• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Beckham Announces Retirement, Lovely Gesture

To me, the real sad thing about this week is people are hardly mentioning Paul Scholes, who was a better player than Beckham, always wanted to stay out of the limelight and is the polar opposite to Beckham in that sense. His peers such as Zidane and Xavi recognise him as the best midfielder of his generation.

This. If only England had the brains to build a national team around him

This. If only England had the brains to build a national team around him

Not really, England would have played half their games with 10 men.

Scholes was a good player, but also a nasty piece of brick on the field, really only the fact that he played for United protected him from being sent off repeatedly. Always drove me crazy when Scholes would purposely fudge someone up and the ass licking commentary would be "poor Scholes, he just really isn't a good tackler"

Scholes was a good player, but also a nasty piece of brick on the field, really only the fact that he played for United protected him from being sent off repeatedly. Always drove me crazy when Scholes would purposely fudge someone up and the ass licking commentary would be "poor Scholes, he just really isn't a good tackler"

You have just provided a perfect description of the perfect English footballer. I wish he had been ours. He is up their with the gods of our game.

I'd imagine Scholes is retiring how he wants, with minimum fuss.

I'm definitely a paid up member of Team D-Beck but I can appreciate how much he polarises opinions. I admire his attitude, work-ethic and the manner in which he has picks himself up every time he has been knocked down. Remember, this is a guy that was hated by a whole nation!

fcuk it lets list some top 20 players in premiership

GINOLA, Klinsmann, Henry, Fowler, Shearer, Vieira, Bergkamp, Rooney, Van Persie, Drogba, Fabregas,Di Canio, Sheringham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Schmeichel, Giggs, McManaman, Terry brick there are loads and I have definitely forgotten some massive ones
Added to that ahead of Beckham ... Berbatov,king,Ronaldo, Zola,Owen, Ginola,

I'd imagine Scholes is retiring how he wants, with minimum fuss.

I'm definitely a paid up member of Team D-Beck but I can appreciate how much he polarises opinions. I admire his attitude, work-ethic and the manner in which he has picks himself up every time he has been knocked down. Remember, this is a guy that was hated by a whole nation!

Yep.

This to me is why i'm a fan. I absolutely hated the guy early in his career. Once i looked past the fame, glitz and glamour and i began to appreciate his determination and work ethic. Here was a guy that was very limited in terms of talent but somehow managed to carve out a great career. There are countless players better than him but for what ever reason they haven't had the same impact, effectiveness and longevity.

If he had started more than the two games, then I would believe like you do that they signed him because they thought he could do a job. To some extent, he can still do a job, his crosssing ability and range of passing is still there, but the fact that he only made 1 league start in 4 months speaks volumes for me that the main reason they bought him was to boost their image and for shirt sales, if he produced the odd bit of good play on the pitch, then that was a bonus.

As for the last paragraph, yeah he polarises opinions, more so than almost any footballer from the last 20 years. I've never met him, but I can imagine he's just as genuine as he comes across. I think Billyiddo summed it up perfectly earlier in the thread, he's just made so many moves in his life and career that were done purely to boost the Beckham brand, that's why people are a bit cynical about him. What annoys me is that you can't express an opinion about any negative aspect about him or even state that you don't think he's as great as everyone makes out without being either insulted or being labelled jealous.

To me, the real sad thing about this week is people are hardly mentioning Paul Scholes, who was a better player than Beckham, always wanted to stay out of the limelight and is the polar opposite to Beckham in that sense. His peers such as Zidane and Xavi recognise him as the best midfielder of his generation.

I agree that Scholes is the superior player, but like Auro said this is probably how Scholes would have wanted it. That's his personality and I think a lot of football fans know how good Scholes was and won't need live news tv coverage to tell them. Leave the circus for Beckham, that's this personality.

If this was true you would expect Scholes to have been sent off quite a few times for England, in 66 appearances he's been sent off once. That's less than Rooney and Beckham and the same as Gerrard. Although some of those have more games. That doesn't indicate a player that is a constant risk of getting sent off. He can be a nasty player, we all know that. But he's also very cynical, like most of the Manu team and rarely get his temper get the better of him. Quite often those nasty challenges would be for a reason I think.

Yep.

This to me is why i'm a fan. I absolutely hated the guy early in his career. Once i looked past the fame, glitz and glamour and i began to appreciate his determination and work ethic. Here was a guy that was very limited in terms of talent but somehow managed to carve out a great career. There are countless players better than him but for what ever reason they haven't had the same impact, effectiveness and longevity.

This is my point really. He wasn't a great player, but had a great career. Can't knock that. But I don't think he could be listed as one of the greats of the game as many are claiming.

It is a very British thing to count effort as more important than ability. Whereas Holland had Cruyff and France had Platini as heroes, England hold a special place for Terry Butcher and Paul Ince because they bled for the cause.

Beckham plays the media game like only he can just ahead of his TV programme airing

would there be a more beautiful sight in football than DBeck taking the field for England in a Brazil World Cup?

I think not

Back