• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Beckham Announces Retirement, Lovely Gesture

Two starts actually, one of them in the Champions League, but I suppose Ancelotti only started him in that so that they would sell more shirts?

I don't see how other people overrating him is Beckham's fault? He's always seemed like a model professional to me, evidenced in part by how both Redknapp and Wenger were happy to have him along in training when they could make it fit.

He wasn't good enough to pull your average national side into a good run in an international tournament? Big whoop. Same would go for every English player since Euro '96 at the very least.

So sorry I missed 1 start. So he made TWO starts then? Massive contribution!

As for the last paragraph, that's the whole point. Why is Beckham singled out for so much praise when the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc all get slaughtered for not turning up in tournaments? Besides the caps total which I agree deserves praise, he didn't do much better than the other names I mentioned.

Owen performed better for England in the big games, I don't know how that can be disputed. Scored against all the big nations too unlike Crouch who scored all his goals against Jamaica.

But yeah Scholes hands down was better than the other two. Scholes was so understated and never wanted any attention, it's a shame his retirement has been overshadowed.

Owen performed well for England for around four years. Hardly a consistent international player. Whilst Beckham made the most appearances an outfield player ever has in an England team he was in on merit for over ten years.

I don't think it can be disputed that Beckham did more for England over his career than Owen did.

I wouldn't put him in the top 15 or probably even 50 but there is so much anti because he made very good on his ability down to hard work.

Would rate him higher than Platt though.

He got the most out of his talent and he deserves credit for that. I would say top 20-30 in terms of England players.

Owen performed well for England for around four years. Hardly a consistent international player. Whilst Beckham made the most appearances an outfield player ever has in an England team he was in on merit for over ten years.

I don't think it can be disputed that Beckham did more for England over his career than Owen did.

Just because he got more caps than Owen did? Rooney has got 80 caps and will probably get over 100, but I don't think you can say he's had contribution than someone like Jimmy Greaves who scored 44 in 57 for England. Owen's career got derailed by injuries, scored 40 in 89 games and it looked likely he would go on to set the all time goals record.

Don't follow England so hard for me to comment on Beckham, but as a club player I always felt he was quite over rated. He was shown up technically when he went to Real Madrid for sure. Some fans talk about him being England's greatest ever player, but from what I saw he wasn't in the same class as a lot of English players and certainly he was well behind someone of the talents of Glenn Hoddle.

Former England winger Chris Waddle would not rank David Beckham in the top 1,000 Premier League players.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle told BBC Radio 5 Live. "You can go down a list of footballers since the Premier League and I don't think David Beckham would probably be in the first 1,000."

His words not mine

Just because he got more caps than Owen did? Rooney has got 80 caps and will probably get over 100, but I don't think you can say he's had contribution than someone like Jimmy Greaves who scored 44 in 57 for England. Owen's career got derailed by injuries, scored 40 in 89 games and it looked likely he would go on to set the all time goals record.

No. Because he was a better player than Owen was for a much longer time.

Which is why he got more caps.

Last edited:
Former England winger Chris Waddle would not rank David Beckham in the top 1,000 Premier League players.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle told BBC Radio 5 Live. "You can go down a list of footballers since the Premier League and I don't think David Beckham would probably be in the first 1,000."

His words not mine

Waddle is a bit of **** and a brick commentator.

No. Because he was a better player than Owen was for a much longer time.

Which is why he got more caps.

Agree to disagree.

Btw, that comment from Waddle was OTT, but I think he was right on the money with his other comments:

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think there has been a lot more talented players in the world. But he made the most of what he has got,"
said Waddle, who played more than 100 times for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Tottenham, Sheffield Wednesday and Marseille, winning 62 England caps.

Waddle added: "He has got a terrific image and used it very well. He never had a trick, wasn't particularly quick, but he was very good at set-pieces and deliveries, he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs.

"He said the right things, he sold shirts, he put money in the tills wherever he went and conducted himself well."

"As a player I would say he was a fantastic crosser of the ball, a great athlete," said Waddle. "Now people will be talking about him and saying 'how great, how great'. I would say 'how good'.
Play media

"I would not say he was a great. He was very good at his job, he worked very hard as a professional footballer."

fcuk it lets list some top 20 players in premiership

GINOLA, Klinsmann, Henry, Fowler, Shearer, Vieira, Bergkamp, Rooney, Van Persie, Drogba, Fabregas,Di Canio, Sheringham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Schmeichel, Giggs, McManaman, Terry brick there are loads and I have definitely forgotten some massive ones

Thats the thing I do not think he is top 20 at all. Top 50 I would say. But to say not in the 1000 is a bit of a joke dont you think?

Yeah I agree. The trouble, I think he was spot on with the rest of the comments, but the headline is going to get attention and people won't take it seriously now, he really should have thought it through before he said it.

Thats the thing I do not think he is top 20 at all. Top 50 I would say. But to say not in the 1000 is a bit of a joke dont you think?

This calls for a new thread and perhaps a poll to see who we think are the best 20 footballers since the premiership began.

Doubt he would make the top 50

fcuk it lets list some top 20 players in premiership

GINOLA, Klinsmann, Henry, Fowler, Shearer, Vieira, Bergkamp, Rooney, Van Persie, Drogba, Fabregas,Di Canio, Sheringham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Schmeichel, Giggs, McManaman, Terry brick there are loads and I have definitely forgotten some massive ones

Ronaldo?

That comment really makes Waddle out to be a bit of a cnut ... sour grapes/grudge/something.

You don't win anything for yourself by saying brick like that. All he had to say was, Becks made the most of what he got, all the best to him. Kicking somebody on the way out is just poor form.

So sorry I missed 1 start. So he made TWO starts then? Massive contribution!

As for the last paragraph, that's the whole point. Why is Beckham singled out for so much praise when the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc all get slaughtered for not turning up in tournaments? Besides the caps total which I agree deserves praise, he didn't do much better than the other names I mentioned.

You were saying that he was only there for the shirt-sales, him starting in a vital CL game would go against that belief I would think.

I didn't say he made a massive contribution, I haven't seen anyone here saying that he made a massive contribution, I haven't read any article claiming that he made a massive contribution, although admittedly I haven't been sitting around reading David Beckham articles.

He seems to get both praise and criticism more than most players, do you think Waddle will come out with a similar comment about one of the other players you mentioned when they retire?

You were saying that he was only there for the shirt-sales, him starting in a vital CL game would go against that belief I would think.

I didn't say he made a massive contribution, I haven't seen anyone here saying that he made a massive contribution, I haven't read any article claiming that he made a massive contribution, although admittedly I haven't been sitting around reading David Beckham articles.

He seems to get both praise and criticism more than most players, do you think Waddle will come out with a similar comment about one of the other players you mentioned when they retire?

If he had started more than the two games, then I would believe like you do that they signed him because they thought he could do a job. To some extent, he can still do a job, his crosssing ability and range of passing is still there, but the fact that he only made 1 league start in 4 months speaks volumes for me that the main reason they bought him was to boost their image and for shirt sales, if he produced the odd bit of good play on the pitch, then that was a bonus.

As for the last paragraph, yeah he polarises opinions, more so than almost any footballer from the last 20 years. I've never met him, but I can imagine he's just as genuine as he comes across. I think Billyiddo summed it up perfectly earlier in the thread, he's just made so many moves in his life and career that were done purely to boost the Beckham brand, that's why people are a bit cynical about him. What annoys me is that you can't express an opinion about any negative aspect about him or even state that you don't think he's as great as everyone makes out without being either insulted or being labelled jealous.

To me, the real sad thing about this week is people are hardly mentioning Paul Scholes, who was a better player than Beckham, always wanted to stay out of the limelight and is the polar opposite to Beckham in that sense. His peers such as Zidane and Xavi recognise him as the best midfielder of his generation.

Back