• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cheatski are still scum

It doesn't even need to be the philosophy.

If results matter, then the big young lad who can overwhelm attackers and hoof it will be a better bet. That means a smaller more skilled defender will get overlooked in young age groups.

Proper long-term player development needs to look at more than the short-term results. Hopefully the recent changes you hint at will make a difference. I fear that the changes are only at the elite clubs and that the vast majority of kids still face the old way. The Huths may no longer dominate the academies, but they will still be key in schools and at the park.

That's why we are so lucky (and it probably was just by chance) that Dier found himself in Portugal aged 10. I could see him being a Huth type defender if not for the fine work of the sporting lisbon academy.

We've ended up with the best of both worlds.

And on the subject of coaching, one of the best things I read about was the Brazilian coin system. Basically the kids turn up and take a coin which in turn has a number in it and that's their position for the game. It means players have an awareness of other positions and creates flexibility. That in turn means players can adapt but also be string defensively and as well as attack and maybe okay both sides of the pitch or even in goal

I don't know how commonly it's used but I love that ideal

I can not say much about how the Brazilian system works but i was lucky enough to spend time at the Ajax academy in the 90's, they often would not play players in certain posistions but swapped them around. They said it helps give youngsters a better all round view of what it takes in all posistions and helps them become better all round players ( they also put very little emphasis on the resuts of the youth games).

I think its true to say that Ajax ( its was the same at Feyenoord) have turned out a lot of very good players.

Last edited:
I think the dutch have the right idea with their development, but coaches can only give the players the tools to do the job to a level, the step up to a top player is in the boys head and that's the hardest thing to manage.

I think the dutch have the right idea with their development, but coaches can only give the players the tools to do the job to a level, the step up to a top player is in the boys head and that's the hardest thing to manage.

Very true, but if you put less pressure on the kids to achieve results and more on letting them enjoy what they are doing the better chance you have to see good results.

One would think it would be impossible for the bastards to get any more unlikeable. Well think again!
Real Madrid contract rebel Pepe considering Chelsea switch at end of season

One would think it would be impossible for the bastards to get any more unlikeable. Well think again!
Real Madrid contract rebel Pepe considering Chelsea switch at end of season
Please please make this happen. I can just see him and Costa having a right barney on the pitch (or training ground) with each other for old times sake.

No charge for Fabregas then despite being one of the instigators in Saturday's melee? Such a little weasel isn't he?! Stirs it up in the press and during the game but doesn't have the gonad*s to actually put in any tough challenges himself. Wouldn't wish injury on him but would love Dier to bury him when we play them next month

No charge for Fabregas then despite being one of the instigators in Saturday's melee? Such a little weasel isn't he?! Stirs it up in the press and during the game but doesn't have the cobblers to actually put in any tough challenges himself. Wouldn't wish injury on him but would love Dier to bury him when we play them next month

Could a charge against Fabregas come a bit later today or tomorrow - once the referee's report has been received?
Aguero is straightforward as it was a red card.
I can't remember with the Dembele incident when it was announced that he would face a charge.

Could a charge against Fabregas come a bit later today or tomorrow - once the referee's report has been received?
Aguero is straightforward as it was a red card.
I can't remember with the Dembele incident when it was announced that he would face a charge.

I fear that because Fabregas was booked after the brawl, no further action can be taken.
So a booking for a face-slap and a booking for Chalobah's shoving Aguero to the ground.
And that's it.

If I had money to spare, I would bet on this. They get away with everything without proper punishment. Worst case would be a "hefty" fine, which in Roman's world is the equivalent of about five pounds for us normal people.
Either that or the panel will serve the two points deduction in the knowledge that Chelsea will simply wheel out their top lawyers for the appeal and get it commuted.

Back