• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I do question just how instrumental he was, to be honest.

Villa were visibly tiring, and Eriksen came on at a point where there was a lot of space for him to exploit.

He came on for Winks so it was an attacking move as well, putting more bodies up against Villa as they were sitting in deep.

He played well, not trying to take that away from him, but I do think the whole line of him changing the game isnt really the case.

At least, not in the context it is used - IE Eriksen alone rescued the result for us. We had basically ground Villa down at that point then made an attacking sub. Eriksen played his part but wasnt the defining factor IMO.
I was at the game and the change that he made was very apparent and immediate. We were going sideways, slowly before he came on and immediately went forwards far more quickly when he was introduced for Winks.

It doesn't justify him continuing to be picked now though when he is having no impact on the game and especially not being picked from the start. I haven't been particularly impressed with Winks this season but I would happily have him in the starting line up over Eriksen right now. At least he is likely to try his absolute best.

I was at the game and the change that he made was very apparent and immediate. We were going sideways, slowly before he came on and immediately went forwards far more quickly when he was introduced for Winks.

It doesn't justify him continuing to be picked now though when he is having no impact on the game and especially not being picked from the start. I haven't been particularly impressed with Winks this season but I would happily have him in the starting line up over Eriksen right now. At least he is likely to try his absolute best.

Right, and taking off someone from the base of midfield and putting someone on in attack will make that difference, wont it?

Not talking down Eriksens contribution, he got in there and made some passes etc - just trying to point out he didnt single handedly get us the win. I think the change was as important as the player coming in. Could have been someone else, and we get the same result...

Right, and taking off someone from the base of midfield and putting someone on in attack will make that difference, wont it?

Not talking down Eriksens contribution, he got in there and made some passes etc - just trying to point out he didnt single handedly get us the win. I think the change was as important as the player coming in. Could have been someone else, and we get the same result...
No player ever single-handedly gets any team a win though.

It could've been somebody else and we got the same result, but it wasn't. In that instance we were losing and really didn't look like turning it around until the point that Eriksen came on. We'll never know if the same would've happened if another player came on instead that is all completely speculative, so why don't we just go with the fact that Eriksen had an immediate and positive impact on that particular game? Admitting that, doesn't mean that Eriksen has been any good since that particular game and now deserves a place in the team. It just means that he played a big part in us getting 3 points in that game.

(Remembering the bench that we had for that game I'm pretty confident that none of the other subs on there would've been likely to have turned that game round for us as Eriksen did).

Last edited:
I was also at the game that day and it did feel as though Eriksen had an impact on the tempo of the game even if he wasn't (iirc) directly involved in the goals.
I get what you're saying Nayim - he didn't do anything outstanding but he did seem to have a general positive impact on play by making us more direct and forward thinking.

I've seen absolutely zero evidence of him doing that since.

No player ever single-handedly gets any team a win though.

It could've been somebody else and we got the same result, but it wasn't. In that instance we were losing and really didn't look like turning it around until the point that Eriksen came on. We'll never know if the same would've happened if another player came on instead that is all completely speculative, so why don't we just go with the fact that Eriksen had an immediate and positive impact on that particular game? Admitting that, doesn't mean that Eriksen has been any good since that particular game and now deserves a place in the team. It just means that he played a big part in us getting 3 points in that game.

(Remembering the bench that we had for that game I'm pretty confident that none of the other subs on there would've been likely to have turned that game round for us as Eriksen did).

I made no denial of his impact. Only added a little nuance as to how I saw it.

I dont think he did anything remarkable, I dont think he single handedly won us the game (as it is often phrased) - I think the actual change itself was a positive one and a big contributing factor to the result.

That is all.

I Think Poch has always been stubbornly loyal to his shall we say favourites. He’s played players devoid of form to play them back into form.
I think he’s maybe so blinded by his loyalty that he thinks it’s a form thing and not Eriksen phoning it in maybe he does not believe Eriksen would do that to him ? Just a thought.

We have a lot of fans who thrive off the negativity
It’s an odd characteristic but it’s something that stands out IMO

Nothing new in that though, fans who in a lot of cases have never kicked a ball in anger react in a negative way when things are not going well. Far too many " football manager" fans are making their voices heard without any real idea of what is going on.

Same for every club though.

That was how i saw it as well, our problem is that he has been our most creative player over the years and we have no other player ( that can do what he has done on many occasions). IMO he has been our most important player over those years and it sad to see that he is struggling now. I agree he is nothing like the player he has been for us but i can understand why Poch plays him, until Lo Celso or another player can replicate what he has/can do for us we are struggling to create.

The last thing we need at the ground is that type of attitude, its bad enough on forums.

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather Eriksen plays every minute of this season than we start booing him.

It's on Poch at this stage. Even if he still rates Eriksen, for the lad's own good he has to take him out of the team. He's getting absolutely slated by fans and ex-players and justifiably so. He needs taking out of the team/squad and given some time to sort himself out. Personally, I really don't believe he's not trying, there is something else going on with him that may or may not be football related.

He's given us 6 great years. He deserves a bit of respect from us and he also deserves some protection from his manager.

Nothing new in that though, fans who in a lot of cases have never kicked a ball in anger react in a negative way when things are not going well. Far too many " football manager" fans are making their voices heard without any real idea of what is going on.

Same for every club though.

Agree totally.

He's given us 6 great years. He deserves a bit of respect from us and he also deserves some protection from his manager.

He deserves respect from us?

What the holy fcuk.

He should be docked wages for not working. If it was some hint in an office on Facebook all day she would at least get a disciplinary.

Personally I've never for one second believed the Eriksen-Vertonghen rumours, and I generally ignore any internet ITKs. But for what it's worth: my colleague comes from a family of lifelong local Spurs fans, and Paul Coyte (the guy who presents the half-time stuff at the stadium) is a family friend. My colleague said he told them that the Eriksen-Vertonghen rumour is 100% true.

Still can't bring myself to believe it, but it would give some explanation as to why Poch insists on continuing to pick Eriksen (loyalty and sympathy)...

Even if it is 100% true, it doesnt justify Eriksens selection.

That MUST be a sporting decision. For both the good of the team and squad.

And even if Eriksens world has been turned upside down, that doesnt mean he should be in the team on current form.

If anything it might do him a favour to drop him and give him time to sort his head out.

Trouble is, as the table in the link below shows, as poor as he's been, he's still our best option creatively. There's several players only performing at about 50% of their level in previous seasons, unfortunately. There's a good chance Poch is basing his decisions on the same sort of feedback.

https://understat.com/team/Tottenham/2019

Trouble is, as the table in the link below shows, as poor as he's been, he's still our best option creatively. There's several players only performing at about 50% of their level in previous seasons, unfortunately. There's a good chance Poch is basing his decisions on the same sort of feedback.

https://understat.com/team/Tottenham/2019

That is the biggest problem we have, Eriksen has been our most creative player over the last several seasons and there is no one in the squad who evens comes close. He is not playing at his best for sure ( but he has not been our worst player unlike some say). Poch plays him in the hope that he can return to his best form, sadly there is no real sign of that happening.

It gets more complicated than that though.

Set the team up in a different shape, instruct the players on movements and runs etc - and you can compensate for the lack of a single player (in virtually any position, but certainly attack).

We beat RSB 5-0 just the other week, no Eriksen, no Eriksen type player = and no shortage of attacking intent, options, or success.

If it was as simple as that, there would be no chase to buy the most creative players in the game.

If you limit your options to setting up the team such that it depends on Eriksen/"an Eriksen" to function, then you set yourself up to fail IMO as obviously those players dont grow on trees.

How do you suppose teams with less ability score goals? Theres more than one way to skin a cat...

Other teams make sure they get the right players in the right areas in the right situations, and as a team they function perfectly well without "an Eriksen".

Id like to think our squad is more than capable of similar. In fact Ive advocated for it for some time, considering its a more robust/consistent way to play than relying on one mans form.

If we really are in a situation where our team cannot function without Eriksen (and RSB suggests otherwise) then we really are fudged.

If you limit your options to setting up the team such that it depends on Eriksen/"an Eriksen" to function, then you set yourself up to fail IMO as obviously those players dont grow on trees.

How do you suppose teams with less ability score goals? Theres more than one way to skin a cat...

Other teams make sure they get the right players in the right areas in the right situations, and as a team they function perfectly well without "an Eriksen".

Id like to think our squad is more than capable of similar. In fact Ive advocated for it for some time, considering its a more robust/consistent way to play than relying on one mans form.

If we really are in a situation where our team cannot function without Eriksen (and RSB suggests otherwise) then we really are fudged.

Of course there are " other" ways of setting up a team but its not done overnight, eventually unless we find another creative player to replace Eriksen or a different way of playing we will struggle. If you really believe that we can change the way we have been playing over the last few years ( with Eriksen at the centre of it) and do it overnight then you are fooling yourself.

Creative players like Eriksen are wanted by most top clubs ( have you ever wondered why that is?), and the best ones usually end up at the biggest clubs.

Back