• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

I read a sad stat earlier (USA) that 60% of people surveyed don't think climate change will affect them. Deluded.

Guilt is not enough and it certainly hasn't worked to date. Better messaging or a different tone? This is another ridiculous exercise that has already failed. Warnings of looming destruction and the death of everything you know or love should be enough but nope, not enough. I'm sad to say but it is going to take some sort of catastrophic event to convince some folks to change. And unfortunately, by then it will be too late to do anything about it.
The banning of smartphones....then maybe people will notice other stuff:)?

I read a sad stat earlier (USA) that 60% of people surveyed don't think climate change will affect them. Deluded.

Guilt is not enough and it certainly hasn't worked to date. Better messaging or a different tone? This is another ridiculous exercise that has already failed. Warnings of looming destruction and the death of everything you know or love should be enough but nope, not enough. I'm sad to say but it is going to take some sort of catastrophic event to convince some folks to change. And unfortunately, by then it will be too late to do anything about it.

Might want to ask themselves why this is getting built.

In case anyone else wants to watch the highlights.

Spot on. Taxes for billionaires and megacorps, not philanthropy. That idiot ex-CFO from Yahoo who mentioned unemployment rates being down... wow, I'm going to assume he isn't that ignorant and is just trying to deflect.

This is a great idea. I remember reading about something similar in a short story a good few years back (called The Snake or something like that). Fiction becoming fact. I've seen a similar idea where bike lanes and walkways were also shielded from the sun by panels. A twofor.

This is a great idea. I remember reading about something similar in a short story a good few years back (called The Snake or something like that). Fiction becoming fact. I've seen a similar idea where bike lanes and walkways were also shielded from the sun by panels. A twofor.
This is the kind of built in design considerations we need.

For example. Should more regular new build homes be built with a south/north facing roof pitch (with solar being mandatory for planning consent).

On another aspect I Have been reading a bit about the solar panel end of life problem... surely only on the increase.

This is the kind of built in design considerations we need.

For example. Should more regular new build homes be built with a south/north facing roof pitch (with solar being mandatory for planning consent).

On another aspect I Have been reading a bit about the solar panel end of life problem... surely only on the increase.
Having east-west aspects to a roof is not as good as south facing but not a disaster as long as the panels are split into 2 strings (dual MPPT). If all panels are on the same string then the worst-performing panels (where the sun isn't shining) degrade the performance of the whole system. PV panels are improving at such a rate that even with an east/west set up the benefits are still substantial, 20-25% worse performing than south facing. I think a better way to think of panels is as a 10-15 year investment that will need to be upgraded at some point, like your windows for example. The panels themselves even after that point don't become useless, just less efficient, and can be retasked for a less demanding job I would think.

Renewables, which are invariably PV panels, are mandatory for new builds over here in Ireland. Not so in the UK?

Last edited:
Having east-west aspects to a roof is not as good as south facing but not a disaster as long as the panels are split into 2 strings (dual MPPT). If all panels are on the same string then the worst-performing panels (where the sun isn't shining) degrade the performance of the whole system. PV panels are improving at such a rate that even with an east/west set up the benefits are still substantial, 20-25% worse performing than south facing. I think a better way to think of panels is as a 10-15 year investment that will need to be upgraded at some point, like your windows for example. The panels themselves even after that point don't become useless, just less efficient, and can be retasked for a less demanding job I would think.

Renewables, which are invariably PV panels, are mandatory for new builds over here in Ireland. Not so in the UK?
Depends on the local planning authority and size of development.

Well, that should be changed. I presume there are statewide building codes?
From my LPA:

Carbon reduction
template

All full and reserved matters
planning applications for new
development that result in a
residential net gain of 1 dwelling
and above or an increase in
non-residential floorspace
To demonstrate that carbon emissions will be minimised on
site, a carbon reduction template should be included in line
with guidance in Appendix B of the Sustainability SPD.
The reduction template should:
• Be applied to each unit or unit type proposed as part of
a development.
• Use the Target Emission Rate (TER) and Dwelling
Emission Rate (DER)/ Building Emission Rate for nondomestic
(BER), derived from the calculations carried
out for Building Regulations compliance (Part L).
• Major developments should include samples or
estimates of Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP)
(standard assessment procedure used in building
regulations) calculations appended as evidence of
compliance. It is recommended that SAP 10 carbon
intensity figures are used, to take account of the
decarbonisation of electricity. Calculations should be
shown relative to existing Part L regulations so it is clear
if, and how well, the development performs above
building regulations.
This information should be included in the sustainable
construction, energy and water statement.

Sustainability Checklist
All applications for new
development that result in a
residential net gain of 1 dwelling
and above or an increase in
non-residential floorspace.
A completed East Herts Sustainability checklist, which
addresses the following topics:
• Energy and carbon reduction
• Climate changes adaptation
• Water efficiency
• Pollution: Air quality and light pollution
• Biodiversity
• Sustainable transport
• Waste management
The checklist should demonstrate how the development
complies with District Plan policies that seek to improve the
environmental sustainability of new development and the
sustainable design and construction guidance set out in the
Sustainability Supplementary Planning Document.
When completing the checklist, applicants should:
• Briefly summarise/ explain how their proposal complies
with the relevant criteria, signposting to other relevant
statements/ surveys as appropriate. The checklist does
not need to repeat detailed information submitted
elsewhere, but should provide an overview of the
approach taken in the scheme.
• Ensure answers are explained and justified, not simply
'yes' or 'no' or 'not applicable';
• Use District Plan policies and the relevant sections in
the SPD to inform responses;
• Ensure the level of detail submitted is proportionate to
the scale and type of application. For outline
applications, the relevance of criteria will depend how
many matters are reserved. In these circumstances, the
applicant should demonstrate which checklist criteria
are not applicable to their proposal.

Sustainable Construction, Energy
and Water Statement

All new development. The Statement should demonstrate how the development
responds to sustainable construction, energy and water
efficiency:
• how the design, materials, construction and operation
of the development would minimise overheating in
summer and reduce the need for heating in the winter
and cooling in summer;
• how carbon dioxide emissions will be minimised across
the development site;
• how the development will minimise the use of mains
water
The statement should the explain, in more detail, the
answers to the sustainability checklist criteria relating to
water efficiency, energy and carbon reduction and climate
change adaptation.

I think we have some mandatory requirements for housing association builds or the affordable housing part of an application. Could be wrong though.

Of course a house can face east/West but the roof can still face south/north if you spin the gables 90degrees.

I think we have some mandatory requirements for housing association builds or the affordable housing part of an application. Could be wrong though.

Of course a house can face east/West but the roof can still face south/north if you spin the gables 90degrees.
It could be done of course but you are introducing other design considerations by moving the gables, especially in semi-d or terraces. Anyway I agree that it should be mandatory. That is a no-brainer at this point.

It could be done of course but you are introducing other design considerations by moving the gables, especially in semi-d or terraces. Anyway I agree that it should be mandatory. That is a no-brainer at this point.
The other thing is industrial units/parks.....just get it done.

So apart from 2 weeks fo snow, ice and minus temps the south of the UK has pretty much been at 8c minimum for most of December, January
So mild for Winter !!

Back