• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Whether he has a season off or not, he is a high class player. And on a free is an absolute no brainer for just about anyone. If Utd want him now, they would still be interested next season.

What would selling say to Alli and Kane etc? Why would you assume they would judge Spurs negatively, and not Eriksen? As you say - "a club who is behind us in every playing respect". Why would we sell him? Because if we dont we lose money, and we are trying to build something that costs a lot of it. Players can see this. The bigger question, from their point of view - for me at least - is "Hey, Christian, what the fudge?!"

These players have all recommitted to the club. They have all seen it grow and develop. They have been what has taken it past Utd on the field. If one of them bails to take a step back - I imagine they would ask questions of him, not us for "allowing it to happen".

Because they will also see, despite them all finding contract negotiations positive, despite knowing the club has actively tried to get Eriksen to the table, HE is the one who has made this happen, not the club. Now its just the club trying to make the best of a bad situation.

It is no indictment of our club or ambition that a player decides it suits him better to leave, and manufactures that situation, and then goes to a club down the table in a mercenary move.

I very simply cannot get on board with your perspective on this at all. I think it is fundamentally wrong.

As to new players? We can only hope, and time will tell. Both look excellent, and both would appear to bring something to the team, right now thats about as much as we can hope for.

I see your point chief but can’t get on board with it. We may just have to agree to disagree which admittedly isn’t what the internet was built for:)

Levy doesn’t really do emotional I agree although he did a bit with Modric. That’s why I think, if it came to it, he’d take the course of action you and Nayim are advocating. I’d normally be all for the all logic/no emotion course of action but in this case, I think we’ve got to show some steel. Be brave if you will:)

And yet I still dont understand what is to be gained from it. Why cut your nose off to spite your face?

Interesting to see the view from the other side:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/christian-eriksen.446509/page-45

Money aside, he has no reason to join United. We're a worse team than Spurs and he if wants to leave for ambition reasons, there are other clubs he can go to.

[I failed to really take a close look at him last season - my Spurs friend, who is a season ticket holder, said he's obviously productive over the course of a season but can be frustrating in some string of games with his output. Does this sound accurate?]
That’s inevitable when he’s been carrying the entire creative burden of an overachieving, high intensity team for the past 6 years, while also starring for his national team - he’s never rotated and covers a lot of ground per game; it’s impossible to sustain peak form in such circumstances.

He’ll be a contender for POTY next season.

Åge Hareide coached Ole at Molde in the 90's is now coaching Denmark's national team, and they are still close friends. It's not at all impossible that he has Eriksen's ear, and that he might help convince him to go to United. He is very well regarded in Denmark.

That makes no sense. The rumor is that Ole doesn't want to add players who don't want to be at United. Hence, Dybala deal was supposedly cancelled. But somehow we are willing to add a player whose coming to United because we'd be offering more money than Spurs. Hmmm.... this sounds vaguely familiar. An attacking midfielder who played in London and had one year left on his contract and decides to move to United because we offered him more in wages....

If we manage to pull this off then this transfer window will turn into a great one from a bad one. Unfortunately it feels like Ed is taking us on another ride yet again.

I would say Eriksen would want to join the biggest club in England. Zidane doesn't fancy him and Barca don't want him either it seems. If they did, I'm sure Levy would've preferred selling him to one of those clubs.

Eriksen comes from a country where Manchester United is very popular. I can definitely see Eriksen joining us due to our stature/history as a club. With time running out in the window I feel Levy will try and cash in on a player that is wanting a fresh challenge at 27. Spurs have most likely tried to sell him abroad but to no avail. I can see Spurs selling him to us, rather than lose him for nothing. Eriksen's body language is also pretty telling from what I've seen in preseason. And Spurs might well have to bite the bullet, rather than hold onto a unhappy player which could be detrimental to their cause.

Eriksen is a playmaker that would suit us far more than Bruno Fernandes IMO. Fernandes has a better strike from range than Eriksen but Eriksen does everything else better and is more proven at a higher level.

I said at the start of the transfer window we would get Eriksen. Yeah seems ridiculous but the situation isnt so black and white. Firstly I dont see any big clubs going in for him. secondly he wants to leave. Thirdly Levy is an arse but even he can see losing a player for nothing next year is madness.
Its basically down to the player. If he is telling spurs no way im signing and ill leave next year then they would be bonkers not to accept 70/80 now

Madrid will snap him in next few weeks for a moderate sum after realizing how bricky their midfield is.

To those who think United can sign him, the minimum that cnut Levy will even start the negotiations is £80-90m from us. We'd be funding the signings of Le Celso along with Bruno and strengthening them massively. That's assuming Eriksen would be willing to come here in the first place. This is an absolute non-starter, next.

Would absolutely love us to sign Eriksen.
The biggest problem with our midfield over the last few seasons in my opinion is the amount of touches they all have on the ball before moving it on. Nobody every plays 1 or 2 touch. Look at the best teams and their middle men move the ball quickly and efficiently. Recently we have had Pogba, who likes to try to beat a man before playing his pass, Matic who takes 4 touches to turn with the ball, Fellaini - say no more - and Herrera who was the master of passing back to the center halves.

Eriksen would go a long way to speeding up our defence - attack transitions. Very clever player who is always in space and uses the ball positively more often than not.

My dream signing if i am honest.

Would Levy really take a loss out of stubbornness? They pinch the pennies in every area around Spurs. Not making this sale ammounts to a weekly cost of ~£1m given a transfer fee around £50-60m just to keep 1 season short term. It seem very illogical move on Levy's behalf. They can wisely use that money and get Lo Celso, and lower the risk of disrupting the team harmony. The deal makes sense from a logical standpoint at least. Everyone stand to win unless Eriksen is genuinely aiming for a contract free exit?

I saw Erikson many times last season. I moved to London recently and my work colleague is a spurs fan, so I went to Wembley quite a bit. Let me tell you, he's not the player he once was, he was really sluggish and lost the ball quite a lot. He hardly ran and mostly jogged around waiting for the ball to come to him, and when it did come he was brushed off it quite easily like Mata. I think he would be quite a frustrating player if he were to come to United.

Just my observation from seeing him in live matches, not just the televised matches that most people here would have seen him. Interesting to see what Spurs fans make of his performances last season?

If at the beginning of the window you said I could choose a playmaker it would have been Eriksen.

Perfect mentality, and proven at this level. Would be like signing Mata again at 27. However, what we hopefully wouldn't do is waste his prime by playing him on the wing.

If we got this signing, it'd be an amazing window, and actually beyond expectations from my point of view (with me not being an absolute sex case transfer muppet).

Not getting my hopes up though, Levy would do everything to ensure he goes elsewhere.

One thing I’d note about Eriksen - I get the feeling he’s played an awful lot of football in those legs. I was just doing random appearances searches to see if my hunch was correct; at 27 he’s played over 440~ games (Transfermarkt).

I thought I’d compare with some of his contemporaries, and that’s a good 60 more than Neymar, about 40 more than KDB (a year older), about 80ish more than Pogba, near 100 more than Salah etc.

He presses and covers distance at a high level also.

Is he one that will burn out at 30?

Ha! You asked...

The other side of this is that Utd actually still want Fernandes, and are using it to push the price down with Lisbon.

Or they are just being desperate and trying to unsettle us going into the season because they know we are a big competitor for them.

Or its actually nothing at all and just the press posting gonad*s as usual...

and the winner is "Or its actually nothing at all and just the press posting gonad*s as usual..."
:)

I’m baffled by some supporters apparent indifference about Eriksen to United. Even if you don’t believe he would improve them much, losing him weakens us big time. He’s a very, very good player.

This goes beyond the economics of the situation. We need to make a statement and that statement is “We’re Tottenham, we’re one of the leading clubs with England and our best player is not joining a rival at any cost”. Do what Fergie did with Heinze. Do what we did with Modric. Do what Liverpool did with Suarez. Under no circumstances can he go there and I’ll be spitting nails if he does.
Except he's not our best player.

Will United want him after a year not playing? Doubtful. It probably wouldn’t get that far anyway. It didn’t with Modric and we sold him for less to Madrid than we would have gotten off Chelsea.

If Kane, Alli and our other top players see us selling one of our top players to a club who is behind us in every playing respect, what does that say to them? We’ve just built a billion pound stadium which was to put us at the top table and here’s one of our undroppables choosing a club with no CL football over us and we’re allowing it to happen? It would be an indictment of our club and our ambition in my view and it may cost us CL football the following season too.

Add to that, are Fernandes and Lo Celso going to come in and be as good as Eriksen? It’s a massive risk to think that they would.
Eriksen is no modric.

Levy doesn’t really do emotional I agree although he did a bit with Modric. That’s why I think, if it came to it, he’d take the course of action you and Nayim are advocating. I’d normally be all for the all logic/no emotion course of action but in this case, I think we’ve got to show some steel. Be brave if you will:)
But the examples you have given about 'showing some balls' have all been players that still has a transfer value the following year.

To swallow giving up on £50/60m might literally be impossible for our finances.

Of course Eriksen can force that situation on us by choosing not to leave. Hence the push for other (even unsuitable) suitors.

But the examples you have given about 'showing some balls' have all been players that still has a transfer value the following year.

To swallow giving up on £50/60m might literally be impossible for our finances.

Of course Eriksen can force that situation on us by choosing not to leave. Hence the push for other (even unsuitable) suitors.

Well there you go. We may have to swallow that £50-£60m hit anyway.

In terms of what we get out of this, as Nayim asked, is you send a message that we won't sell to direct rivals. You let players know that if they run down their contracts to go to a rival they may hurt their own careers. And most importantly, you don't give United a big boost as they attempt to overtake us in the Top 4 race. The effect of them getting Eriksen and us losing him could swing the pendulum well and truly in their favour.

We could make £50m and lose whatever CL qualification brings. It's not worth the risk in my book.

Well there you go. We may have to swallow that £50-£60m hit anyway.

In terms of what we get out of this, as Nayim asked, is you send a message that we won't sell to direct rivals. You let players know that if they run down their contracts to go to a rival they may hurt their own careers. And most importantly, you don't give United a big boost as they attempt to overtake us in the Top 4 race. The effect of them getting Eriksen and us losing him could swing the pendulum well and truly in their favour.

We could make £50m and lose whatever CL qualification brings. It's not worth the risk in my book.

Yet you seem to forget, we dont get to "win" in the way you put it.

Eriksen can spend the year with us going through the motions, and then move to Utd anyway. So what do we gain? Nothing.

There is no lesson learned. Only that, perhaps, if you are Utd its more effective (and cost effective) to tap a player up and wait a season than it is to bother trying to deal with us. Im not sure how thats a win.

Thats a pretty worthless message, IMHO.

We also teach players to resist long term deals, because they will need to consider their desire to keep their options open, meaning we effectively negate our ability to get long term stability with the squad.

Another pretty worthless message, IMO.

Another worthless message is what is says to prospective signings. We have become the club we have on the back of buying potential and being a route to the mega teams. If we suddenly block that path, in a rather petty manner, what does it say to the players we are trying to attract?

And the £50m we lose (actually think more like £60m personally) - that equates to half what we made getting to the CL FINAL. It is an enormous amount of money.

It pays for NDombele, for example.

And if Eriksen goes, it pays for his replacement. Good luck just plucking that money out of the air when he goes on a free...

What if, instead, we let him go. We maximise profit. We replace him and improve our team/squad in doing so. And finish above Utd anyway?

What if, them spending big money on a player with a short deal, actually doesnt improve them significantly enough to make any real difference?

What if, we judge this whole scenario to be in our favour? There is far more to be gained from doing business than from "sending messages"

Yet you seem to forget, we dont get to "win" in the way you put it.

Eriksen can spend the year with us going through the motions, and then move to Utd anyway. So what do we gain? Nothing.

There is no lesson learned. Only that, perhaps, if you are Utd its more effective (and cost effective) to tap a player up and wait a season than it is to bother trying to deal with us. Im not sure how thats a win.

Thats a pretty worthless message, IMHO.

We also teach players to resist long term deals, because they will need to consider their desire to keep their options open, meaning we effectively negate our ability to get long term stability with the squad.

Another pretty worthless message, IMO.

Another worthless message is what is says to prospective signings. We have become the club we have on the back of buying potential and being a route to the mega teams. If we suddenly block that path, in a rather petty manner, what does it say to the players we are trying to attract?

And the £50m we lose (actually think more like £60m personally) - that equates to half what we made getting to the CL FINAL. It is an enormous amount of money.

It pays for NDombele, for example.

And if Eriksen goes, it pays for his replacement. Good luck just plucking that money out of the air when he goes on a free...

What if, instead, we let him go. We maximise profit. We replace him and improve our team/squad in doing so. And finish above Utd anyway?

What if, them spending big money on a player with a short deal, actually doesnt improve them significantly enough to make any real difference?

What if, we judge this whole scenario to be in our favour? There is far more to be gained from doing business than from "sending messages"

Did blocking Modric to Chelsea put anyone off signing for us?

Did blocking Suarez to Arsenal put anyone off signing for Liverpool?

Did blocking Heinze to Liverpool put anyone off signing for United?

There is no “win” for us if Eriksen wants to go. We’re trying to find the least worst option. Personally, I don’t like the idea of him sitting the season out but I like it better than selling him to United. I think the more likely scenario if it came to it, is that we sell him abroad. We have 3 - 4 weeks. He’s an excellent player. If I was Levy and this is the scenario he is faced with, I’d find a buyer abroad and take a 10-20m hit on the price.

Did blocking Modric to Chelsea put anyone off signing for us?

Did blocking Suarez to Arsenal put anyone off signing for Liverpool?

Did blocking Heinze to Liverpool put anyone off signing for United?

There is no “win” for us if Eriksen wants to go. We’re trying to find the least worst option. Personally, I don’t like the idea of him sitting the season out but I like it better than selling him to United. I think the more likely scenario if it came to it, is that we sell him abroad. We have 3 - 4 weeks. He’s an excellent player. If I was Levy and this is the scenario he is faced with, I’d find a buyer abroad and take a 10-20m hit on the price.

All of which made big money moves anyway.

We sold Modric to Madrid. So what changed making a stand against Chelsea? Nothing. We sold Bale in a similar way a couple of years later!

Suarez stayed a year and went to Barca and Liverpool werent left looking like a big club then, were they?

And both these players had time on their contracts. Which reduced having waited a year, but still meant they held value.

This is not comparable to Eriksen, you must appreciate that?

Least worst situation?
1) We sell Eriksen to Utd. We get enough money to sign Fernandes. We have a committed, younger player, they have Eriksen.
2) We keep Eriksen, get no money, Utd sign him anyway next summer (tapped up already long before then). But we get to "send messages". Whatever that achieves.
3) We sell Eriksen abroad. Most likely after the window closes. We are down a key player and now struggling the first half of the season.

Least worst? 1) for me.

All of which made big money moves anyway.

We sold Modric to Madrid. So what changed making a stand against Chelsea? Nothing. We sold Bale in a similar way a couple of years later!

Suarez stayed a year and went to Barca and Liverpool werent left looking like a big club then, were they?

And both these players had time on their contracts. Which reduced having waited a year, but still meant they held value.

This is not comparable to Eriksen, you must appreciate that?

Least worst situation?
1) We sell Eriksen to Utd. We get enough money to sign Fernandes. We have a committed, younger player, they have Eriksen.
2) We keep Eriksen, get no money, Utd sign him anyway next summer (tapped up already long before then). But we get to "send messages". Whatever that achieves.
3) We sell Eriksen abroad. Most likely after the window closes. We are down a key player and now struggling the first half of the season.

Least worst? 1) for me.

Didn’t we lose £10m on Modric because we held on to him for a year longer. IIRC, Chelsea would have paid £40m and we got £30m.

Liverpool looked stronger for having resisted Arsenal. Everyone sort of views Mardrid and Barcelona as the clubs you can’t say no to so selling Suarez there was what most clubs would have done. Selling him to Arsenal would have made them look a bit weak.

Either way, the fact us and the Dippers got fees makes no difference. The point I was responding to was how players would view us if we made Eriksen stay. They’d view us the same as players have viewed us and Liverpool since the Modric and Suarez incidents (and United with Heinze). Pretty much the same.

You’ve got some big assumptions in your list of choices. Would United come back in for him next year anyway? They might not. Why do we have to be down a player by holding on to him and selling him abroad. If Levy has a whiff he wants to go to United, he should sign Fernandes or Lo Celso now and sell Eriksen abroad even if it costs us £10m-£20m even if that takes 2-3 weeks.

Didn’t we lose £10m on Modric because we held on to him for a year longer. IIRC, Chelsea would have paid £40m and we got £30m.

Liverpool looked stronger for having resisted Arsenal. Everyone sort of views Mardrid and Barcelona as the clubs you can’t say no to so selling Suarez there was what most clubs would have done. Selling him to Arsenal would have made them look a bit weak.

Either way, the fact us and the Dippers got fees makes no difference. The point I was responding to was how players would view us if we made Eriksen stay. They’d view us the same as players have viewed us and Liverpool since the Modric and Suarez incidents (and United with Heinze). Pretty much the same.

You’ve got some big assumptions in your list of choices. Would United come back in for him next year anyway? They might not. Why do we have to be down a player by holding on to him and selling him abroad. If Levy has a whiff he wants to go to United, he should sign Fernandes or Lo Celso now and sell Eriksen abroad even if it costs us £10m-£20m even if that takes 2-3 weeks.

Cant remember the details on the money with Modric, but also think its beside the point. We clung onto him for a season and lost him anyway. Wasnt really a step up in our credibility IMO. As I say, exact same happened with Bale afterwards.

The money actually makes a tremendous difference, one example is profitable, the other is literally throwing money away to make a point.

Honestly, I highly doubt players view it as you do. I highly doubt any of them thought "Oooo dont Liverpool look strong, they said no to Arsenal!"

Put yourself in a players shoes, why would the perception of "big clubness" even matter to you? What matters? Money. Success. And your own career,
getting the moves you want to get. Going somewhere like Liverpool or Spurs knowing it will put you on the radar of Madrid etc. I struggle to understand, from a players perspective, the appeal of a club that refuses to deal.

My assumptions? Its all assumptions. But I am just trying to be pragmatic about it.

Will Eriksen go to Utd next year? Honestly - does it even matter? We will be losing him on a free with no say in where he goes. Thats the actual point.
Utd can offer him more money and save cash next summer, as can many other sides. We lose money guaranteed though.

Why would we be down a player? Economics.

Can we afford to buy first, then risk not selling Eriksen? Or being extorted on the selling price because the buying club know how desperate we would be to fund the already bought Fernandes?

I dont know our accounts well enough to say, but my guess is we dont have £60-70m to gamble with, and would need to know we had Eriksen money coming in first to be able to pursue Fernandes.

I thought he was supposed to have said he was happy to stay here unless Barça or Madrid wanted him. Now it's his dream to play for United all of a sudden? I don't get it.... unless we're actually trying to push him to them.

I thought he was supposed to have said he was happy to stay here unless Barça or Madrid wanted him. Now it's his dream to play for United all of a sudden? I don't get it.... unless we're actually trying to push him to them.

While Im sure Eriksen is happy to stick around a year awaiting his dream move, I think we know how Levy operates well enough to suggest that he will want Eriksen to sign a deal or he will cash in on him now.

I also find Eriksens comments quite disappointing. As in, you know, hes comfortable here and it wouldnt be the worst thing to stay, but he is also kind of bored/in a rut and looking for something new and interesting...

How encouraging is that!? I do genuinely question what we could expect from him performance wise if he stays.

They finished a lot closer to us than we did to City or Liverpool. It’d be madness to write them off. Moreso if they get one of our best players.

Yes they are. They’ve won more trophies than us in the last decade and have finished above us plenty of times including just two seasons ago. Saying they’re not a rival is seriously deluded.

Could not agree more with both the above. I have seen/heard so much rubbish from our fans saying that Utd are NOT a big club anymore, they are no a rival for us, they will be in the wilderness for years etc,etc.

Madness, and IF they get Eriksen with the two GOOD signings they have made they are on the way to becoming a good side again.

Back