• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cheatski are still scum

If he were English he wouldn't be as talented. He'd have had the skill knocked out of him in favour of "You kick ball with head. You do cross. You do push. You do big slide tackle" years ago.

Do you think Dier would be the player he is now had he come up through the English system?
Probably yes.... I think Dier is simply a good player.... Just as Rio Ferdinand was a good player, Jonathan Woodgate was a good player, Ledley King was a good player, John Terry was a good player, Michael Carrick was a good player, etc, etc.

All of the above were coached at English clubs and all were fantastic defensively. I would much rather any of the above in defence than Luiz.

I actually wonder whether Luiz would've been a better player now if he had received better defensive coaching when he was a youngster. It seems to me that he has really good ball control and vision, but makes the same mistakes in terms of his decision making.

Probably yes.... I think Dier is simply a good player.... Just as Rio Ferdinand was a good player, Jonathan Woodgate was a good player, Ledley King was a good player, John Terry was a good player, Michael Carrick was a good player, etc, etc.

All of the above were coached at English clubs and all were fantastic defensively. I would much rather any of the above in defence than Luiz.

I actually wonder whether Luiz would've been a better player now if he had received better defensive coaching when he was a youngster. It seems to me that he has really good ball control and vision, but makes the same mistakes in terms of his decision making.

you have something there, although he would be the only Brazilian in history to have such coaching

Wasn't part of the problem with British defenders that British managers wanted them to get stuck in and not f*** about with the ball. When I started playing in the 50's defenders were expected to kick the ball as far away from goal as possible, the tactic hardly changed, Charles Hughes was the head of FA coaching in the 90's and his theory was drummed in the coaching system. Good players will come along and be able to control and pass the ball but the majority will be limited and that system stops defenders developing. Just look and England centrebacks, they continue to do their "Chuckle Brother" routine, "from me to you" in possession and bring the game to a standstill. Only Stones appears to have the confidence to move forward with the ball and he is endlessly criticized.

what about Pele, Ronaldo, Garrincha etc, Brazilian therefore overrated?

Maybe you would have preferred it if i said "many current Brazilian players are overrated"?
Are any of those i listed better than those you listed (who WERE world class)?

Anyway, i thought you would at least see my point straight away, seeing as you often proclaim that "goals are overrated"..

Maybe you would have preferred it if i said "many current Brazilian players are overrated"?
Are any of those i listed better than those you listed (who WERE world class)?

Anyway, i thought you would at least see my point straight away, seeing as you often proclaim that "goals are overrated"..

I don't think the current hyperbole relates to just players of a single nation, most active players are feted far beyond retired comparisons (other than Zlatan of course), it's an inevitable result of increased exposure

also, players should be rated on witnessed deeds, goals are overrated because they distort perception of a game, they exist on a different level

Wasn't part of the problem with British defenders that British managers wanted them to get stuck in and not f*** about with the ball. When I started playing in the 50's defenders were expected to kick the ball as far away from goal as possible, the tactic hardly changed, Charles Hughes was the head of FA coaching in the 90's and his theory was drummed in the coaching system. Good players will come along and be able to control and pass the ball but the majority will be limited and that system stops defenders developing. Just look and England centrebacks, they continue to do their "Chuckle Brother" routine, "from me to you" in possession and bring the game to a standstill. Only Stones appears to have the confidence to move forward with the ball and he is endlessly criticized.

What about Alf Ramsey? Wasn't his reputation as a defender based on his ability to play the ball out of defence?

Because his decision making and positioning skills are also poor. There seems to be a school of thought that being great on the ball and having good distribution are the most important part skills of goalkeepers and defenders these days and to hell with whether they can actually defend.

Back