• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

dubai - good ponts but I'm talking more about glass ceilings than I am where they started from - a lot more room to grow to a position to compete at the top in Germany/Italy/France where there are no/few dominant clubs than in the PL where even the smallest of the top four clubs have almost double our resources...

Yeah, you're partially right there: the PL's dynamics are (well, were) somewhat different in terms of having a rather sharp decline in quality between fourth and fifth, no doubt. And that undoubtedly creates fewer avenues for growth, since there are four clubs at the top instead of one/two in the cases of these other leagues. I get what you're saying. And yet... would you say that overcoming such obstacles is really a feat equivalent to taking a mid-table second division side to the top of French football for seven straight years, or breaking Bayern's dominance after nearly going bankrupt a decade earlier, or selling teams full of stars and losing great manager after great manager but still maintaining an enormously successful sell-to-buy model?

I think the essential point (that you sort of pointed out yourself) is that, even if you do hold the PL to be a greater challenge than these other leagues, at best, you can say that Levy is *among* the best at what he does. But he's not so far out ahead of everyone else ('best chairman in the game!', and all that) as to be absolutely unique among football chairmen, many of whom are also absolutely, spectacularly good at what they do. Whichever way you blow, it's important to keep that in mind, at least: if we often underrate Danny boy (and I can do little but guiltily hold my hand up at this :p ), then it's also the case that we sometimes overestimate him.

Let's not go overboard, here. Good, certainly. Great? Somewhat debatable, but some people do take that position, fair play to 'em.

Best? In the entire world? Probably not.

He does very consistently get opposition fans gurning in anger, though. Which is a fantastic thing, since it means he's telling them and their bags of money to go f*ck themselves and they tend not be able to stand it.

I try my hardest to ignore this stuff, but, hey, might as well try again: Christ, let it go, man. The narrative this entire second half of the season has been a build-up between the optimists who think the title is there for the taking and the pessimists who are thankful that we're looking like a good bet for CL football next season (me included), which is a good achievement in itself as far as I'm concerned.

This stuff is just knocking down strawmen with what I suspect is practiced ease. You're actually less rabid about it than some other obvious local *luminaries* (which is why I'm even bothering in the first place), but it's still just setting up targets that don't exist so you can wave your 'I'm a better supporter than everyone here' board again. You don't need to do it.

On that you are right ( bolded bit), I made the mistake of assuming that others would get what I meant ( he is the best around in this country), but I can see how some could have read it that way and I accept that it was a mistake by me not to claify my point. I have no idea if he is the best in the world as it compering chalk to cheese as others have already pointed out to you.

As for your ridiculous statement ('I'm a better supporter than everyone here') then you are talking rubbish ( once again). I do love you replys mate I really do ( honest) its like reading War and peace and getting excited at the end that its all over :p

On that you are right ( bolded bit), I made the mistake of assuming that others would get what I meant ( he is the best around in this country), but I can see how some could have read it that way and I accept that it was a mistake by me not to claify my point. I have no idea if he is the best in the world as it compering chalk to cheese as others have already pointed out to you.

Sure. I can agree that he's probably the best in the league. There are other candidates further afield, though.

As for your ridiculous statement ('I'm a better supporter than everyone here') then you are talking rubbish ( once again). I do love you replys mate I really do ( honest) its like reading War and peace and getting excited at the end that its all over :p

Sigh. Carry on, carry on. Forget I said anything. But the next time you pop up decrying someone post-match for being upset, or when you rush to castigate some imaginary crowd you believe will turn on Levy if we don't win the title, a little introspection on what your motivations are wouldn't hurt.

These are very difficult to pronounce foreign sounding names.
You can't compare our Daniel to these guys. ;)

:eek:Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha..

Has he been mentioned?
Took over Leicester City in the summer of 2010 and by October were bottom of the championship.

Perhaps he just got lucky?

:eek:Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha..

Has he been mentioned?
Took over Leicester City in the summer of 2010 and by October were bottom of the championship.

Perhaps he just got lucky?

With a name like that he should not have been allowed to take over an English club - unless he changed his name
to Vichi Shri, Chai Dan, Vis Hana or something similar. Or Vincent Smith ;)

Yeah, you're partially right there: the PL's dynamics are (well, were) somewhat different in terms of having a rather sharp decline in quality between fourth and fifth, no doubt. And that undoubtedly creates fewer avenues for growth, since there are four clubs at the top instead of one/two in the cases of these other leagues. I get what you're saying. And yet... would you say that overcoming such obstacles is really a feat equivalent to taking a mid-table second division side to the top of French football for seven straight years, or breaking Bayern's dominance after nearly going bankrupt a decade earlier, or selling teams full of stars and losing great manager after great manager but still maintaining an enormously successful sell-to-buy model?

I think the essential point (that you sort of pointed out yourself) is that, even if you do hold the PL to be a greater challenge than these other leagues, at best, you can say that Levy is *among* the best at what he does. But he's not so far out ahead of everyone else ('best chairman in the game!', and all that) as to be absolutely unique among football chairmen, many of whom are also absolutely, spectacularly good at what they do. Whichever way you blow, it's important to keep that in mind, at least: if we often underrate Danny boy (and I can do little but guiltily hold my hand up at this :p ), then it's also the case that we sometimes overestimate him.

If it hadn't been for two clubs invoking cheat mode, we'd have been a lot more successful in the last decade.

If it hadn't been for two clubs invoking cheat mode, we'd have been a lot more successful in the last decade.

Exactly, I appreciate Dubai's view, but make no mistake, without Cheat$ki's & Citi's money doping, history would have been very different.

I'd argue Spurs would easily have been a CL regular at this point with a few more trophies in the cabinet.

Levy has had to deal with two cheat mode clubs, the loss of numerous world class players and staff (FA) via poaching, and a manager being distracted at moment of glory by country (HR).

Add in the need to rebuild the club's infrastructure to allow us to compete, the last 7 years results have been outstanding on and off the pitch.

To achieve all of that and have a side that is a joy to watch and has players and a manager that makes us proud is a great achievement.

Exactly, I appreciate Dubai's view, but make no mistake, without Cheat$ki's & Citi's money doping, history would have been very different.

I'd argue Spurs would easily have been a CL regular at this point with a few more trophies in the cabinet.

Levy has had to deal with two cheat mode clubs, the loss of numerous world class players and staff (FA) via poaching, and a manager being distracted at moment of glory by country (HR).

Add in the need to rebuild the club's infrastructure to allow us to compete, the last 7 years results have been outstanding on and off the pitch.

To achieve all of that and have a side that is a joy to watch and has players and a manager that makes us proud is a great achievement.
Great post mate. You forgot about the lasagne poisoning.

At least we're arguing about if Levy is the best around or "just" the best in the league...

For me, saying that Levy is among the best at what he does is a fair assessment. There's no one around I would swap him with (Levy being proven at Spurs and all that), and I will miss him when he's gone.

At least we're arguing about if Levy is the best around or "just" the best in the league...

For me, saying that Levy is among the best at what he does is a fair assessment. There's no one around I would swap him with (Levy being proven at Spurs and all that), and I will miss him when he's gone.

Could not agree more, one of the main reasons we are were we are is the appointing of Levy as chairman and the progress we have made from the dark days of the 90's.

I don't think that it really matters if Daniel Levy is the best chairman in the world or in this country. What matters is that he is making a tangible difference to Spurs and improving us year on year which is a hard ask. I don't think comparing us with other chairmen in other leagues is comparing like for like. We have financially doped clubs in this country, as well as pretty well established "big" clubs which make it more difficult to "achieve success" than in other leagues. Spain has the top 2 (now maybe 3) meaning that there was always a CL position to realistically aim for. Germany has Bayern meaning that there are 3 other spaces to go for. Getting Juventus back to the top of Italian football is impressive, but not as impressive as breaking into the top clubs in UK imho.

Defining success is also quite important as people have very different views. For me, we are THE club that has managed to successfully consistently challenge the top 4 clubs for a good number of years. We are one of only a few teams that has consistently had truly world class players outside of the champions league. Compare the club now to the one that Levy purchased all those years ago and there is no comparison. Structurally we have a completely different ethos. We have the best training facilities in the country and probably one of the best in the world. We have an academy that has produced more top level EPL stars than most others. We have a scouting system that, although much maligned, has managed to unearth quality players over and over again despite a high turnover of managers and DoFs.

I don't care if Levy is the best chairman in the world. He is the best chairman for us and what we are trying to do, and under him we have continually progressed season upon season even if we have not won much. The EPL is ruthlessly competitive meaning getting one manager to achieve consistent success is practically impossible. To achieve it with a high turnover of manager is even more impressive. Look at LVG. He has had success everywhere he has been and yet cannot manage it here despite having huge advantage over the amounts that he could spend.

Like others, I'm glad that Levy is not a soft touch. I'm glad that he has gone against the grain and utilised a DoF system. I'm glad that he has the balls to challenge another club being given a stadium. I'm ecstatic that he has the balls to challenge the so called bigger clubs and strive for us to be better than them. He dares and he is doing.

Eminently fair. I'd personally disagree and argue that he's good, with being 'the best' yet to be determined, but it's small slivers of opinions that we're coming down to disagreeing on.

[Pochettino] himself sounds bullish about the future, “When you compare Tottenham with big sides, people can see our approach is for the long term. We have the youngest squad in the Premier League, yet here we are fighting for the title. The project is fantastic, because we are ahead of the programme – we are only going to get better.”

fudge me ... people talk about buying/selling .. here's where the stacked deck is (quote from above link)

Tottenham’s wage bill rose vey slightly by £0.4 million from £100.4 million to £100.8 million, reducing the wages to turnover ratio from 56% to 51%, the lowest since the 46% achieved in 2008. Wages have only risen by a cumulative £10 million (11%) in the last five years, which is a striking demonstration of Spurs’ ability to control costs.

Tottenham’s wage bill is much lower than the top five clubs: Chelsea £216 million, Manchester United £203 million, Emirates Marketing Project £194 million, Arsenal £192 million and Liverpool £166 million. In other words, Tottenham have largely performed in line with expectation, though are punching above their weight this season.

and just have to ask ... who the fudge is Pool paying all that money to?

fudge me ... people talk about buying/selling .. here's where the stacked deck is (quote from above link)

Tottenham’s wage bill rose vey slightly by £0.4 million from £100.4 million to £100.8 million, reducing the wages to turnover ratio from 56% to 51%, the lowest since the 46% achieved in 2008. Wages have only risen by a cumulative £10 million (11%) in the last five years, which is a striking demonstration of Spurs’ ability to control costs.

Tottenham’s wage bill is much lower than the top five clubs: Chelsea £216 million, Manchester United £203 million, Emirates Marketing Project £194 million, Arsenal £192 million and Liverpool £166 million. In other words, Tottenham have largely performed in line with expectation, though are punching above their weight this season.

and just have to ask ... who the fudge is Pool paying all that money to?

Brendan Rodgers and Mario Balotelli

Back