• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

Jose Mourinho: Man Utd boss bites back at Paul Scholes for criticism of Paul Pogba

• 2 hours ago
  • From the sectionMan Utd

Everton 0-2 Man Utd: Jose Mourinho praises players after 'worst possible schedule'
Jose Mourinho has hit back at former Manchester United star Paul Scholes for his criticism of United's France midfielder Paul Pogba.

Speaking after Saturday's 0-0 draw with Southampton, Scholes said: "He doesn't look like a player who will win you games - that's what you pay £90m for."

Following the 2-0 win over Everton on Monday, United boss Mourinho said: "The only thing Scholes does is criticise.

"Scholes will be in history as a phenomenal player. Not as a pundit."

Scholes' comments at the weekend came after United had drawn for the third game in a row.

The 43-year-old former England international, working as a pundit for BT Sport, questioned Pogba's fitness and attitude, as well as the position he was being played in.

"He is just strolling through games," said Scholes who won 11 league titles at Old Trafford.

"Pogba doesn't look fit, I wonder whether he is training properly.

"No-one in England should be getting near him, but he is being asked to do a role he is not comfortable in.

"You have to say the manager has to take responsibility for that."

upload_2018-1-2_9-40-0.gif
Paul Pogba's heatmaps for the matches against Southampton (left) and Everton - they show he was more involved in attack at Goodison Park on Monday than against the Saints on Saturday
Pogba, 24, played further forward against Everton than he did against Southampton, as the heatmap above shows.

He produced a man-of-the-match performance which included assists for the goals scored by Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard in the 2-0 win.

Mourinho said: "I don't think he [Scholes] comments. He criticises - which is a different thing.

"Not everyone has to be phenomenal like he was. As a player he was phenomenal, but it doesn't mean we all have to be phenomenal.

"Sometimes Pogba plays very well, sometimes he plays well and sometimes he doesn't play well. Pogba tries his best all the time.

"It's not Paul's fault that he made much more money than Paul Scholes. It's not Paul Pogba's fault, it's just the way football is."

And Mourinho added: "If Paul [Scholes] decides to be a manager one day, I wish that he can be 25% as successful as myself.

"Fifty per cent is 12-and-a-half silverware, 25% is around six [trophies]. If he is 25% he will be quite happy."

Asked if he was frustrated by the number of high-profile ex-United players working in the media, Mourinho said: "I think they would love to be here, in the club. That's a problem that I cannot resolve."

What a taco. Classic Mourinho, praise someone in order to criticise them, while also bigging yourself up.

Its not even like Scholes has said anything out of line.

Jose Mourinho: Man Utd boss bites back at Paul Scholes for criticism of Paul Pogba

• 2 hours ago
  • From the sectionMan Utd

Everton 0-2 Man Utd: Jose Mourinho praises players after 'worst possible schedule'
Jose Mourinho has hit back at former Manchester United star Paul Scholes for his criticism of United's France midfielder Paul Pogba.

Speaking after Saturday's 0-0 draw with Southampton, Scholes said: "He doesn't look like a player who will win you games - that's what you pay £90m for."

Following the 2-0 win over Everton on Monday, United boss Mourinho said: "The only thing Scholes does is criticise.

"Scholes will be in history as a phenomenal player. Not as a pundit."

Scholes' comments at the weekend came after United had drawn for the third game in a row.

The 43-year-old former England international, working as a pundit for BT Sport, questioned Pogba's fitness and attitude, as well as the position he was being played in.

"He is just strolling through games," said Scholes who won 11 league titles at Old Trafford.

"Pogba doesn't look fit, I wonder whether he is training properly.

"No-one in England should be getting near him, but he is being asked to do a role he is not comfortable in.

"You have to say the manager has to take responsibility for that."

View attachment 3949
Paul Pogba's heatmaps for the matches against Southampton (left) and Everton - they show he was more involved in attack at Goodison Park on Monday than against the Saints on Saturday
Pogba, 24, played further forward against Everton than he did against Southampton, as the heatmap above shows.

He produced a man-of-the-match performance which included assists for the goals scored by Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard in the 2-0 win.

Mourinho said: "I don't think he [Scholes] comments. He criticises - which is a different thing.

"Not everyone has to be phenomenal like he was. As a player he was phenomenal, but it doesn't mean we all have to be phenomenal.

"Sometimes Pogba plays very well, sometimes he plays well and sometimes he doesn't play well. Pogba tries his best all the time.

"It's not Paul's fault that he made much more money than Paul Scholes. It's not Paul Pogba's fault, it's just the way football is."

And Mourinho added: "If Paul [Scholes] decides to be a manager one day, I wish that he can be 25% as successful as myself.

"Fifty per cent is 12-and-a-half silverware, 25% is around six [trophies]. If he is 25% he will be quite happy."

Asked if he was frustrated by the number of high-profile ex-United players working in the media, Mourinho said: "I think they would love to be here, in the club. That's a problem that I cannot resolve."

What a taco. Classic Mourinho, praise someone in order to criticise them, while also bigging yourself up.

Its not even like Scholes has said anything out of line.

A man under massive pressure. Reckon he’ll be gone in the summer and he’ll be no loss to the league. Classless and yesterday’s man.

At board level man u arent interested in trophies, they want to generate money and you do that with media hype.
If offered a 16 year old Messi no one has heard of but in 3 years will dominate for years or a 32 year Ronaldo that will sell endless copy they will go for the old geezer.
Would be interesting to know just how much say Jose has in transfers.

At board level man u arent interested in trophies, they want to generate money and you do that with media hype.
If offered a 16 year old Messi no one has heard of but in 3 years will dominate for years or a 32 year Ronaldo that will sell endless copy they will go for the old geezer.
Would be interesting to know just how much say Jose has in transfers.

I think success has to be a factor in keeping that profile as well.

Just participating isnt enough, look at Arsenal. When they were winning the league and making the CL final they were big news, these days theya re barely an afterthought.

As to transfers, in the summer Jose made a point of saying (paraphrasing) "I know who I want, Ive given the list to the club, its up to them to get them in". And it would appear they did just that.

Which is kind of the point - Mourinho actually has no excuses, no matter how many he makes. Its all on HIM.

Mourinho turning on club legends is a quick way to lose the fans.

Better way to go down that route than concede that he won't be able to compete with city or even the challenge of the others next year.

Looks lost and trying to build a siege mentality .... doesn't work when the media have got it right for once.

Jose on Conte: "I don't need Chelsea manager to say I made mistakes in past and will in future. What I will say is I will never be banned for match fixing."

Has Mourinho ever left a club in a decent state for the next manager? I feel like he just goes in there, burns through all resource, and leaves it burnt out and struggling in his wake.

The sort of guy that blows his months wages in the first week then disappears...

Has Mourinho ever left a club in a decent state for the next manager? I feel like he just goes in there, burns through all resource, and leaves it burnt out and struggling in his wake.

The sort of guy that blows his months wages in the first week then disappears...
Real Madrid, Porto, Inter and Chelski have really struggled and been left to rot after he left....
Are you serious?

Antonio Conte: Chelsea boss calls Jose Mourinho 'a little man'
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has called Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho "a little man" as the pair continued to trade insults.

On Friday, Mourinho said he would "never be suspended for match-fixing",appearing to talk about Conte.

The Italian received a four-month suspension while at Juventus in 2012-13 for failing to report match-fixing at his previous club Siena.

In 2016, Conte was cleared by a court of any wrongdoing in the matter.

"I think when there are these types of comments, comments where you try to offend the person and don't know the truth, then you are a little man," Conte told BBC Sport on Saturday after his side's 0-0 draw at Norwich Cityin the FA Cup third round.

In numerous interviews to the media on Saturday, Conte repeatedly called Mourinho "a little man".

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "When is the game against United? We can meet in a room. To try and explain about these comments. I don't know if he is ready to meet me in a room, just me and him.

"I'm not surprised [at the comments]. He has to know before he speaks because he is suffering from amnesia."

'He is fake' - what Conte said at the news conference
Antonio Conte continued to talk about former Chelsea boss Mourinho in the post-match news conference and explained further what had happened in Italy.

"It's true I was banned for four months by the sporting justice for failure to report," Conte, 48, said. "Then I asked for a retrial by court and then they declared it nonsense.

"Before you make these kind of comments you must pay great attention, because you show you are a little man.

"In the past he was a little man in many circumstances, he's a little man in the present and for sure he will be a little man in the future. I consider him a little man and I consider him a man with a very low profile."

Conte also criticised 54-year-old Mourinho, who wore a shirt with the initials 'CR' at a Manchester United news conference in February 2017, in support of another former Chelsea manager, Claudio Ranieri, who had just been sacked by Leicester City.

"I remember with Ranieri when he [Mourinho] offended him for his English," added Conte. "And then when Ranieri was sacked he put on a shirt for Ranieri. You are fake, you are fake.

"I think in this last period he's suffering a bit of amnesia. When you become older there is this type of risk. Also for me and for you.

"If you want to fight this person, you try to kill this person. And then after two years you try to help this person because maybe it's good for you, for your profile."

While I agree with you, I also greatly enjoy Mourinho being called out. It hasnt happened enough over the years.

Oh its fun from that point of view, but at the end of the day, the lack of class shown by these two is insane. They should be above it all really.

The match fixing jibe was low considering Conte was acquitted, I would have sent in my lawyers and said nothing.

Oh its fun from that point of view, but at the end of the day, the lack of class shown by these two is insane. They should be above it all really.

The match fixing jibe was low considering Conte was acquitted, I would have sent in my lawyers and said nothing.
You wouldn't have got very far.

Conte was banned for an offence related to match fixing. That he was later found innocent doesn't make what Mourinho said untrue. I'd be surprised if anyone better than an ambulance chaser took that case.

Back