• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

The way Conte is treating Spence is absolutely disgraceful. We were 0:2 down against Villa and he brings Spence on at 88 minutes. we were 0:4 up against Palace after 72 minutes and he is nowhere to be seen. This myth that he is not ready to play for Spurs, even when we are leading 4 nil, and that Emerson is the better option is complete and utter gash.

I could understand if the lad had been given numerous chances and had continually bottled it but he has not. I have not heard a single rumour about him displaying a bad attitude in the dressing room or in training so to me this comes across as Conte being vindictive and trying to make a point with the board, as the lad was "a club signing". I think it is pathetic.

We need to send him out on loan ASAP.

In line with his treatment of all our youth players, it's not sustainable.

It's amazing (but unfortunately unsurprising) that Spurs fans have a spacegoat, and said spacegoat is "incapable of playing football"

Royal is not the right player for Conte's system, he's a FB, not a WB and everyone knows that. What people miss is
- His positional discipline, he plays where Conte tells him
- His engine, he runs up and down all game and as a bonus never gets injured (most of our other FBs seem made of glass)
- He always makes himself open for a pass (something it was noticeable Doherty was better at last night than previously)

Yes his crossing and finishing is abysmal

I personally hope Spence gets a chance on the week-end and takes it, or at least shows some hints of what he is capable of.

For Royal, I hope he gets a team in Spain/Italy where he can play his natural position, I think he will do just fine.
I don't think Royal is sh*t, but he isn't all that good either - yet. I wouldn't call him particulary dependable or solid as in makes few mistakes, he is prone to Aurier-like rashness. To me, Ben Davies is a solid defender while being unspectacular, Royal not so much. He's young and can improve, but that also makes him benchable without too much fuss. Still as you say, he's got some engine and doesn't hide away - but those are also the qualities of Højbjerg, who according to many is very droppable.

Last edited:
In line with his treatment of all our youth players, it's not sustainable.

If it takes time, but happens it's sustainable imo.

Skipp, Sessegnon both getting trust and chances. Now Gil and Sarr starting to get that trust. Bastoni at Inter. Hakimi at Inter (though like Kulusevski here signed for some real money, but a younger player for sure).

If the end result is that all of these young players are just ignored and barely played that will become unsustainable. If Gil, Sarr, Udogie, Spence etc get their chances, but it takes longer than it would have under some other managers that can be sustainable.

That Conte will not even start him against Portsmouth is just pathetic. The sooner he goes out on loan or is sold the better. The poor lad must regret signing for us. This is clearly not a footballing issue, but rather Conte trying to prove a point to Levy. Conte's treatment of the lad is just pathetic.

That Conte will not even start him against Portsmouth is just pathetic. The sooner he goes out on loan or is sold the better. The poor lad must regret signing for us. This is clearly not a footballing issue, but rather Conte trying to prove a point to Levy. Conte's treatment of the lad is just pathetic.
Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t good enough yet? He may have done well in the Championship but the prem is a completely different level. Maybe his attitude stinks? Maybe he trains like Dele Alli? We do not know why he is not being picked, all i know is if he was good enough he would be playing, Conte wouldn’t just leave a superstar on the bench if it could help the team.

Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t good enough yet? He may have done well in the Championship but the prem is a completely different level. Maybe his attitude stinks? Maybe he trains like Dele Alli? We do not know why he is not being picked, all i know is if he was good enough he would be playing, Conte wouldn’t just leave a superstar on the bench if it could help the team.
Ah well I guess Arsenal are about Championship level, and he did manage to get MOTM against them. You can come up with any theory you like, no one is saying he is a superstar but there is absolutely no chance that this guy is not more of a RWB than Royal. Conte is super strict with bedding in almost any player, let alone young players but to not blood him against a League One side and instead play a guy he apparently wants to get rid of is mind boggling…..

Ah well I guess Arsenal are about Championship level, and he did manage to get MOTM against them. You can come up with any theory you like, no one is saying he is a superstar but there is absolutely no chance that this guy is not more of a RWB than Royal. Conte is super strict with bedding in almost any player, let alone young players but to not blood him against a League One side and instead play a guy he apparently wants to get rid of is mind boggling…..

Conte sent perisic on loan to learn his role and hardly played eriksen the first season. Doesn't mean they were bad players just he wants his players to play a certain way.

Conte sent perisic on loan to learn his role and hardly played eriksen the first season. Doesn't mean they were bad players just he wants his players to play a certain way.
Absolutely, and I said few days ago I don’t think it’s anything personal with Spence. But it is nice and also important to feel part of the group, and against a League One team he is more than good enough to play and get some valuable experience with the shirt. I’m hoping he still gets bought on with a good half hour to go rather than the usual final two minutes…..

Oh come on now you know as well as i do that there are always lower league players who perform well in cup matches against bigger opposition, this does not mean they are good enough to rub shoulders with them consistently.

Absolutely, and I said few days ago I don’t think it’s anything personal with Spence. But it is nice and also important to feel part of the group, and against a League One team he is more than good enough to play and get some valuable experience with the shirt. I’m hoping he still gets bought on with a good half hour to go rather than the usual final two minutes…..

I was hoping he'd get a start aswell.

Oh come on now you know as well as i do that there are always lower league players who perform well in cup matches against bigger opposition, this does not mean they are good enough to rub shoulders with them consistently.
He did it all season in the Championship, and not just against Arsenal he scored against Leicester aswell. He is not the finished article but he is better than Royal - Royal would not of stood out like he did in the Championship. But anyway, in Conte we trust….

Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t good enough yet? He may have done well in the Championship but the prem is a completely different level.

The last time I checked Portsmouth were in League 1.

Maybe his attitude stinks?

If that were true that titbit of information would have leaked out, it always does.

Maybe he trains like Dele Alli? We do not know why he is not being picked, all i know is if he was good enough he would be playing, Conte wouldn’t just leave a superstar on the bench if it could help the team.

No, he is not playing because Conte wanted a proven wingback as opposed to "a club signing" with potential. The only reason people like me are irritated by Conte's behaviour is not because he regularly chooses Emerson ahead of Spence, a player who regularly develops a nose bleed when he crosses the half way line and who needs Kulu to hold his hand just to make him good enough to be ordinary.

If as you say he is not Premier League ready then I would suggest starting him against Portsmouth, a Division One club, would be right thing to do.

I was hoping he'd get a start aswell.

He will probably come on in the 88th minute as per usual

What do we learn by starting a substandard premier league wingback against Portsmouth when you could give a chance to Spence. It is Portsmouth FFS.

Royal hasn't had nuch game time, maybe conte feels its better to give him a run and get him match fit for the PL and CL.

Yeah Royal is still competing with Doherty to be first choice, so in the managers mind getting minutes in to him will be important

Reminder that Royal is only slightly older than Spence, they are both kids, the "Conte not giving youth a chance" argument doesn't work.

As are Gil, Sess, Skipp, Sarr and Tanganga who all started today.

Back