• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cHARLIE aUSTIN

I would rather we did our own medical and made up our own minds if he was a player that we actually wanted.

We should have made a bid for him earlier if we wanted him. Is any money we may save by signign him at the end of the window worth losing say 5 or 6 pints in August? Same old Spurs

We should have made a bid for him earlier if we wanted him. Is any money we may save by signign him at the end of the window worth losing say 5 or 6 pints in August? Same old Spurs

I think it's the same old clap trap that insinuates Levy is the one holding things up and is desperate for an end of transfer window bargain.

This "same old Spurs" has led to us having our most successful period in the premier league, a state of the art training centre and having started work on a £400-£500m project that will be a game-changer to our finances and ability to challenge the elite.

It's just the same old rhetoric coming from people that can't quite believe that football transfers are a bit more complicated than picking up the phone and asking "how much do you want?....Really, that much. Sure, I'll transfer the money now. Pleasure doing business".

I think it's the same old clap trap that insinuates Levy is the one holding things up and is desperate for an end of transfer window bargain.

This "same old Spurs" has led to us having our most successful period in the premier league, a state of the art training centre and having started work on a £400-£500m project that will be a game-changer to our finances and ability to challenge the elite.

It's just the same old rhetoric coming from people that can't quite believe that football transfers are a bit more complicated than picking up the phone and asking "how much do you want?....Really, that much. Sure, I'll transfer the money now. Pleasure doing business".

How comes low end and mid table sides are signing players who traditionally would be considered above them? How comes clubs like Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa are able to 'have a go at it' yet we are hamstrung by the stadium. How comes we have been hamstrung by the stadium apparently since 2008 and if you look at clubs who have gone through this before - we can expect another 5-10 years of austerity once the bloody thing is built. So 20 years to build a stadium?

Look I like the sense of a plan this year, but I really do not believe that Poch would have thought he would be in this current situation. Aug 18th to make a low ball offer for a striker we desperately need? This is all very puzzling and I can see why fans are losing their heads, the press are mocking us and why there will big pressure if we lose on Sat. The lack of urgency and ambition shown this window is very concerning - yet it is Poch who will cop the flak when things inevitably go wrong. There are good players out there and a small net spend will not kill us.

Poch doesnt really want Austin and if we get him it will be because we won't pay up for Berhaino and in the final days Poch will need bums on seats so to speak. He might be a decent player but he isn't a good fit for us and won't be solving the various issues that we have. Right now, anyone will do and my bet it is might well be him who comes in to sit on our bench

Another post with to much sense in it for some, haters got to hate.

How comes low end and mid table sides are signing players who traditionally would be considered above them? How comes clubs like Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa are able to 'have a go at it' yet we are hamstrung by the stadium. How comes we have been hamstrung by the stadium apparently since 2008 and if you look at clubs who have gone through this before - we can expect another 5-10 years of austerity once the bloody thing is built. So 20 years to build a stadium?

Look I like the sense of a plan this year, but I really do not believe that Poch would have thought he would be in this current situation. Aug 18th to make a low ball offer for a striker we desperately need? This is all very puzzling and I can see why fans are losing their heads, the press are mocking us and why there will big pressure if we lose on Sat. The lack of urgency and ambition shown this window is very concerning - yet it is Poch who will cop the flak when things inevitably go wrong. There are good players out there and a small net spend will not kill us.

Poch doesnt really want Austin and if we get him it will be because we won't pay up for Berhaino and in the final days Poch will need bums on seats so to speak. He might be a decent player but he isn't a good fit for us and won't be solving the various issues that we have. Right now, anyone will do and my bet it is might well be him who comes in to sit on our bench

The possible reasons for the delays have been done to death but with at least some base. To assume that it is because Levy is penny-pinching is baseless is my point. I put a list of all of our transfers in the last couple of years to show that less than half of our signings have been made "last minute", yet this is what is being assumed.

As for the other clubs getting their targets well there could be a number of reasons, but it tends to fall into one of the following:

1. We were not interested in the first place because we thought that there were other better targets that we could get - This has relevance and precendent. VDV is one. You are not always going to be getting these decisions right because there is no guarantee that the better target will come. However, if it does work, you have made the better decision.

2. We just did not know that those players were available - It happens. You just have to make sure that your scouting network is better so that it does pick these up.

3. We decided that for whatever reason, that player was not a right fit for the club - Maybe Poch does not rate them, maybe we just don't think they are good enough. That judgment could be wrong, but that is what transfers are, a massive judgment.

As for your point about "anyone will do". Would Soldado?

We have a finite transfer budget. We overspend on one, that could be the difference in signing another. We, the fans, do not know what this is yet I find it incredulous that people automatically assume the worst on baseless rumour. People are being overly critical of a chairman that has greatly improved the club. He has managed to buy a number of good players, ensured that when we've had to sell we've got in a top price for it and yes, made a few mistakes as well. To assume that he is deliberately procrastinating in the hope of saving a few bob is baseless, because what sane business person would put the performances of their company at risk if they could avoid it? Yet, somehow people believe that he is actually doing just that.

@jimmyb put a stat out there that actually showed that we have spent more than Arsenal on gross transfer fees.

Yes, we have been trying to build the stadium since 2008. That delay was not because of Levy! As it goes, that delay has given us a better stadium with a lucrative NFL deal to boot.

You say lack of urgency and ambition in the transfer window and I say rubbish! Your assumption is that we could have signed Berahino two weeks ago. How do you know that? Transfer dealings take a long time and according to agents themselves http://www.skysports.com/transfer/n...ansfer-works-from-the-scouting-to-the-signing and it says that first bids are rejected 99.9% of the time. Yet people on here assume that that is Levy playing silly buggers and being "cheap" or "lacking ambition".

The truth is not something that we will know for certain. We don't know when our interest started or finished, but to assume that our interest in Berahino only started recently is again baseless. We will have scouted a number of different targets and he could very well have been number 20 on a list of 50. We can't come out and say that because how do you think the player himself would take it, let alone the fans.

As for the press taking the tinkle. Give a crap. They criticise everything. That's their job.

The possible reasons for the delays have been done to death but with at least some base. To assume that it is because Levy is penny-pinching is baseless is my point. I put a list of all of our transfers in the last couple of years to show that less than half of our signings have been made "last minute", yet this is what is being assumed.

As for the other clubs getting their targets well there could be a number of reasons, but it tends to fall into one of the following:

1. We were not interested in the first place because we thought that there were other better targets that we could get - This has relevance and precendent. VDV is one. You are not always going to be getting these decisions right because there is no guarantee that the better target will come. However, if it does work, you have made the better decision.

2. We just did not know that those players were available - It happens. You just have to make sure that your scouting network is better so that it does pick these up.

3. We decided that for whatever reason, that player was not a right fit for the club - Maybe Poch does not rate them, maybe we just don't think they are good enough. That judgment could be wrong, but that is what transfers are, a massive judgment.

As for your point about "anyone will do". Would Soldado?

We have a finite transfer budget. We overspend on one, that could be the difference in signing another. We, the fans, do not know what this is yet I find it incredulous that people automatically assume the worst on baseless rumour. People are being overly critical of a chairman that has greatly improved the club. He has managed to buy a number of good players, ensured that when we've had to sell we've got in a top price for it and yes, made a few mistakes as well. To assume that he is deliberately procrastinating in the hope of saving a few bob is baseless, because what sane business person would put the performances of their company at risk if they could avoid it? Yet, somehow people believe that he is actually doing just that.

@jimmyb put a stat out there that actually showed that we have spent more than Ar5ena1 on gross transfer fees.

Yes, we have been trying to build the stadium since 2008. That delay was not because of Levy! As it goes, that delay has given us a better stadium with a lucrative NFL deal to boot.

You say lack of urgency and ambition in the transfer window and I say rubbish! Your assumption is that we could have signed Berahino two weeks ago. How do you know that? Transfer dealings take a long time and according to agents themselves http://www.skysports.com/transfer/n...ansfer-works-from-the-scouting-to-the-signing and it says that first bids are rejected 99.9% of the time. Yet people on here assume that that is Levy playing silly buggers and being "cheap" or "lacking ambition".

The truth is not something that we will know for certain. We don't know when our interest started or finished, but to assume that our interest in Berahino only started recently is again baseless. We will have scouted a number of different targets and he could very well have been number 20 on a list of 50. We can't come out and say that because how do you think the player himself would take it, let alone the fans.

As for the press taking the tinkle. Give a crap. They criticise everything. That's their job.

Good response.

But to answer your key points that I don't agree.

1. Yes right now even soldado would do as we can't even name a bloody striker on the bench!

2. Some of our last min deals came at a time when we had very specific areas to improve and when we already had a team and squad brimmed with depth and quality - right now we have a small inexperienced squad and there are more targets that will be out there. Not getting another striker in before the season is poor - the same oversight that allowed us to play in a preseason tournament 3 days before the season..... MONEY OVER EVERYTHING.

3. I don't know its penny pinching. The point is nearly every club has been able to get their key players in already and will add some at the end too. We should never leave ourselves so short in any position. By all means improve late on but don't leave us fudged.

4. Why was the delay in the stadium nothing to do with us? The whole stratford saga, haggling with Haringey/Boris, issues with Archway Metal - I am pretty sure we could have been more focused and forward thinking in our approach here.

Good response.

But to answer your key points that I don't agree.

1. Yes right now even soldado would do as we can't even name a bloody striker on the bench!

2. Some of our last min deals came at a time when we had very specific areas to improve and when we already had a team and squad brimmed with depth and quality - right now we have a small inexperienced squad and there are more targets that will be out there. Not getting another striker in before the season is poor - the same oversight that allowed us to play in a preseason tournament 3 days before the season..... MONEY OVER EVERYTHING.

3. I don't know its penny pinching. The point is nearly every club has been able to get their key players in already and will add some at the end too. We should never leave ourselves so short in any position. By all means improve late on but don't leave us fudgeed.

4. Why was the delay in the stadium nothing to do with us? The whole stratford saga, haggling with Haringey/Boris, issues with Archway Metal - I am pretty sure we could have been more focused and forward thinking in our approach here.

Likewise ;)

1. Having just anyone is not the right thing to do long-term. The club has to think long-term as getting a Soldado did not really work out! I'd rather no-one than a player that is clearly not good enough;

2. The squad that got us to 5th in the league is still there. We have lost the older players that contributed negligble amounts to that performance. Yes, it's not great that we have not got a striker as backup to Kane or to even complement him, but again I say how can the insinuation that "money over everything" is the reason for us not signing. Do you really think that the club's management is sat there thinking "you know what, I think it is great that we only have one striker. We can save on the 4 weeks worth of wages of getting in another striker." If the difference was between signing a Soldado now, or a VDV later which option would you take?

3. That's not true. We've signed 4 players in areas that the club feels needed to improve. We're waiting for the remainder. Chelsea have only recently made their signings, Man United despite all their money still can't get their striker, and Arsenal have not got the striker that everyone seems to think that they will be getting. Liverpool have granted, but that is as much to their surprise as anyone's. Their Chief exec said as much in an interview that they were lucky that things fell into place for them. Emirates Marketing Project have not made many signings. The teams below us have, but there's still a lot of movement to happen. I would hazard a guess that a third of the total spend in this transfer window will happen in the last 2 weeks of it. It won't mostly be us.

4. Nothing to do with us was wrong of me. We of course had some impact. However, a) getting Archway out was not down to us. They challenged us, and by all accounts were either holding out for a much bigger sum or just didn't want to move b) the whole Stratford saga was all about getting us a better deal. If was the right business decision to use Stratford to change the ridiculous terms being offered to West Ham, but also to put pressure on Haringey to be more compliant with our own planning. For a £400-500m project that is the right thing to do.

If its not true Austin/QPR should sue him as this could severly affect his value and potential pay.If its more or less true then whole football world know this info anyway so Sullivan should keep quiet either way.

Yeah, it doesn't sound to me like he actually wrote that himself. Sounds a bit too intelligent to come from a British footballer. Sorry. :p

I think Levy has done brilliant things, but there are times when he plays the 'transfer game' for too long.At his most brilliant, he is on planes signing players like Modric at the end of seasons before tournaments and making sure Berbatov is in the bag pre-season. There are other times when he either simply doesn't get it done quickly enough. Granted, he will sometimes not play games with agents which is to be applauded, but let's look at Schneiderlein, a player we should've made a fair offer for immediately we knew Poch was coming. Instead we waited and relied upon the player forcing a move, and suddenly Soton sold a couple of other big boys, lost their manager and decided to say 'fudge you'. An early move there and the player would've been here is my guess. As for Njie, why did we not sign him during pre-season? Why did we prevaricate? Was it THAT big a price difference? Now we are in a desperate situation. I am not a huge Berahino-head, but he is probably the player we will end up with, we will probably get him end of next week and we will probably pay 25 million. I think he is royally overvalued, but again, is the extra 5 million worth it versus the points lost and games he hasn't played?

it's pretty much always in the players interest to wait as long as possible, it gives more time for a better offer to appear, makes them look better to the fans of the current club (important if the move fails) if they don't force it and gives them a stronger negotiating position if the window is close to closing

to take Berahinho as an example, he's in comfortable surroundings where he is lauded by the fans, he'd probably like to play for Spurs and enjoy the higher wages and status, however, looking around he has to fancy his chances that United might come in for him

So, realistically how much do we need to stump up for Austin? I Wouldn't want to go anywhere near £20mil but for something like 10mil, IF we have failed with other targets, Austin might be the one. Hmmmmm.

To be honest I can not see us getting Austin, the only way I see it happening is a last minute panic deal if everything falls through.

Back