• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Of all the players who have disappointed me over the years Jenas is up there, for me he had the ability to be a top player but for some reason he never could show it constantly over a long period. Maybe it was a mental thing but he should have become a far better player then he showed.

He was too nice, not confident or hard enough. Someone like Ferguson might have ruffled his feathers and got into him. It is mental. He makes a perfect pundit though!

Alli and his agent decided that Mauricio Pochettino would be the right man to continue the player’s development after watching closely how the likes of Harry Kane, Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb have all progressed from youth team football to the first team and thrived.

At the time I didn’t feel it was the right move to Liverpool personally. I wanted to stay at MK a bit longer to get some more first-team experience

“When we were looking at moving I think it was really important that we found a manager who was similar to the gaffer [Karl],” Alli says. “Someone who has a lot of trust in young players and isn’t scared to put them on. I can see that in the manager [at Spurs], so it’s a great move for me.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dele-alli-loan-spurs-season-not-if-i-can-help-it

I think he will do well under Poch. Just Poch's type. Busy, skilful and can score. I think Poch will help him develop, and this guy could be key player in the cups this season.

Of all the players who have disappointed me over the years Jenas is up there, for me he had the ability to be a top player but for some reason he never could show it constantly over a long period. Maybe it was a mental thing but he should have become a far better player then he showed.
That's what I believe too. I thought he was going to progress much farther than he did , but he hit a ceiling and it was not to do with technique or ability. IMO Jenas never developed into a player who had the big picture in his head. He just reacted to things as they were happening on the pitch rather than making them happen and controlling the situation.
Anyway I think Dele is a different beast but I guess it is too early to tell.

Last edited:
He was too nice, not confident or hard enough. Someone like Ferguson might have ruffled his feathers and got into him. It is mental. He makes a perfect pundit though!

You are probably right and yes I think he is a good pundit too.

That's what I believe too. I thought he was going to progress much farther than he did too, but he hit a ceiling and it was not to do with technique or ability. IMO Jenas never developed into a player who had the big picture in his head. He just reacted to things as they were happening on the pitch rather than mading them happen and controlling the situation.
Anyway I think Dele is a different beast but I guess it is too early to tell.

Lets hope Deli is, as for Jenas I never understood the hate he got from some fans I was just disappointed he did not make the best of what he had, he should have gone on and become a legend here as ( imo) he had all the ability skills wise.

Lets hope Deli is, as for Jenas I never understood the hate he got from some fans I was just disappointed he did not make the best of what he had, he should have gone on and become a legend here as ( imo) he had all the ability skills wise.
Yes, Jenas was another case of a player not reaching his full potential at Spurs and there is a long list of those unfortunately. Even in the current squad we have a bunch playing below what they are well capable of.

Yes, Jenas was another case of a player not reaching his full potential at Spurs and there is a long list of those unfortunately. Even in the current squad we have a bunch playing below what they are well capable of.

That is true but he played over 200 games for us so he was never as bad as some make out but he never really became the player he should have been.

There are others who have failed here but ( imo) they never had as much potential as Jenas did and why I have said ( imo) he has been the biggest disappointment for me.

I find it weird how unanimously people say Jenas had all the ability to be a brilliant player. For me he fundamentally lacked that natural ability to make space for himself on the ball, was never a technically great passer, and didn't have great awareness on the pitch.

I find it weird how unanimously people say Jenas had all the ability to be a brilliant player. For me he fundamentally lacked that natural ability to make space for himself on the ball, was never a technically great passer, and didn't have great awareness on the pitch.

I think people get caught up with football ability with athletic ability.

I don't agree with that, Jenas had a decent range of passes and had good technique. I agree with the others who have said that what he lacked was hunger and drive.

I don't agree with that, Jenas had a decent range of passes and had good technique. I agree with the others who have said that what he lacked was hunger and drive.

Do you think he was good at making space for himself on the ball, in the way that Modric was world class and Bentaleb frequently shows signs of? With a little drop of the shoulder, turn, nice touch etc? I thought he was awful at that.

Probably have to agree to disagree though, unless we want to watch old footage together to back up our opinions o_O

Do you think he was good at making space for himself on the ball, in the way that Modric was world class and Bentaleb frequently shows signs of? With a little drop of the shoulder, turn, nice touch etc? I thought he was awful at that.

Probably have to agree to disagree though, unless we want to watch old footage together to back up our opinions o_O

No, he wasn't as good on the ball as Modric but they are/were very different players. A better/hungrier Jenas would have been more akin to Lampard.

I agree based on what i have seen so far, he played with his head up which is basic but not exactly common!

Needs a lot of other abilities to be able to regularly (and effectively) play with your head up at a high level. Looking up that often you kind of have to take your eyes off the ball (at least it will be only be in your peripheral vision) Doing that whilst maintaining a wide range of consistently good touches and passes with the ability to perceive space and make that into a useful creative ability is very difficult.

Back