• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

While I appreciate the point you make about the price compared to the players you mention, you also have to consider that unfortunately we couldn't hope to attract the players above and we certainly couldn't afford to pay their wages within our wage structure.

We were actually on the verge of signing Benteke in 2013 for less than we eventually agreed to pay for Soldado before our manager at the time pulled the plug on the deal.

What makes you say that?

Since then Villa's hand has been strengthened by Benteke signing a new contract, but weakened again by his subsequent injury and his lack of goalscoring since he came back from that. I would harzard a guess that he could be prised away from Villa for about £20 million and that isn't a bad price to pay for him really. I guess the question is whether Pochettino wants us to play with a powerful, physical number 9 or ideally wants a more mobile, pacy one?

Villa seem to have been asking for over £30M all along - I'm not sure why they'd drop their price now. Villa certainly can't attract anyone to replace him and despite his current lack of goals desperately need to keep him.

What makes you say that?

Villa seem to have been asking for over £30M all along - I'm not sure why they'd drop their price now. Villa certainly can't attract anyone to replace him and despite his current lack of goals desperately need to keep him.

A friend of mine was working on the deal back in 2013.

The reason why I think Villa might drop their price now is because they have a number of issues to address in their squad and not too many sellable assets. Remember also that they'll lose Vlaar and Delph in the Summer on free transfers. I think we'd probably have to wait until the summer to get him due to Villa's precarious position in the league, but I think there is a definitely a deal to be done there at a 'reasonable' fee. Like I said before though I'm not sure where he is the sort of striker that Pochettino is looking for.... I wonder whether he wants somebody with quicker feet (in which case can we please stop farting around and just go and sign Berahino).

A friend of mine was working on the deal back in 2013.

Sorry, but I'll need a lot more than that. Especially when that insider knowledge seems to match up so perfectly with a preconceived opinion you have.

The reason why I think Villa might drop their price now is because they have a number of issues to address in their squad and not too many sellable assets. Remember also that they'll lose Vlaar and Delph in the Summer on free transfers. I think we'd probably have to wait until the summer to get him due to Villa's precarious position in the league, but I think there is a definitely a deal to be done there at a 'reasonable' fee. Like I said before though I'm not sure where he is the sort of striker that Pochettino is looking for.... I wonder whether he wants somebody with quicker feet (in which case can we please stop farting around and just go and sign Berahino).

That's pretty sound reasoning. As I said in 2013 - if he's available for £15M with the rest made up in performance clauses then that's a good deal.

Sorry, but I'll need a lot more than that. Especially when that insider knowledge seems to match up so perfectly with a preconceived opinion you have.

That's pretty sound reasoning. As I said in 2013 - if he's available for £15M with the rest made up in performance clauses then that's a good deal.

I know believing me doesn't suit your agenda and that is fine.

My thoughts are that if it was £15 million cash and another £5 to £7 milliion of clauses that are likely to actually be invoked (i.e. £1 million for every 15 games played for us or something like that) then there is probably a deal to be done. Benteke's star is not shining as brightly as it was back in 2013 and we are probably the biggest club that want/need him (although that is subject to what type of CF our manager wants as I'm not too sure yet myself).

I would still be more in favour of us chucking the same sort of money at Berahino - although it doesn't appear as though we are interested there?

For a "statto" you really seem to undervalue the concept of sample size.

Would never describe myself as this.
I just think Benteke is a form striker that scores in streaks and always has done.

I would not pay the type of money talked about for a streaky goalscorer.

He has just returned from a major injury and in a struggling Villa side, what we should look at is before his injury he scored 29 goals in 60 Prem matches.

Villa's results have been much better without him than with him this season.
With Benteke: wdwwllddd 1.44 points per game
Without him: llllwwldlddl 0.75 points per game

I think ModricTHFC is just proving that he isn't a statto by getting muddled and quoting tiny sample sizes with a billion other variables muddled in.

I think ModricTHFC is just proving that he isn't a statto by getting muddled and quoting tiny sample sizes with a billion other variables muddled in.

Probably suits his agenda though. The truth of the matter is that before his bad injury he had scored 29 goals in 60 Prem matches, he has just turned 24 and is what we need up front.

I know believing me doesn't suit your agenda and that is fine.

Agreed - we'll just have to park that one.

My thoughts are that if it was £15 million cash and another £5 to £7 milliion of clauses that are likely to actually be invoked (i.e. £1 million for every 15 games played for us or something like that) then there is probably a deal to be done. Benteke's star is not shining as brightly as it was back in 2013 and we are probably the biggest club that want/need him (although that is subject to what type of CF our manager wants as I'm not too sure yet myself).

I would still be more in favour of us chucking the same sort of money at Berahino - although it doesn't appear as though we are interested there?

Again agreed on both counts. If our maximum risk on Benteke is £15M then it's a recoverable amount if it doesn't work out.

I like Berahino - he's my personal preference both in style and for the fact that he and Kane may be forming an England partnership.

Well if someone is gonna blame Villas form for Benteke not scoring I think its valid to point out Villa seem to get better results without him.
Of course the sample sizes are small and there many other variables its football.

People consistently **** themselves over every potential signing on here.

Benteke is not the answer.
He is not a team player.
When his goal dry up he adds nothing to the team.
He has an attitude problem.
He scores in streaks then goes weeks without. That shows hes a confidence player. They never work out at whl.

I cant see Benteke ever fitting into Poch's system. He is not going to put the work in.

Well if someone is gonna blame Villas form for Benteke not scoring I think its valid to point out Villa seem to get better results without him.
Of course the sample sizes are small and there many other variables its football.

People consistently **** themselves over every potential signing on here.

Benteke is not the answer.
He is not a team player.
When his goal dry up he adds nothing to the team.
He has an attitude problem.
He scores in streaks then goes weeks without. That shows hes a confidence player. They never work out at whl.

I cant see Benteke ever fitting into Poch's system. He is not going to put the work in.

I think Bullet's point was more than what you actually wrote above suggested the oppositie of what you are saying: that Villa get twice as many points WITH Benteke than without him....

Agreed - we'll just have to park that one.

Again agreed on both counts. If our maximum risk on Benteke is £15M then it's a recoverable amount if it doesn't work out.

I like Berahino - he's my personal preference both in style and for the fact that he and Kane may be forming an England partnership.

Ah so, you agree Benteke WOULD improve us. Hurrah for that. It is just a question of getting him at the right price. I agree. As I said, I think Aston Villa may be prepared to drop the price on him ( especially with Vlaar and Delphi getting frees in the summer) they may also be interested in taking some of our (ahem) squad players in part X. Could suit us both.

Berahino would also be a good signing but again depends on the price. He has apparently expressed a wish to join Liverscum though, the poor demented fool!

Ah so, you agree Benteke WOULD improve us. Hurrah for that. It is just a question of getting him at the right price. I agree. As I said, I think Aston Villa may be prepared to drop the price on him ( especially with Vlaar and Delphi getting frees in the summer) they may also be interested in taking some of our (ahem) squad players in part X. Could suit us both.

Berahino would also be a good signing but again depends on the price. He has apparently expressed a wish to join Liverscum though, the poor demented fool!

It is not clear to me why would Villa losing two players for nothing or next to nothing make them more likely to drop the price of their most saleable asset?

It is not clear to me why would Villa losing two players for nothing or next to nothing make them more likely to drop the price of their most saleable asset?

Simply because they would be under increased pressure to cash in that asset to effectively replace two (and with him, three) first team players. I also think that his stock has gone down at present and who apart from us in the top six need a big cf? It's all about demand and supply. I don't think we have that much competition for him at the moment and therefore we might be able to conclude a more favourable deal, especially as we can offer them a plethora of players that would probably improve them from the Shyte the are now.

Date
Edit
June 30

Simply because they would be under increased pressure to cash in that asset to effectively replace two (and with him, three) first team players. I also think that his stock has gone down at present and who apart from us in the top six need a big cf? It's all about demand and supply. I don't think we have that much competition for him at the moment and therefore we might be able to conclude a more favourable deal, especially as we can offer them a plethora of players that would probably improve them from the Shyte the are now.

Date
Edit
June 30

I can see that they might be interested in some of our players in part exchange but it is a seller's market when it comes to Premier League strikers and unless his form or his fitness goes to pot, I doubt that we could get Benteke for much less than £25m.

I can see that they might be interested in some of our players in part exchange but it is a seller's market when it comes to Premier League strikers and unless his form or his fitness goes to pot, I doubt that we could get Benteke for much less than £25m.

Still worth trying to put a deal together IMO. Especially one based on incentives and player exchange. If he fires us to ECL places or a cup it will be money well spent. We have needed a top cf ever since Berbs went (excluding half a season from Ade)

Still worth trying to put a deal together IMO. Especially one based on incentives and player exchange. If he fires us to ECL places or a cup it will be money well spent. We have needed a top cf ever since Berbs went (excluding half a season from Ade)
He's not at Berbatov's level - not even close.

I think that Benteke is alright but I am not sure that he is sufficiently better than other possible options (Ings, Berahino) who would cost significantly less and I am not convinced that he is better suited to Poch's preferred way of playing than them either.

I think that Benteke is alright but I am not sure that he is sufficiently better than other possible options (Ings, Berahino) who would cost significantly less and I am not convinced that he is better suited to Poch's preferred way of playing than them either.

Poch played with a big cf whenever possible at Soton last season - and Lambert isn't exactly the most mobile and Koeman has continued this system with Pelle this season. So if you are going to play with one up front, then this type of player would seem essential to it for both Poch and Koeman.

Back