• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

We are good enough to get into the position as we had (past tense) a good team and a manager that somehow made the sum of the collective even better than the individual parts. The problem is that the most important games come at the business end of seasons and by the business end of seasons we are generally running on empty because the chairman doesn't equip the manager with a big enough squad of quality. I think we'd probably have to go back to Redknapp to think of a time when we had a very good second string and it has weakened since then. Even then Harry wanted a couple more quality players for a real push at the title that January and instead got a couple of old man freebies instead.

I'm not sure whether you realised or not but Liverpool finished that season with many, many more points than us and beat us in both league games. They then went on to win the league at a canter the following season. Liverpool did this because they were better than us. Even considering that in the final we were probably marginally actually the better the team (although it was hard to tell really as the early goal probably impacted their tactics from then on). We were actually better than Liverpool for a few years under Pochettino but unfortuntaley Liverpool's owners did what ours should've done and backed their manager by going out and getting the manager's first choice targets (a couple of which were also our first choice targets). Two of Liverpool's players on our team instead in that CL final would perhaps have seen us being European champions that year. Sliding doors moments....

Battle of bridge..... why was that 'bottling it'? Chelsea brought on a brilliant player in Hazard who scored a brilliant goal. That Chelsea team then won the league at a canter the following season.... they had a bigger, better squad than we did, just as every single proper big club in Europe does. Some clubs have owners who prioritise winning things, some clubs have owners who's ambition is to try to compete. We're in the latter category unfortunately. It therefore takes a HUGE overperformance from our entire football setup to overachieve enough to get over the line.

Liverpool sold one of their best players and brought in two players with that money.
You don't want us to sell Kane but want us to spend £150m on the squad.

Liverpool sold one of their best players and brought in two players with that money.
You don't want us to sell Kane but want us to spend £150m on the squad.
I have never said that I don't want us to sell Kane. I think it is a massive shame that several years of poor decisions from the top have led to Harry Kane believing that he is far more likely to be able to win trophies by moving from Spurs than staying at Spurs and in an ideal World (one where we have owners who would invest to try to improve the team) I'd love us to keep him.

Unfortunately though I think at present we desperately need the money to partake in the rebuild of a squad that was neglected for too long and then subject of some poor recruitment decisions since then (both in terms of players and managers).

1. Have a bigger, better squad. Teams win games, squads win championships.

2. (Sometimes) Put less emphasis on the league to put all efforts into winning a cup. Several teams who have won Cups in recent times have done so at expense of league finish. I don't think our chairman would allow that.... Top 4 is king for him as it's worth more money).

3. Have the priority set from the top that winning trophies is more important than top 4 finishes (i.e. bonus structure where winning a trophy is bigger than simply finishing in the top 4). We had a scenario this year where it seems the chairman sacked the manager just before the League Cup final as it meant the severance terms would've been bigger had we won the trophy. That immediately shows us that a smaller compensation package to the manager is more important than winning a trophy to Daniel Levy and/or Joe Lewis.
So you don't want top 4 and the money it brings to be the priority, but you want money to be spent on a bigger and better squad. Makes sense...

Right back were we started now hey Danny, and a billion in debt. But hey Joe's investment has increased. True we have a pretty new event space, and a temp clueless 29 year Old running the team. And you've almost single handily destroyed our brand. Yet some crazy pricks defend you and accuse others of vendetta's.

So you don't want top 4 and the money it brings to be the priority, but you want money to be spent on a bigger and better squad. Makes sense...
Again, I didn’t say that. I talked about why some teams that we were able to finish above were able to win trophies in that time.

CL is the only way a club ever gets money, don'tcha know. And has been for all 150 years of football's history. Nope, no other way. Nada. :p

But seriously - enjoy today, mate. I'll be back to arguing with you, @parklane1 et al about these tossers we have for owners tomorrow - for today, let's just enjoy the finale of one of the greatest players we've had at the club, finishing above that lot, and ruining Leicester's party, just a little. ;)

No
They played the same team
And the league cup was middle of the season then
Yep.... exactly... you make my point for me. They played the same team so the team was more fatigued in the league. Most of the smaller teams play weakened teams in the cups as they cannot afford their league performances to drop.

Of course you also need a bit of luck to win a cup. We’ve rarely, if ever had that, until this season maybe when we got our bye and also only had one PL team to play on the way to the final.... Not sure any other chairman in the country would sack their experienced manager in the week of the final with nobody other than a 29 year old with zero management experience lined up to replace him?... That was surely as clear a message as you could ever give that our chairman puts money over trophies?

Yep.... exactly... you make my point for me. They played the same team so the team was more fatigued in the league. Most of the smaller teams play weakened teams in the cups as they cannot afford their league performances to drop.
But they won a cup
They won a trophy
And theh didn’t have fatigue when they won the trophy
Which was your argument

But they won a cup
They won a trophy
And theh didn’t have fatigue when they won the trophy
Which was your argument
Well the League Cup was played earlier so they weren’t fatigued at that point like we are by the end of the season.... they sacrificed potential league points for a trophy.

Did any of them sack their manager in the week leading up to a final?

Well the League Cup was played earlier so they weren’t fatigued at that point like we are by the end of the season.... they sacrificed potential league points for a trophy.

Did any of them sack their manager in the week leading up to a final?
No
That’s a different thing
We’re we fatigued when we lost league cup finals?

Back