• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Its a classic skillset argument - If you have a exceptional skill (great left foot) that is what got you to highest level of game, do you

- Work on other skills to more round out your abilities
- Focus on that exceptional skill and make it even more of a weapon?

I think when you spend all day every day training, when your whole life is geared to playing football, then that argument really doesnt stack up.

There is more than enough time and opportunity to focus on your weaknesses as well as strengths. And in modern football there really is no excuse to not be able to use your weaker foot, IMO.

Eriksen and Kane are exceptional in this respect, then you see someone like Lamela who is shockingly one footed.

I think when you spend all day every day training, when your whole life is geared to playing football, then that argument really doesnt stack up.

There is more than enough time and opportunity to focus on your weaknesses as well as strengths. And in modern football there really is no excuse to not be able to use your weaker foot, IMO.

Eriksen and Kane are exceptional in this respect, then you see someone like Lamela who is shockingly one footed.

Lamela is too one footed for me.

I understand your point, and think that players brought up in this era should never be that way. But point re all round vs weapon remains.

Lamela to me doesn't need to focus on his other foot (don't know if at 25 he can really add that to his game), it's predictability, if he's on the left, he can't only turn inside every time, he's got to go outside to mix it up, make it less predictable.

I understand your point, and think that players brought up in this era should never be that way. But point re all round vs weapon remains.

Lamela to me doesn't need to focus on his other foot (don't know if at 25 he can really add that to his game), it's predictability, if he's on the left, he can't only turn inside every time, he's got to go outside to mix it up, make it less predictable.

I dont think the point remains. I see no reason at all why a player cannot focus on their main strength while also working on their weaknesses. It is literally their job and lifes vocation. What they spend all their time working on.

Im a fan of Lamela, I do really like him - but its shocking his right foot is only there for standing on. I do agree, regardless of that, he should be working on adding variety to his game as well.

Though, that could easily be the case of being able to use his other foot...

Its the wonderful thing about Kane and Eriksen, they just use the most appropriate foot for the situation, which means they arent predictable.

I dont think the point remains. I see no reason at all why a player cannot focus on their main strength while also working on their weaknesses. It is literally their job and lifes vocation. What they spend all their time working on.

Im a fan of Lamela, I do really like him - but its shocking his right foot is only there for standing on. I do agree, regardless of that, he should be working on adding variety to his game as well.

Though, that could easily be the case of being able to use his other foot...

Its the wonderful thing about Kane and Eriksen, they just use the most appropriate foot for the situation, which means they arent predictable.

The strange thing about Lamela is that I have seen him be very effective using his right foot. At an open practice session in Toronto he shot powerfully and accurately with his right on 2 or 3 occasions. I have also observed that on the rare occasions that he has used it over the last couple of years, it was fine. It must be a confidence thing.

Thats exactly what Id have done. League 2 cloggers all the way over in Wales, its just not a game for him.
It’s the lack of squad alternative for Eriksen that is our problem I think. If he’s not playing well or not available we’re a different style of team. The last couple of games have shown our lack of creativity. I think Lamela back to full fitness and hopefully Moura will help this though.

It’s the lack of squad alternative for Eriksen that is our problem I think. If he’s not playing well or not available we’re a different style of team. The last couple of games have shown our lack of creativity. I think Lamela back to full fitness and hopefully Moura will help this though.

Absolutely. SCBC, looked at the midfield and fully expected us to struggle and wondered where the hell Lamela was.

Newport, similar. I expected a more physical team from us, but still some craft which was obviously lacking.

It seems Injuries/Illness/Lack of match fitness is the cause, but even so Im disappointed at how poorly we have played.

Really wish lamela would use his right for something other then standing on. He has an amazing training grounf no wife or kids, if he wanted it he could ne great. 2 hours kicking with his right foot after training has finished, couple of months he would see a massive improvement.

His first son was born very recently

Maybe that is the major flaw in our system, we need a player with a similar skill set that can slip in to that role
But how do you get two playmakers? To play the role Eriksen play you have to know your teammates 100%. You have to know how and were they run, and how your teammates thinks. To do that you need to play as much as possible. If you by a new player to rotate with Eriksen he will loose some of the conection with the rest, and the rest of the team will have to learn how a different player diktate the game. You then will have two good players but not one excelent one.
How many other team have two option in that role?

But how do you get two playmakers? To play the role Eriksen play you have to know your teammates 400%. You have to know how and were they run, and how your teammates thinks. To do that you need to play as much as possible. If you by a new player to rotate with Eriksen he will loose some of the conection with the rest, and the rest of the team will have to learn how a different player diktate the game. You then will have two good players but not one excelent one.
How many other team have two option in that role?
We've looked excellent at times with Eriksen and Lamela in the side. Similar with Eriksen and Winks. Another option for Eriksen would be good, another creative central option for Winks would be good. But right now I'll settle for not being without all three.

If we do find options either in the market or from the academy rotation and injuries should mean enough playing time for all.

Back