• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

What would be interesting - and governments must be doing this surely - is randomised testing of populations to see how prevalent the virus is in people who are not aware they have it.

We know that children hardly notice anything when they get it. We know that some (most fit) adults don't have severe symptoms. So is it possible you and I have it or have had the virus already?

I think this will prove to be the case and the mortality rate will eventually be shown to be a little bit below 1%.

There is a decent argument for getting it now. Get your immunity! If there are any complications you'll still get a hospital bed. Whereas in 3 months...

Other than age, it does seem arbitrary that some seem to get almost no symptoms while others get severe flu and pneumonia. Have there been reports of young fit Europeans who've had it bad?
Believe me, this is not something you want to risk getting! It's wrong that only old and people with other conditions get sick!
I've spoken with a friend of a friend who got it in Italy. He's just got out of hospital, after getting sick at the end of February. He's 40 years old, works out 4-5 times a week, and is fit as an athlete. He barely made it! He said it was like having a dump truck permanently parked on your chest. It was horrible, and he would not want it for his worst enemy. It can be really bad for healthy people too.
So you never know how it will affect you. Also, they're not certain if you get immune by having it. There are some reports of people catching it twice.

Or eugenics, as the Nazis called it.

Not really. The plan seems to be to protect the most vulnerable whilst trying to let the general population catch it in a controlled way. They are gambling on people only being able to catch it once and prevent having a high number of cases during flu season when ICU beds are near capacity.

Not really. The plan seems to be to protect the most vulnerable whilst trying to let the general population catch it in a controlled way. They are gambling on people only being able to catch it once and prevent having a high number of cases during flu season when ICU beds are near capacity.

Hmmmm. There’s a lot of ifs implicit in there - and the WHO definitely don’t think it’s the best approach.

Hmmmm. There’s a lot of ifs implicit in there - and the WHO definitely don’t think it’s the best approach.

It's a big jump from disagreeing on the best approach to saying that the government is intentionally setting out to kill the old and infirm.

Believe me, this is not something you want to risk getting! It's wrong that only old and people with other conditions get sick!
I've spoken with a friend of a friend who got it in Italy. He's just got out of hospital, after getting sick at the end of February. He's 40 years old, works out 4-5 times a week, and is fit as an athlete. He barely made it! He said it was like having a dump truck permanently parked on your chest. It was horrible, and he would not want it for his worst enemy. It can be really bad for healthy people too.
So you never know how it will affect you. Also, they're not certain if you get immune by having it. There are some reports of people catching it twice.

Point was - get it now and if there are complications you will get a hospital bed. However that is rare amongst healthy people. In a couple of months it is possible there will not be room to treat you, that was the point. You will have increased immunity even if you can get the virus again, your body will be better prepared at least in the short term and probably longer term too.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

There definitely seems to be an element of survival of the fittest about it.

I’m a Type 1 diabetic. I’m in good health but am told I have an increased risk of being vulnerable. As a teacher, I’m being put in a risky position by being asked to carry on working. There will be thousands of other people working in schools with underlying conditions. Almost every other nation affected is - in line with WHO advice -shutting their schools down while Boris wants us ‘To Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands.’

It’s all a bit odd at the very least. Anyhow, the government has promised that we’ll hear the more detailed science about the thinking in a couple of days.

Let’s hope it’s clearer than Boris’s post-Brexit plans.

The other things regarding immunity and how bad people get it - some may have had a different type of cold-like Coronavirus before. @Mikey10 one theory is those at school have built up immunity because they’ve had an insignificant cold like coronavirus before. This is just a theory, but would explain why the young don’t seem to be affected and why some get it bad. In other words, by working within schools you might have been serendipitously exposed and vaccinated! But it is just a theory. We don’t know yet.

The other things regarding immunity and how bad people get it - some may have had a different type of cold-like Coronavirus before. @Mikey10 one theory is those at school have built up immunity because they’ve had an insignificant cold like coronavirus before. This is just a theory, but would explain why the young don’t seem to be affected and why some get it bad. In other words, by working within schools you might have been serendipitously exposed and vaccinated! But it is just a theory. We don’t know yet.

That theory doesn't hold water. Adults and older people would have had more and various types of viruses before, so the immune system should be better.

There definitely seems to be an element of survival of the fittest about it.

I’m a Type 1 diabetic. I’m in good health but am told I have an increased risk of being vulnerable. As a teacher, I’m being put in a risky position by being asked to carry on working. There will be thousands of other people working in schools with underlying conditions. Almost every other nation affected is - in line with WHO advice -shutting their schools down while Boris wants us ‘To Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands.’

It’s all a bit odd at the very least. Anyhow, the government has promised that we’ll hear the more detailed science about the thinking in a couple of days.

Let’s hope it’s clearer than Boris’s post-Brexit plans.
Although I think they should shut schools (the Petri dish of the world:D) they are probably thinking (rightly or wrongly) the logistics of doing that and the knock on affect. All kids will need looking after, it's not gonna be the grandparents, so one or two parents are going to have to stay at home, both may work?. Of course it might dovetail with being told to work from home BUT the government will also be fearful of the knock on effect of the collapse of business/businesses, keeping the the country moving along and probably the daunting price of it all when it comes to sick pay, compensation and other pay outs just to keep everything going and smooth things out.

Of course all with the unknown scale of this in the weeks and months to come.

That theory doesn't hold water. Adults and older people would have had more and various types of viruses before, so the immune system should be better.

We know there are other types of CV. Other strains which have a similar underlying genetic structure. They have been found to be insignificant - just like having a cold. If they were recent, then it is conceivable that people in schools had it while others didn’t. But I agree it seems unlikely. Village schools...home schooling....surely we’d see some kids who’d not had it and developed symptoms now from this latest virus.

In which case, why are kids seemingly immune? And why are most healthy people too, with a few getting it bad?

Last edited:
Back