• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Also if Cav has to leave, where could he potentially go? Are there many potential teams that would love to build a team around him like he had at HTC?

I don't know exactly where he would go, it all depends on which other sprinters stay with thier teams, but most teams would love to have him. He's the best in the world, plenty of teams aren't in serious competition for the GC and would be willing to build around him, he needs a team with a good lead out group though

Great summary!

Chich, What are your predictions for next year?

Is it a definate that the course won't be one that Wiggins could win on?

If so, is Froome good enough to potentially win? Will Schleck and Contador be back and would they be favourites ahead of him?

The course for the next year is usually announced late October(around my birthday, often on it) Prudhomme who holds to much power but i guess that goes with being race director has said he liked the idea of having high mountains for next year.

He also in recent seasons has changed the long held tradition of having completely flat stages in the first week because of how Cavendish was dominating the sprints. That is why in recent seasons we have had sharp climbs towards the end of the sprints.

Not sure how in future seasons he will stop Sagan dominating but maybe Sagan will have different objectives in the future.

I think as Froome is better in the high mountains and would be able to respond better to the attacks of contador and schleck then he would be given the nod seeing as there time trialing ability is similar.

Think contador would be favorite for next years tour he really is a brilliant climber if sadly also a bit of a ****. Schleck has a mental block with his time trailing and even crashed in one just before the tour started, he got back on his bike but was seen shouting with tears in his eyes at his team boss who told him to finish the race, all is not well in that team if you ask me.

My prediction for next year will be that it will be all change. I think brailsford will realise that Froome is his best chance of getting a winner again he will tell Wiggins he has to race for him, i think to be fair Wiggins will do this as he knows his limitations. If sky keep a hold of porte and rodgers and use robeto uran next year they will still have a strong enough team to help froome try and win.

Think we will see Evans ride for tejay van garderen and he could well be very good, maybe a year or two to soon for him. Sagan i imagine will try and win the sprints again but he may also test himself more in the mountains because at the moment i doubt even he knows how good he could be, it is scary but we maybe seeing a once in a lifetime cyclist in him, someone that can actually do everything, or maybe not.

I hope so it may cloud my judgement but i hope that Cavendish leaves sky and goes to a team that can allow him to sprint for the green jersey and multiple stage wins like he deserves. For that to happen the team needs to be a "sprint team" a team that has no ambitions to win the tour overall, then they would be made up of 3 or 4 strong guys that can work onfront of the pelton to bring back breakaways then he needs 2 or 3 guys to set him up for the sprints, the last person to launch him needs to be someone who is nearly a top class sprinter themselves like renshaw when he was at HTC. Ben swift could fill this role or even Geriant Thomas.

Riders like Thomas may wish to leave sky if they do not get the chance to go for the wins they wish, how Cavendish has kept his team mates happy in the past was by giving them free reign to go for other victories in the classic races.

Cavendish has also said how he wants to respect the history of cycling and also make history i think he wants the points jersey in the giro tour of italy, it does usually go to a sprinter but an all round man as that is such a hilly tour, i think he will try for that again next year. He lives out in italy and trains on those roads.

I hope that Tony Martin recovers and shows what a top class ride he is, i really like him and have a lot of time for him, he is so powerful it is awesome to watch.

Great summary!

Chich, What are your predictions for next year?

Is it a definate that the course won't be one that Wiggins could win on?

If so, is Froome good enough to potentially win? Will Schleck and Contador be back and would they be favourites ahead of him?

Froome if he's still at Sky next season will be sent to do the Giro. Wiggins will remain Sky's leader as he's the more marketable rider. If Froome is starting to kick up a fuss he wont even be allowed to go to the tour to upset the atmosphere. Sky have quality riders like Uran and Henao ready to take his place.
Froome then will be a proper contender only if he moves team. He wont be able to compete properly with the Giro in his legs.
Contador is the clear favourite. Wiggins will have the strongest team with him. I'm writing Schleck off because of his terrible time-trialling. His opportunity has come and gone last season.

It will all become clearer once they release the full route of the tour. The more mountaintop finishes there are, the more it will favour Contador.

Do the French like or hate Contador? If they hate the fact he failed drug tests then surely a lot of mountains would play in to his hands as you say.. compared to the admiration they had for Wiggins this year is there any possibility the Tour planners are as corrupt as Platini is and might not want to favour a Contador suited course?

Do the French like or hate Contador? If they hate the fact he failed drug tests then surely a lot of mountains would play in to his hands as you say.. compared to the admiration they had for Wiggins this year is there any possibility the Tour planners are as corrupt as Platini is and might not want to favour a Contador suited course?

Drug cheats should be banned for life.

The benefits of steroids and growth hormone etc are felt for years and years. Also, short term bans don't act as a deterent, people will continute to take chances on the chance they won't be caught.

The benefits of steroids and growth hormone etc are felt for years and years. Also, short term bans don't act as a deterent, people will continute to take chances on the chance they won't be caught.

I disagree with this, I think they should be moved off to their own "Drug Olympics" category. Imagine it, over muscled freaks absolutely killing every record we've ever held dear. And the real thrill would be whether they would make it over the finish line without their heart popping, or breaking down in tears in a steriod addled emotional wreck... Giants of men, blubbing like little girls or flying into a rage at the most mundane of things.

Filed Under: Awesomeness

I agree entirely. There is no incentive to be clean if athletes know that if they do cheat and get caught, then the punishment is just a short ban. It's a risk worth taking. I think it's appalling that Dwain Chambers is allowed to compete again. I don't care how remorseful he is, he cheated and has (effectively) gotten away with it.

Their admiration for Wiggins was mostly down to the fact he used to ride on a French team and speaks French. That's why they think of him as one of their own.

But next year's course will be all about it being the 100th Tour de France.

The problem in cycling is its so corrupt that you have to ask huge questions about who is getting caught and why.
The UCI, Armstrong and Bruyneel are all in commercial deals together.

Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Alexander Vinokourov, Alberto Contador and now Frank Schleck failed drug tests after crossing Bruyneel.

Schleck was suing Bruyneel over unpaid wages. His sample was sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Xipamide.
Contador fell out with Bruyneel during the 2009 tour when he wouldn't play lapdog to his teammate Armstrong. Less than one year later Contador's sample got sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Clenbuterol. The Court of Arbitration for Sport said that "the presence of clenbuterol was more likely caused by the ingestion of a contaminated food supplement". The amount of Clenbuterol was 40 times below the minimum WADA limit.

The whole thing stinks to me.

The problem in cycling is its so corrupt that you have to ask huge questions about who is getting caught and why.
The UCI, Armstrong and Bruyneel are all in commercial deals together.

Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Alexander Vinokourov, Alberto Contador and now Frank Schleck failed drug tests after crossing Bruyneel.

Schleck was suing Bruyneel over unpaid wages. His sample was sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Xipamide.
Contador fell out with Bruyneel during the 2009 tour when he wouldn't play lapdog to his teammate Armstrong. Less than one year later Contador's sample got sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Clenbuterol. The Court of Arbitration for Sport said that "the presence of clenbuterol was more likely caused by the ingestion of a contaminated food supplement". The amount of Clenbuterol was 40 times below the minimum WADA limit.

The whole thing stinks to me.

Been reading the online forums mate? Way too many conspiracy theories for me there!!

I agree entirely. There is no incentive to be clean if athletes know that if they do cheat and get caught, then the punishment is just a short ban. It's a risk worth taking. I think it's appalling that Dwain Chambers is allowed to compete again. I don't care how remorseful he is, he cheated and has (effectively) gotten away with it.

Well he gave his best years away to a ban and he was probably quicker clean as a junior!!

But I take your point........the issue with the BOA ban is that the whole of the IOC affiliated countries don't do the same.

Been reading the online forums mate? Way too many conspiracy theories for me there!!

The best anti doping journalist of the last 20 years David Walsh sums it up here

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/david-walsh

"The heads of the Tour de France and the heads of the UCI and all those guys, they did go after people. But they went after the small guys. And if they found a small guy, they generally presented him as the one bad apple in the box. And it was their way of saying, "Remember folks, only the small guys dope. Our great champions, they would never do that."

And a string of great champions down through the years were given passes by the cycling authorities. "

I went for a bike ride today. Was my first bike ride in aaagggeeess [cycling to/from work doesn't count].

Took my beautiful, beautiful mountain bike for a spin around Epping Forest. Figured the weather was lovely and the forest will be the driest it will for ages.. Still very muddy in places though.

It was so nice.

Me and the missus had a great day out to watch the olympic race come through Dorking (a minute before they got onto the Box Hill circuit). They were having a festival, it was a fantastic atmosphere, I really hope they will think about making that into an annual classic race as I am sure that us Surrey folk would tolerate that kind of diversion once a year.

Very disappointing feeling the race slip away, then to see Cancellara crash out of the leading group and that fiend winning, well, it cannot be allowed to end like that.

Growing culture of cycling down here now, and it is a very good thing.

Me and the missus had a great day out to watch the olympic race come through Dorking (a minute before they got onto the Box Hill circuit). They were having a festival, it was a fantastic atmosphere, I really hope they will think about making that into an annual classic race as I am sure that us Surrey folk would tolerate that kind of diversion once a year.

Definitely, Dorking is where I grew up. Don't suppose you took any pictures did you? Wouldnt mind seeing what the town looked like.

Back