• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

This made me laugh. From Spanish AS

“Mourinho is starting to look like a washed-up rock star, one of those guys that goes around holiday hotels for pensioners playing old hits on an organ with the base and the percussion playing on a tape recorder.”

Another observation -- Utd have a massive weakness with their centre-halves being quite poor on the ball, unable to play quality forward passes. Seville's forwards didn't press them at all, instead just dropping back and blocking passing lanes to the two sitting midfielders. That made the centre-halves either pass sideways to the fullbacks or play it long to the forwards. It worked a treat for Seville, any team that plays Utd should do the same thing.

And even worse when they haven't got the ball, Smalling is one of the poorest centrehalves I ever seen play for England and hardly premier league standard.

His career is quite bizarre, a handful of games for Fulham* - where he hardly looked like Maldini, inexplicably snapped up by Man U, where he has spent the last 8-9 years.

He has two league titles, one FA cup, one League cup, 3 community shields and a EUROPA league.

All while being the most "meh" of players.

*Looked it up, 11 games at Maidstone, 13 at Fulham, and then off to the biggest club in the country.... bizarre

His career is quite bizarre, a handful of games for Fulham* - where he hardly looked like Maldini, inexplicably snapped up by Man U, where he has spent the last 8-9 years.

He has two league titles, one FA cup, one League cup, 3 community shields and a EUROPA league.

All while being the most "meh" of players.

*Looked it up, 11 games at Maidstone, 13 at Fulham, and then off to the biggest club in the country.... bizarre
Roy loves him I reckon he'll end up at Palace if they stay up. If you have Man U on your cv it guarantees another prem move, regardless of your actual performance levels. It's a bit like saying, oh he worked for Goldmans and even though they sacked him he must be half decent for them to have recruited him in the first place let's give them a job in another bank...

By the same token, you can pretty well guarantee he will start for England in the summer. Probably with Cahill (Jones first reserve, if he is fit?). Even though there are better options out there.

By the same token, you can pretty well guarantee he will start for England in the summer. Probably with Cahill (Jones first reserve, if he is fit?). Even though there are better options out there.
I think centre backs are our weakest for years..would it be so ridiculous to suggest try be Burnley pair as they're used to playing together and are used to playing for a team that has to do a lot of defending... could even chuck in their keeper too?

No, not at all. I really like Maguire at Leicester too, who would probably be first choice for me.

I think when you have a team that doesnt have time to play together, like England, it makes sense to pick natural partnerships.

Maybe on that basis, the Burnley pair is quite logical. Just as, Dele and Kane - play them off each other as they do for us.
yep defo some advantages all round and I've been impressed with Maguire when I've seen him. I actually think we have the tools to cause some problems as a counter attacking side, but think we lack the solid base to do it from. Picking players drilled in this rather than being fringe players for a big team would make sense but sometimes it feels like the England team is selected for marketing rather than footballing reasons.

yep defo some advantages all round and I've been impressed with Maguire when I've seen him. I actually think we have the tools to cause some problems as a counter attacking side, but think we lack the solid base to do it from. Picking players drilled in this rather than being fringe players for a big team would make sense but sometimes it feels like the England team is selected for marketing rather than footballing reasons.
Can you imagine the uproar if the Burnley pair and/or Maguire were picked ahead of Stones, Gomez, Smalling, Jones and Cahill?! Would be a media and fan backlash!

That would be the same media who told us that Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney were world class.
All three were phenominal players.... maybe not quite 'world class' as I don't think any would've got in a combined best in World teamm but all three were very good international players. If we had 11 players of that same standard all playing in their natural positions then we would be good enough to win a major trophy IMO.

That would be the same media who told us that Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney were world class.

I think they were all world class players, it's at least arguable. They all delivered on the biggest stages in club football irrc, add up the winners medals between them, along with their own massive contributions to the teams that won them. Doesn't mean you can just chuck them all together in a team and it'll be magic, but they were fantastic players at their best.

I think they were all world class players, it's at least arguable. They all delivered on the biggest stages in club football irrc, add up the winners medals between them, along with their own massive contributions to the teams that won them. Doesn't mean you can just chuck them all together in a team and it'll be magic, but they were fantastic players at their best.

They were great players in this league, but world class players perform well on the international stage and their tally of medals at that level is not outstanding, how many games did they really shine when it counted? They may have reached that level if they had moved abroad but they were happy being "king of the kids" in the day of the "Sky top 4" and the bias media telling them they were the best.

They were great players in this league, but world class players perform well on the international stage and their tally of medals at that level is not outstanding, how many games did they really shine when it counted? They may have reached that level if they had moved abroad but they were happy being "king of the kids" in the day of the "Sky top 4" and the bias media telling them they were the best.

Did they not perform on the international stage?

How is Messi’s international medal tally?

The European Cup is at a significantly higher level than internationals, that’s where it counts.

I would say that is more to do with the England managers being brick. A great manager can make average players look good. A mediocre manager can make great players look poor.

Back