• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

Put it this way i think if they had got a better result v Liverpool they'd be better prepared/focussed for the United game - whether intentional or not they're going to be giving the second leg more thought because of the result in the first, can't just flick a switch and forget about it.

Edit : i thought it was at OT too, City will win that even if they have both eyes on the 2nd leg then tbf

I get your point, I just think its more likely they burn themselves out completely over the two games than they dont go hell for leather against Utd through holding back for the Liverpool game.

Its a derby, its the title, its watching Mourinhos brick eating sneer at the final whistle - I think the opposite - even if Guardiola told them to hold back Im not sure they could.

DZxXZ9uW4AE5fjZ.jpg
Interesting. According to this we're more likely to finish 2nd and Yanited more likely to finish 4th. Which actually isn't too far off, given the relative form of each team.

Interesting. According to this we're more likely to finish 2nd and Yanited more likely to finish 4th. Which actually isn't too far off, given the relative form of each team.

Absolutely but these this game can turn quickly

I’m ultra confident of top 4 but a higher league finish helps us with champions league pots next season

City could win the title at OT, put everything they have left into the Liverpool game and roll over against us

or

fail to to clinch the title this weekend, limp out of the CL and take it all out on us.

Absolutely but these this game can turn quickly

I’m ultra confident of top 4 but a higher league finish helps us with champions league pots next season
It doesn't, actually. Only if we win the league does it help. Last year we finished 2nd, but were still in pot 3. Unless the rules changed.

City could win the title at OT, put everything they have left into the Liverpool game and roll over against us

or

fail to to clinch the title this weekend, limp out of the CL and take it all out on us.
I wish they go all out on us. If we beat them I want it to be with them playing at their best, not putting out a half-assed effort.

I think this whole idea of ‘maybe this team will try slightly less hard because of X’ is something we maybe needed to rely on in the pre-Poch years in order to scrape a result against the top 4. Not now. We are fudging good. Whether City have won the League or not, whether they have a CL follow up or not, we can beat them. We obviously have to play well and it will be a big game, but the other team’s circumstances are almost irrelevant.

Also, really interesting that Pep has decided to talk about being offered Pogba in a presser. He clearly wants to win against United. And reading that I think anything that can be done to cause more disarray against United’s egos can only be good for us as we push for second.

I think we can beat City though. They are good starters in a season, and we are good finishers. If Liverpool can do what they did, we can win.

It doesn't, actually. Only if we win the league does it help. Last year we finished 2nd, but were still in pot 3. Unless the rules changed.

Argh the points system
Saying that we should be higher than most now but then it comes down to the English split
And I assume pool will have more points now with getting to a later round

It makes a difference for the CL money. A big chunk is from TV pool (the money our broadcasters pay) and that is split 40:30:20:10% according to league position. The difference between finishing 2nd and 4th is substantial.

It makes a difference for the CL money. A big chunk is from TV pool (the money our broadcasters pay) and that is split 40:30:20:10% according to league position. The difference between finishing 2nd and 4th is substantial.
That's interesting. I didn't know that the CL TV money was allocated according to league position.

Argh the points system
Saying that we should be higher than most now but then it comes down to the English split
And I assume pool will have more points now with getting to a later round
Yes, but so would we. I think we'll be in Pot 2, based on our group stage results and the fact we will drop a Europa league year and add a CL year to our coefficient, which should count for more.

That's interesting. I didn't know that the CL TV money was allocated according to league position.

Only part of it, but a big chunk, probably about half is based on the TV money paid from that country and that is divided on league position. The rest is based on performance, games won in group and knockout phases. This year we did well (>£60m) with the results of the group phase and our share of the TV pool for second.

Last year Leicester got more than everyone except Juventus (finalists and big chunk of Italian TV money).

It’s why Leicester got more than Madrid the year they were in it

BT pay more so the epl teams get more and they got 40% so £70m

Yes, but so would we. I think we'll be in Pot 2, based on our group stage results and the fact we will drop a Europa league year and add a CL year to our coefficient, which should count for more.

That isn't how it works unfortunately.

CL and EL are seeded the same and it is based on 5 seasons worth of performance, rather than just 1.

We are in fact about to lose our 2nd best performing season out of the past 5 (15, 9, 12, 10, 21).

We're currently 19th in the co-efficient rankings so would need 3 teams above to not make the CL.

Currently our best bets are Seville, who look out of the CL placings. Dortmund are in a fight. Zenit are currently out of the CL places and Basel would havw to play a play-off I think.

Apparently Leicester earned more in TV money from the CL that year than Real Madrid because they were champions and Madrid finished 3rd (?)

Back