• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

For most businesses and employees there just isn't a choice.

It's not an option to stay home unpaid and it's not an option to just shut the doors and not work. Far more people will be in a worse state if that happens.

Of course, I understand that there's an awful lot that will need to carry on as close to normally as possible. Even allowing for that, I find it hard to believe that what I saw today was anything close to a full effort at making reasonable adjustments.

To the bit in bold, we're not being asked to isolate (unless you or someone in your house has symptoms) thats what seems to be confusing people. Just avoiding non-essential contact for the time being. So yes, not going to the pub, not playing 5 a side, not going to play squash on a Thursday evening. All things I like to do but hey, life's going to be different and a bit brick for a while but if that means only 10s of thousands of people die and not 100s of thousands then so be it. I have a small business and there's been a massive drop off since the weekend but I'm going to have to cope just like everyone else
Going out for dinner is essential.

What's life without top quality food?

Of course, I understand that there's an awful lot that will need to carry on as close to normally as possible. Even allowing for that, I find it hard to believe that what I saw today was anything close to a full effort at making reasonable adjustments.
I guess reasonable is subjective.

The government made an announcement yesterday PM. Cafes and restaurants barely had time to readjust. With fresh food, staff Rita’s planned etc.hard to just flick a switch. I think it will change from end of the week/next week.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It’s an interesting moral quandary.

So even if there was demand (which you say there isn’t) you would turn customers away and just shut up shop?

First off, I'm not in the retail sector so the government measures don't affect me in that way - I'm guessing my business will pick up after this initial reaction - so I'm in a much more fortunate position than landlords, restaurant owners etc and I really feel for them. I admit it is a real issue and one the government has just addressed. But ultimately, this isn't being done one a whim or for no good reason, there would be huge implications if we carried on as normal

First off, I'm not in the retail sector so the government measures don't affect me in that way - I'm guessing my business will pick up after this initial reaction - so I'm in a much more fortunate position than landlords, restaurant owners etc and I really feel for them. I admit it is a real issue and one the government has just addressed. But ultimately, this isn't being done one a whim or for no good reason, there would be huge implications if we carried on as normal

It’s interesting.

On one side you have people saying it’s irresponsible to continue with business as usual. On the other hand it is essential there is some continuity, and business as usual. We need essential businesses that deliver core services, food, care.l etc. Even ‘non-core’ is complex to define. There are people I see in Jacks Cafe by my work who live off the food they provide. Disabled people for example who eat there every day.

Then on top of that you have Exchequer revenue. If your business stops functioning, along with others, government income will drop off a cliff. They need to pay nurses, buy new respirators etc etc

Printing money used to be something associated with failed States. Now it’s used yearly to prop up the world economy.

Crazy times.

We sent 100+ young PR execs home yesterday at a drop of a hat into the Abysss with worry about health life work and finances hanging over them. Now times that by the Uk working conditions and fear and I think Suicide from anxiety will be huge in the coming months

The government made an announcement yesterday PM. Cafes and restaurants barely had time to readjust. With fresh food, staff Rita’s planned etc.hard to just flick a switch. I think it will change from end of the week/next week.

The government here made the same choice at the end of a day last week to limit the time for pubs etc to close by 8pm, everywhere adjusted to that without to much hassle and then on Saturday they closed nearly everything - we just adapted.. Yes it's a pain, yes it will hurt a lot of businesses that rely on being open and yes the hotel industry amongst other have started to lay people off or advise to take their holiday/unpaid leave.

We're like this until 24th when hopefully it will resume a bit more per normality, but tbh I'm not wholly sure..

But currently we're at ¬360 infected and with the invoked draconian rules, honestly I'm glad this has been their approach.
Time will tell if it was a prudent move.

It’s interesting.

On one side you have people saying it’s irresponsible to continue with business as usual. On the other hand it is essential there is some continuity, and business as usual. We need essential businesses that deliver core services, food, care.l etc. Even ‘non-core’ is complex to define. There are people I see in Jacks Cafe by my work who live off the food they provide. Disabled people for example who eat there every day.

Then on top of that you have Exchequer revenue. If your business stops functioning, along with others, government income will drop off a cliff. They need to pay nurses, buy new respirators etc etc

Printing money used to be something associated with failed States. Now it’s used yearly to prop up the world economy.

Crazy times.

We definitely need continuity and it'll be interesting to see if the govt bring in the measures adopted by France, guess it'll depend on the severity of the bell curve. As you say, some people rely on services others would consider non-essential so it would be nice if flexibilty was allowed but they may feel even that poses too much of a risk

That’s as much of a guess as everything else here. It’s not out of the question - but neither is the discovery that an existing drug treats this well and aids recovery rates.

Truth is it’s all speculation - but then, that’s what this forum is built on, and why we all spend far too long on here.

Let's hope that you're right, no one will be planning on that basis though.

And perhaps soon to be a moot point, looking at many of our neighbours - the next step could well involve the government largely taking such decisions out of people's hands.
I guess that depends whether the govt wants them to catch a virus or starve.

It is discriminatory in the sense that if you are reckless enough to continually ignore the peril you will almost certainly catch it.

Conversely, one in five is modelled to never get this thing - even in the full unchecked scenario. Keep your distance, clean your hands and leave your orifices alone.

Life has changed for a while, let’s embrace it.

Bugger that. Life would not be worth living, just kill me now.

I'm very happy I live in Norway, where we have a strong economy, and a HUGE buffer in the form of the largest investment fund in the world. The government has put in place lots of measures to help especially SMB's, by postponing taxes +++ and an emergency package of 100 billion NOK. In addition, large corporations can get loans guaranteed by the state to keep running. They've also changed the rules for people who lose their jobs, both temporarily and permanently, so they get paid more for an extended period of time. But these are the kind of measures that need to be in place in order to get this quarantine to work, and to ensure that there are still jobs out there when this cools down.

Back