• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Some Internet bollox doing the rounds that we want to swap defo and some cash for Benteke

As much as I'd like to have Benteke, I can't see this offer (if true) being accepted. Lambert has built a team around Benteke's strengths and left Bent on the bench for a season. Why would he want another poacher in his squad when his style of football doesn't involve someone of that ilk

As much as I'd like to have Benteke, I can't see this offer (if true) being accepted. Lambert has built a team around Benteke's strengths and left Bent on the bench for a season. Why would he want another poacher in his squad when his style of football doesn't involve someone of that ilk

Defoe's a poacher ?

Defoe and Bent are only similar from the point of view that they often contribute very little (yes, we have done this argument before), when not scoring.

Other than that, Defoe creates a fair amount of his goals from nothing, i.e. get him the ball, he looks up, sees goal, shoots, rinse and repeat.
Bent is far more a traditional poacher, lurk in/around box looking for cross/rebound/deflection, head/foot/ass doesn't matter.

Re Benteke, still not convinced .. but if that's who AVB wants ...

Defoe and Bent are only similar from the point of view that they often contribute very little (yes, we have done this argument before), when not scoring.

Other than that, Defoe creates a fair amount of his goals from nothing, i.e. get him the ball, he looks up, sees goal, shoots, rinse and repeat.
Bent is far more a traditional poacher, lurk in/around box looking for cross/rebound/deflection, head/foot/ass doesn't matter.

Re Benteke, still not convinced .. but if that's who AVB wants ...

That was the point I was making. Benteke holds the ball up well and gives the rest of the team time to join an attack. Whereas Defoe has clearly tried working on this side of his game, it is not his strength and his main focus will always be goals

That was the point I was making. Benteke holds the ball up well and gives the rest of the team time to join an attack. Whereas Defoe has clearly tried working on this side of his game, it is not his strength and his main focus will always be goals

Just from his sheer size and strength he gives his team the options of the long ball, crosses into a crowded box and hold up play at least. That alone makes him a more complete player than Defoe and Bent imo. I also think he's better on the ball than Bent at the very least and most likely also Defoe.

The combination of strength, height, a bit of pace, technical ability and goalscoring talent is fairly rare and very useful. For me the only question about Benteke is if he will continue scoring like he has this season, if so he would undoubtedly be good enough to be a starter for us. If he is worth what Villa will be asking is a very different question though.

its not just strength when holding up the ball. balance and some trickery are still best. siggy and ade are really good at it. defoe just doesn't have the "outfox the guy following me" instinct

Anyone watching the Belgium-Serbia game?

Hilarious misses from Benteke.
Seems to get his footing wrong all too often.

Anyone watching the Belgium-Serbia game?

Hilarious misses from Benteke.
Seems to get his footing wrong all too often.

I never worry about how many chances a forward misses. I instead concentrate on how many goals they score. A player that gets himself in a position to score a goal 8 times per game and converts at a rate of 1 in 8 is better than a striker who gets himself in a position to score twice in a game and converts at a rate of 1 goal for every 4 chances. The perfect example was Andy Cole who used to be villified about his conversion rate. However Alex Ferguson knew that he guaranteed him over 20 goals a season.

From what I have seen of Benteke he offers a good combination of physical presence, link up play, and the awareness, strength and positioning in the penalty area to ensure that chances fall to him.

My thoughts are that he would be an upgrade on what we have currently. He would be expensive, but his age is such that he would still represent an investment even at the high price Villa would want for him. £24 million or whatever it is could even end up proving a bargain.... Just like the similar amount of money that Chelsea spent on Drogba all those years ago proved to be despite Drogba being older and unproven in a top league.

Its how many a player scores which matters, not what he misses. I have seen the greatest ever ( Greaves) miss them.

His ball control was pretty poor too in that game.

He's definitely still a raw product. I would not like to see us pay more than 15-17m for him (wishful thinking)

Its how many a player scores which matters, not what he misses. I have seen the greatest ever ( Greaves) miss them.

Is there not a point by where they miss so many that they become counter-productive? I'm not referring to Benteke here, but in general.

Is there not a point by where they miss so many that they become counter-productive? I'm not referring to Benteke here, but in general.

Never said it was or not, but all great strikers miss chances and always will. I do not know what Spurs strikers you has actually watched but i have seen them all from Greaves down, and even the best Allen, Archibald, Klinsman, Lineker have missed plenty.

Back