• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Well that's that then. I would say now let's move on but people will still be talking about us signing him for the next 3 transfer windows.

With reason! He is probably the best CF we can get at this stage even though you clearly persist in the belief that we don't need him

I'm sure he's really looking forward to linking up with Ryan Mason.

I think he'd improve us for sure, but I'm not convinced he's what we need. A bit of extra pace and power in attack is always nice, but what we really lack is technically skilled players who can dribble past opponents. He doesn't fall under that category.

I think he'd improve us for sure, but I'm not convinced he's what we need. A bit of extra pace and power in attack is always nice, but what we really lack is technically skilled players who can dribble past opponents. He doesn't fall under that category.

I disagree that is what we need.... Kane, Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon and Chadli are all attacking players can all dribble past opponents. I don't think it is necessary for us to require our number 9 to do this as well.

Can you name any forwards s that fit that description that would be available and within our reach financially?

I disagree that is what we need.... Kane, Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon and Chadli are all attacking players can all dribble past opponents. I don't think it is necessary for us to require our number 9 to do this as well.

No, those guys try dribbling past opponents and get tackled a lot. There's a big difference. Kane and Eriksen sometimes manage to get past people but neither are really blessed with any real pace and I don't think the dribbling skills are anywhere near their best attributes. In none of the games we've struggled to break opponents down in have I thought - "You know we could really do with a bit more physical presence up front", it's always been a problem of a lack of footballing ability.

No, those guys try dribbling past opponents and get tackled a lot. There's a big difference. Kane and Eriksen sometimes manage to get past people but neither are really blessed with any real pace and I don't think the dribbling skills are anywhere near their best attributes. In none of the games we've struggled to break opponents down in have I thought - "You know we could really do with a bit more physical presence up front", it's always been a problem of a lack of footballing ability.

That's exactly the diametrical opposite of what I think in the same situation...

Benteke?!?
He's got 2 goals in 895 minutes in the premier league this season.
Erik Dier has got a better goals per minutes ratio.
As does Adebayor (!!) and Andros Townsend(!!)

Benteke?!?

He is coming back from a serious injury in a shyte side. From what I have seen, he completely dominated us at Villa Park was unlucky with a shot that hit that've crossbar and could have had a hat trick. He has also won two games for Villa this season singlehandedly - more than Ade, Solly and Townsend combined have managed for us this season!!!!!

Best time to buy him is now when he is not being overhyped.

Last edited:
He is coming back from a serious injury in a shyte side. From what I have seen, he completely dominated us at Villa Park was unlucky with a shot that hit that've crossbar and could have had a hat trick. He has also won two games for Villa this season singlehandedly - more than Ade, Solly and Townsend combined have managed for us this season!!!!!

Best time to buy him is now when he is not being overhyped.

He's been back playing in the premier league for 3 full months now.

Isn't that purely because they have no-one in the middle they trust to pass to

Benteke?!?

Those stats aren't good are they but he looked a real handful against us.
How is he playing besides the goals?

Benteke?!?

For a "statto" you really seem to undervalue the concept of sample size.

That's exactly the diametrical opposite of what I think in the same situation...

Agreed.

Think it would be a major benefit, like Lambert was at Southampton for Poch.

Benteke?!?

He has just returned from a major injury and in a struggling Villa side, what we should look at is before his injury he scored 29 goals in 60 Prem matches.

:ross:

He's been massively overhyped for well over a season now - that's why Villa were quoting such a ridiculous fee last season.

You are incredibly negative about Ade, SoldAdo and Townsend. Yet you don't think Benteke would improve us. Who do you think that we could realistically buy would fit that bill?

Isn't that purely because they have no-one in the middle they trust to pass to

I think Kane, Eriksen, Mason and Bentaleb would probably be the safest players in our team to trust to pass to. Our wingers get tackled A LOT because of a lack of dribbling ability.

You are incredibly negative about Ade, SoldAdo and Townsend. Yet you don't think Benteke would improve us. Who do you think that we could realistically buy would fit that bill?

I think he'd improve us, I just think Villa want silly money for him.

I don't know what ridiculous number they've pulled out of their **** this season, but in 2013 they wanted over £30M. At that time, £30M was:

£8M short of a James Rodriguez
£8M short of an Aguero
£5M short of a Falcao
£4M short of a Higuain or a Fabregas
£2M short of a David Villa or a Diego Costa

Now if he's available at a price worth spending, great but let's not go throwing world class money after PL level strikers.

I think he'd improve us, I just think Villa want silly money for him.

I don't know what ridiculous number they've pulled out of their **** this season, but in 2013 they wanted over £30M. At that time, £30M was:

£8M short of a James Rodriguez
£8M short of an Aguero
£5M short of a Falcao
£4M short of a Higuain or a Fabregas
£2M short of a David Villa or a Diego Costa

Now if he's available at a price worth spending, great but let's not go throwing world class money after PL level strikers.

While I appreciate the point you make about the price compared to the players you mention, you also have to consider that unfortunately we couldn't hope to attract the players above and we certainly couldn't afford to pay their wages within our wage structure.

We were actually on the verge of signing Benteke in 2013 for less than we eventually agreed to pay for Soldado before our manager at the time pulled the plug on the deal.

Since then Villa's hand has been strengthened by Benteke signing a new contract, but weakened again by his subsequent injury and his lack of goalscoring since he came back from that. I would harzard a guess that he could be prised away from Villa for about £20 million and that isn't a bad price to pay for him really. I guess the question is whether Pochettino wants us to play with a powerful, physical number 9 or ideally wants a more mobile, pacy one?

Last edited:
Back