• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Choose your CB pairing now the window is closed

Which CB pairing?

• Kaboul & Chiriches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kaboul & Dier

• Fazio & Kaboul

• Fazio & Chiriches

• Dier & Chiriches

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got to be Fazio and Verts.

Dier to understudy Fazio. Chiriches to understudy Verts.

Kaboul is finished at this level sadly.

Dier stikes me as more of the 'ball playing' centre back mould and the one who would sweep up in behind a ball winner. I'm not sure I'd want to see a pairing of him and Chiriches even if it was last resort. Although anything to keep Kaboul as far away from the starting 11 as possible at the moment.

I hate this kind of statement. Kaboul is still coming back from a lengthy injury. He is struggling a bit at the moment but that could just be confidence and match sharpness. I agree that Fazio should be in the team ahead of him but to write him off on scant evidence seems silly to me.

Kaboul hasn't had a good game for us in about 3 years. If people weren't prepared to be patient with Sandro (who is a lot younger than Kaboul and was showing many more signs of regaining fitness and form), I don't see why Kaboul deserves us turning a blind eye to his appaulingness.

I think the only reason Kaboul is still here is a combination of Moreno's injury, Musacchio's third party issues and Walker's injury (meaning Dier is needed at RB). I'm sure he'll be gone in January (or if not he's out-of-contract in June).

Dier stikes me as more of the 'ball playing' centre back mould and the one who would sweep up in behind a ball winner. I'm not sure I'd want to see a pairing of him and Chiriches even if it was last resort. Although anything to keep Kaboul as far away from the starting 11 as possible at the moment.

I do agree, but at the moment, at 6'3", he's our next best physical option after Fazio.

I think I'd rather see Chiriches-Dier than Chiriches-Verts.

Kaboul hasn't had a good game for us in about 3 years. If people weren't prepared to be patient with Sandro (who is a lot younger than Kaboul and was showing many more signs of regaining fitness and form), I don't see why Kaboul deserves us turning a blind eye to his appaulingness.

I think the only reason Kaboul is still here is a combination of Moreno's injury, Musacchio's third party issues and Walker's injury (meaning Dier is needed at RB). I'm sure he'll be gone in January (or if not he's out-of-contract in June).
He's played a total of 16 Premier League games in 2012/13 and 2013/14. It is possible that his injury problems mean that he is finished at the top level but it is also possible that he will recover and regain his form. The same is equally true of Sandro but I think that it is difficult for us to comment because we do not have access to the information needed to make an informed judgement.

Am I the only one that isn't all that impressed with Vertonghen? Don't really see what he brings that should make him first choice.

Nope, I am with you mate. I'm struggling to see what his outstanding attributes are right now. If we want a ball playing centre half, then Chiriches seems a better choice. But first season he was good, but I've never seen him as an outstanding defender. Dawson was one of the few we have who loved to defend. He was unfortunately error prone. Ledders made it look like an art form. Like the italians

So many votes to see Fazio and Verts. The shiny new toy wins out again. Sorry but I need to see Fazio play a little first. I have lost faith in Kaboul and for me Chriches though talented is Verts understudy.

So ill go with Dier and Verts. Dier has shown he can handle tricky players and looks composed and has a bit of speed. Verts though not playing at his best still has the talent.

Am I the only one that isn't all that impressed with Vertonghen? Don't really see what he brings that should make him first choice.

Seconded, wildly overrated by our support. So slow and gets dragged out of position all too easily by intelligent attackers.

However we don't have a glut of good centre backs so he still deserves a spot in our team. In the poll there is no option for Chiriches and Vertonghen. I would like to see them given a chance to establish a partnership. Chiriches was inconsistent last year, sometimes he was very good and other times got bullied very easily, but he's quick and in Pochettino's system you need at least one of your centre backs to be rapid incase the high-line gets breached.

I can see why people have picked Vertonghen and Fazio, but agree with those who say we need to see the latter play first.

But why do we need to pick two? We can play Dier-Fazio-Chiriches-Vertonghen. :p

That makes me think we could have a very good back three, as it would suit Dier and Verthonghen. Walker and Rose might be more comfortable as wing backs and we don't play classic wingers anyway. Strangely we seem to have bought as if we got LVG more than United have.

Seconded, wildly overrated by our support. So slow and gets dragged out of position all too easily by intelligent attackers.

However we don't have a glut of good centre backs so he still deserves a spot in our team. In the poll there is no option for Chiriches and Vertonghen. I would like to see them given a chance to establish a partnership. Chiriches was inconsistent last year, sometimes he was very good and other times got bullied very easily, but he's quick and in Pochettino's system you need at least one of your centre backs to be rapid incase the high-line gets breached.

Neither can head the ball or are very aggressive. They are both more sweepers than first challenge CBs.

I rate both highly, but it would be the worst partnership since Keane and Defoe

Fazio and Dier based on absolutely didley squat....but they're the newest sparkly shiny thing that will carry us to glory....they are the NUTS

but i tell you now, if they put ONE foot out of place or GHod forbid misplace a pass then we have to seriously consider moving them on in January.

Fazio and Dier based on absolutely didley squat....but they're the newest sparkly shiny thing that will carry us to glory....they are the NUTS

but i tell you now, if they put ONE foot out of place or GHod forbid misplace a pass then we have to seriously consider moving them on in January.

I'd that was the case, Dier would have went yesterday after the shambles that was Liverpool.

I think we will go first match Fazio & Kaboul but its probably not my choice as I think Kaboul needs dropping

Last edited:
Can I just say though, that barring one awful mistake in the first match, Kaboul was very good against West Ham, Limassol and QPR. So was our defending in general, so one bad display against Liverpool does not = scrapheap just yet.

Single center back pairing of Khumalo will do the trick

BAE to deal with the left side and everyone else can camp out in their box. Hopefully Khumalo is a decent hoofer or we could use Townsend to run the length of pitch with the ball every time we attack.

BAE to deal with the left side and everyone else can camp out in their box. Hopefully Khumalo is a decent hoofer or we could use Townsend to run the length of pitch with the ball every time we attack.

There's no way Townsend will run the length of the pitch WITH the ball. He'll get to half-way then either be tackled or shoot into row Z

No Veljkovic, Capoue or Stambouli options?
Having not disappointed anyone yet the Fazio Veljkovic option would surely win out.

Back