• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

It's Levy's job to deliver the environment where trophies can be won and to secure the long term future of the club. That's what decides if he is a failure or not.

The long term future of the club is more or less secured with the new stadium, the commercial growth he's over seen and the future growth the stadium should give.

As for the environment to win trophies, a top class training ground, a manager that has won everywhere he's been and probably the strongest squad that we've had since the 80's have all been provided. Now that the finances are stronger, he can probably lossen the purse strings a bit more (first steps in this area taken in the summer).

So no, he won't be seen as a failure if trophies aren't delivered, he's held up his end so far, with maybe a few more small steps needed.

He picks said managers, it can't be always some else's fault.
It some stage the common denominationer is Levy.

He has put everything in place, if it fails who takes the blame?

All hypothetical of course, all I'm saying is that this is it now, he needs it to make it work.
Elite manager, world class squad, best stadium in the world.
They haven't been assembled to play Thursday night football and win a league Cup every couple of years.

I don't think they are necessarily good comparisons though mate. Dele and Dier would be relatively cheap packages for transfer and wages and they were the sort of punts Levy was good at. I don't think any one can criticise him for those. Son, more expensive transfer fee but I suspect lower wages. Again a talented prospect not proven PL. Mane is in a different league and exactly the sort of League that we need to be in to compete for the big trophies. Proven PL and high transfer fee and wages.

Now, I admire Levy's financial prudence and it has sustained the long term health of the club. But that prudence means managers have to over reach, to achieve what Poch did for example. Of course once Poch attained that level, he raised expectations and fans felt he needed to maintain that level every season. Despite not competing on the same financial level as rivals. If there was a drop back that was the end of Poch. But no similar criticism of Levy.
You miss the point I was making completely. It was strictly in reply to @glasgowspur and his argument that if we didn't sign xyz player we'd should have obtained Mane. My point was solely if you pick 3 players that, in hindsight, were relative failures to support your argument, I could equally pick 3 players that were successful signings, that in hindsight would make the missing out on Mane not so bad.

Nothing about Levy or the way we operate. Just a point of order:)

I think we tend to exaggerate Levy's management of the football side. When I started supporting Spurs in 1980 we were probably the 3rd best club around. We were on a par with Utd in those days, with Liverpool out on their own. Then we had the mismanagement of the 1990s and we dropped down until Enic took over. But we were not some lower league minnows. Given the wages we paid and turnover 5th/6th is about about par. Poch made us punch above our weight getting 2nds and 3rds and getting to European cup finals.

There is no doubt though that Levy is an astute businessman and fantastic on the money side, maximising turnover and building the brand. This is where he excels and it's here that he has given us an advantage over the likes of Villa and Everton.
As I've said a couple of times we had the 5th biggest turnover in England when Levy took over and have the 6th biggest turnover now (although this year we may usurp Arsenal and be up to 5th again).

You miss the point I was making completely. It was strictly in reply to @glasgowspur and his argument that if we didn't sign xyz player we'd should have obtained Mane. My point was solely if you pick 3 players that, in hindsight, were relative failures to support your argument, I could equally pick 3 players that were successful signings, that in hindsight would make the missing out on Mane not so bad.

Nothing about Levy or the way we operate. Just a point of order:)
Sorry mate read your post in isolation didn't follow the thread.

Not much Levy can do about Chelsea and City winning the lottery and in fairness he has tried, and done a damn good job of keeping up with them.
As I have said before if you look at Net spend and wages the things that Levy is responsible for we lag behind our rivals, so in a football sense if we were keeping up that is down to Poch's football acumen.

Where Levy is impressive is his financial and off field acumen. The infrastructure that he has improved, the sponsorship he has brought in and the brand management.

As I have said before if you look at Net spend and wages the things that Levy is responsible for we lag behind our rivals, so in a football sense if we were keeping up that is down to Poch's football acumen.

Where Levy is impressive is his financial and off field acumen. The infrastructure that he has improved, the sponsorship he has bought in and the brand management.
I think infrastructure (particularly the training ground), transfer policy (primarily a longer term focus) and wage management has been very important factors in us outperforming our financial starting point over some time. Pochettino has of course made a massive impact on top of that.

I think infrastructure (particularly the training ground), transfer policy (primarily a longer term focus) and wage management has been very important factors in us outperforming our financial starting point over some time. Pochettino has of course made a massive impact on top of that.
I think the transfer policy has been forced by the way Levy manages the purse strings. Of course we have had some success with long term prospects such as Bale and Dele but there have been far more duds, Huddlestone, Ziegler, Njie Nkoudou to name a few.

Overall I wouldn't say this policy has been a success. We need a more ambitious transfer policy like we had last summer to really challenge the big boys or we will remain also-rans.

I think the transfer policy has been forced by the way Levy manages the purse strings. Of course we have had some success with long term prospects such as Bale and Dele but there have been far more duds, Huddlestone, Ziegler, Njie Nkoudou to name a few.

Overall I wouldn't say this policy has been a success. We need a more ambitious transfer policy like we had last summer to really challenge the big boys or we will remain also-rans.
For sure Huddlestone was never top drawer but 200+ appearances for us plus a League Cup Winners medal says he was far from being a dud.

Besides, every club has it's share of lemons. Just for fun I googled the other top six for comparison:

Man U: Sanchez, Di Maria, Mhkitaryan, Schneiderlin, Fred, Darmian, Blind, Taibi, Lindgaard, Veron, Djemba Djemba, Bosnich, Forlan, Poborski, Kleberson and for the money, Pogba

Chelsea: Shevchenko, Falcao, Torres, Sidwell, Mutu, Sutton, Kezman

Arse: Pepe, Lehmann, Denilsen, Arshavin, Gervinho, Squillaci, Jeffers, Santos

Liverpool: Carroll, Koncheski, Downing, Adam, Kewell, a certain Robbie Keane :eek: :D

Man C: Robinho, Lescott, Mangala, Adebayor, Boateng, Weah, Jo, Bony, Rodwell, Scott Sinclair

Why decisions are made

I think this specific one was also made for selling reasons. Do you not think perhaps Less has told Levy that with the amazon exposure plus NFL stuff, get Mourinho in and let's sell for 2 billion or some ridiculous number? I'll bet that is at the core of the gamble.

According to the Daily Star on Sunday, however, former Everton boss Martinez was interested in becoming the new Spurs boss and was considering leaving his post with Belgium, despite the Red Devils being one of the favourites to win next summer’s European Championships.

The newspaper adds that Martinez was always keen on leaving international management and returning to a club role if the right job presented itself, with the Spurs post said to be of immediate interest to the Spaniard.

It is claimed that Martinez was one of the candidates under consideration by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy – who is an admirer of his work – but due to Mourinho making it clear that he wanted the job, Martinez and Spurs never scheduled formal talks.

:eek:

According to the Daily Star on Sunday, however, former Everton boss Martinez was interested in becoming the new Spurs boss and was considering leaving his post with Belgium, despite the Red Devils being one of the favourites to win next summer’s European Championships.

The newspaper adds that Martinez was always keen on leaving international management and returning to a club role if the right job presented itself, with the Spurs post said to be of immediate interest to the Spaniard.

It is claimed that Martinez was one of the candidates under consideration by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy – who is an admirer of his work – but due to Mourinho making it clear that he wanted the job, Martinez and Spurs never scheduled formal talks.

Dodged a bullet there.

The list of managers who wouldn’t have left their current job to take over at Spurs is a very very short one.

I don’t believe for a second Levy would consider Martinez, would be a Sherwood level appt.

The list of managers who wouldn’t have left their current job to take over at Spurs is a very very short one.

I don’t believe for a second Levy would consider Martinez, would be a Sherwood level appt.
Unless your a paper creating column inches
The mail are adamant we wanted Brenton but it was too hard a deal to do.... if we wanted him he would be here, simple as as that. His contract is not mega and we would pay it off and he would come. And he would love the chance to manage a BIG club again a venue though everything* looks great currently at Leicester

I think this specific one was also made for selling reasons. Do you not think perhaps Less has told Levy that with the amazon exposure plus NFL stuff, get Mourinho in and let's sell for 2 billion or some ridiculous number? I'll bet that is at the core of the gamble.

I've been thinking along the same lines, that this could be part of the ENIC endgame. I reckon they may have just brought it forward a season or two.

Back