherty was better at last night than previously)

Yes his crossing and finishing is abysmal

I personally hope Spence gets a chance on the week-end and takes it, or at least shows some hints of what he is capable of.

For Royal, I hope he gets a team in Spain/Italy where he can play his natural position, I think he will do just fine.
Nothing to do with a spacegoat. He’s not that great a defender either.

Yes it may not be his preferred position but because of that this myth that he’s some solid RB has emerged and it’s just not the case. In my view. I’d not want to see him play as RB if we played a 4 at the back.

Some signings are a hit or a miss it happens. He’s a miss.

Yes it may not be his preferred position but because of that this myth that he’s some solid RB has emerged and it’s just not the case. In my view. I’d not want to see him play as RB if we played a 4 at the back.

You clearly don't go to games or read people's reactions, most people act like the guy is the worse player ever to put on a shirt.

I agree he's a miss, I think he's a decent defender with all the attributes I mentioned, I think his performances are way above Sessegnon's as example, and I've seen games from Doherty that are way worse and people don't have half the reaction.

He's a priority upgrade, but we should be developing Spence or loaning him as well

You clearly don't go to games or read people's reactions, most people act like the guy is the worse player ever to put on a shirt.

I agree he's a miss, I think he's a decent defender with all the attributes I mentioned, I think his performances are way above Sessegnon's as example, and I've seen games from Doherty that are way worse and people don't have half the reaction.

He's a priority upgrade, but we should be developing Spence or loaning him as well

I agree with you about Doherty and Sess we clearly need to upgrade in these areas.

I do see the reactions to his performances and I suppose it is over the top some of the stuff levelled at him.

When I personally refer to him as brick it’s harsh in terms of you clearly don’t play elite football if you’re brick but at the elite level he’s not good enough. I suppose it’s a lazy term to use.

Harvey White got given minutes yesterday so it's clearly not a simple issue of age being the reason as to why this guy is barely getting any game time...
But we have two experienced RWBs currently.

In CM we were struggling for numbers, otherwise Sarr and White wouldn’t of got a look in.

I think some are looking too deep into Contes reasons. It clearly takes a lot of time for him to trust starting young players in PL. Its taken Gil over a year to get a PL start. It took Doherty ages to get his place back from Royal, when clearly Conte prefers him when both fully fit. Even a quality PL player like Bissouma took ages to get any real minutes here.

Id hazard a guess by this time next season Spence will be getting a lot more minutes for us….

The way Conte is treating Spence is absolutely disgraceful. We were 0:2 down against Villa and he brings Spence on at 88 minutes. we were 0:4 up against Palace after 72 minutes and he is nowhere to be seen. This myth that he is not ready to play for Spurs, even when we are leading 4 nil, and that Emerson is the better option is complete and utter gash.

I could understand if the lad had been given numerous chances and had continually bottled it but he has not. I have not heard a single rumour about him displaying a bad attitude in the dressing room or in training so to me this comes across as Conte being vindictive and trying to make a point with the board, as the lad was "a club signing". I think it is pathetic.

We need to send him out on loan ASAP.

The way Conte is treating Spence is absolutely disgraceful. We were 0:2 down against Villa and he brings Spence on at 88 minutes. we were 0:4 up against Palace after 72 minutes and he is nowhere to be seen. This myth that he is not ready to play for Spurs, even when we are leading 4 nil, and that Emerson is the better option is complete and utter gash.

I could understand if the lad had been given numerous chances and had continually bottled it but he has not. I have not heard a single rumour about him displaying a bad attitude in the dressing room or in training so to me this comes across as Conte being vindictive and trying to make a point with the board, as the lad was "a club signing". I think it is pathetic.

We need to send him out on loan ASAP.
I wonder whether Conte is planning on starting with Spence at the weekend and hence didn't bring him on last night?

In his short cameo last night he nearly gave away a penalty and lost his man to allow them a very good chance - he's not a good defender, he's just worse at the other end.

Back