• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Is this the most challenging time for Levy in his chairmanship?

He's swimming with the big sharks now; Mourinho, Mendez, Pini zahavi.

Expectations from the fan base appear to be"trophy or bust".

Sympathy for the low wage budget is gone with the new stadium.

Credit with the fans is strained following the removal of a very popular manager.

The asset value of the squad has decreased by maybe 100mil with contracts running out? We don't have cash injections to put this back; we're gonna be down a star player for a long while compared to where we were before.

If Mourinho doesn't get backed financially, pundits won't blame him because they will say a leopard doesn't change its spots and levy well knew his man before he came.

I think he can do it; and at the same time it won't be a cakewalk for him.

Sent from my GM1910 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I’m very happy with Levy, it’s not trophy or bust for me, all I want is to be challenging for the title and the Champions League.

Is this the most challenging time for Levy in his chairmanship?

He's swimming with the big sharks now; Mourinho, Mendez, Pini zahavi.

Expectations from the fan base appear to be"trophy or bust".

Sympathy for the low wage budget is gone with the new stadium.

Credit with the fans is strained following the removal of a very popular manager.

The asset value of the squad has decreased by maybe 100mil with contracts running out? We don't have cash injections to put this back; we're gonna be down a star player for a long while compared to where we were before.

If Mourinho doesn't get backed financially, pundits won't blame him because they will say a leopard doesn't change its spots and levy well knew his man before he came.

I think he can do it; and at the same time it won't be a cakewalk for him.

Sent from my GM1910 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

This is it for Levy, its time to walk the walk.
The exposure is brilliant when going well, what happens if it doesn't.
There is absolutely no excuse for him now.
Elite manager
Top squad (he seems to think so)
Best stadium in the world
Growth everywhere you look.
A league cup now and again or EL games aren't enough now, this stadium, manager and squad weren't built for that, we should be challenging for the big trophies.
Note I've said challenging, not winning.

If we don't achieve that he will be a failure.
Harsh, but true Im afraid.

Elite manager
A league cup now and again or EL games aren't enough now, this stadium, manager and squad weren't built for that, we should be challenging for the big trophies.

I don’t think anyone is more aware of that than Levy, he is the architect, we were a million miles away from all of those things when he took over.

I don’t think anyone is more aware of that than Levy, he is the architect, we were a million miles away from all of those things when he took over.

My only worry is that it has happened 12/18 months earlier than he anticipated.
Do we have the cash to splash?
Will Jose hang around if we don't?
The fallout and the perception of this could be huge.
If this fails it really will fall on him now, obviously I really hope it doesn't for the clubs sake but also his. After all he has done for the club it would be terrible to see his reputation tarnished like that.

My only worry is that it has happened 12/18 months earlier than he anticipated.
Do we have the cash to splash?
Will Jose hang around if we don't?
The fallout and the perception of this could be huge.
If this fails it really will fall on him now, obviously I really hope it doesn't for the clubs sake but also his. After all he has done for the club it would be terrible to see his reputation tarnished like that.

I don’t think we’ll ever “splash” cash, the methodology won’t change, the higher income will service higher salaries and fee’s but no more than we can afford. Look how far that’s taken us, it would be insane to change the plan now.

Jose will only be here for a while, there will be another manager after that, and another after that.

How do you define fail?

I think we tend to exaggerate Levy's management of the football side. When I started supporting Spurs in 1980 we were probably the 3rd best club around. We were on a par with Utd in those days, with Liverpool out on their own. Then we had the mismanagement of the 1990s and we dropped down until Enic took over. But we were not some lower league minnows. Given the wages we paid and turnover 5th/6th is about about par. Poch made us punch above our weight getting 2nds and 3rds and getting to European cup finals.

There is no doubt though that Levy is an astute businessman and fantastic on the money side, maximising turnover and building the brand. This is where he excels and it's here that he has given us an advantage over the likes of Villa and Everton.

I think we tend to exaggerate Levy's management of the football side. When I started supporting Spurs in 1980 we were probably the 3rd best club around. We were on a par with Utd in those days, with Liverpool out on their own. Then we had the mismanagement of the 1990s and we dropped down until Enic took over. But we were not some lower league minnows. Given the wages we paid and turnover 5th/6th is about about par. Poch made us punch above our weight getting 2nds and 3rds and getting to European cup finals.

There is no doubt though that Levy is an astute businessman and fantastic on the money side, maximising turnover and building the brand. This is where he excels and it's here that he has given us an advantage over the likes of Villa and Everton.

I disagree, I think Poch had us punching at the weight Levy made possible.

Wasn’t the story at the time that we were in for him but Liverpool were paying 3 times what we offering?

no
They were paying him £130 a week which was a lot more than any of our proven players were earning. You bring him in and pay that and you then have others wanting even more

I disagree, I think Poch had us punching at the weight Levy made possible.
By spending a net of £18million in 5 seasons and having, according to @Finney Is Back, only the 6th highest wage bill, that is difficult to make a compelling argument for though. Remember when Poch picked up the team in 2014 we were in quite a mess.

Life's easy looking thru the rear view mirror.

How about....if we didn't sign Dele, Dier and Son we c.ould of got Mane?
I don't think they are necessarily good comparisons though mate. Dele and Dier would be relatively cheap packages for transfer and wages and they were the sort of punts Levy was good at. I don't think any one can criticise him for those. Son, more expensive transfer fee but I suspect lower wages. Again a talented prospect not proven PL. Mane is in a different league and exactly the sort of League that we need to be in to compete for the big trophies. Proven PL and high transfer fee and wages.

Now, I admire Levy's financial prudence and it has sustained the long term health of the club. But that prudence means managers have to over reach, to achieve what Poch did for example. Of course once Poch attained that level, he raised expectations and fans felt he needed to maintain that level every season. Despite not competing on the same financial level as rivals. If there was a drop back that was the end of Poch. But no similar criticism of Levy.

By spending a net of £18million in 5 seasons and having, according to @Finney Is Back, only the 6th highest wage bill, that is difficult to make a compelling argument for though. Remember when Poch picked up the team in 2014 we were in quite a mess.

All the more impressive imo, I think the squad was good, mishandled somewhat by timmeh, most of the core of Poch’s great teams were already here when he joined iirc

Elite manager

It's Levy's job to deliver the environment where trophies can be won and to secure the long term future of the club. That's what decides if he is a failure or not.

The long term future of the club is more or less secured with the new stadium, the commercial growth he's over seen and the future growth the stadium should give.

As for the environment to win trophies, a top class training ground, a manager that has won everywhere he's been and probably the strongest squad that we've had since the 80's have all been provided. Now that the finances are stronger, he can probably lossen the purse strings a bit more (first steps in this area taken in the summer).

So no, he won't be seen as a failure if trophies aren't delivered, he's held up his end so far, with maybe a few more small steps needed.

Back